✟1,193,407.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
-
The Bible states the sun is the greater created light. The sun has no shadows because it is always fully lit. The moon has no shadows when it is fully lit.

Only from our viewpoint. All the elevated areas that are casting shadows are also hiding the shadows from view, but from a satellite orbiting the moon those shadows will be visible.
We also recently experienced a total lunar eclipse over in Western Australia, where the moon went from 'fully lit' to completely in the earth's shadow for a short time.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,022,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
-
The Bible states the sun is the greater created light. The sun has no shadows because it is always fully lit. The moon has no shadows when it is fully lit.

Is there a switch to turn the light on or off with the moon?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Only from our viewpoint. All the elevated areas that are casting shadows are also hiding the shadows from view, but from a satellite orbiting the moon those shadows will be visible.
We also recently experienced a total lunar eclipse over in Western Australia, where the moon went from 'fully lit' to completely in the earth's shadow for a short time.

Satellites can not orbit a convex moon

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟919,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
-
I believe the sun and moon reflect the circular shape of the original earth God brought forth from the sea in Genesis 1. That is before God broke up the earth into separate earth sections.
Your beliefs about the earth, sun , moon and the stars are pretty strange but harmless I suppose. Seems like it takes much more effort to continuously try to support your interpretation rather than accept the form and physics of the solar system and universe that has been observed for thousands of years with more knowledge daily.

• Winner
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Your beliefs about the earth, sun , moon and the stars are pretty strange but harmless I suppose. Seems like it takes much more effort to continuously try to support your interpretation rather than accept the form and physics of the solar system and universe that has been observed for thousands of years with more knowledge daily.
-
What have you personally observed that supports your belief.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,193,407.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,022,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
God gave us a round Earth, a round moon, round planets, a round sun....a moon that reflects light from the sun.

God gave us science to investigate His creation. To give us awesome insights into it all.

I guess some people interpret scripture to say otherwise. The Bible's main job is all about salvation. Its not a science book.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
The Moon as seen in it's proper location, in the sky or as The Bible states heaven or raqia. Where God placed the moon when He (God) created the moon, in the raqia called by God heaven or sky in English translations .

And God called the firmament Heaven (shamayim). So the evening and the morning were the second day.
shamayim: heaven, sky
Original Word: שָׁמַיִם
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: shamayim
Phonetic Spelling: (shaw-mah'-yim)
Definition: heaven, sky

DSCN9908+.jpg

DSCN9911+.jpg

DSCN9915+.jpg

DSCN9917+.jpg

DSCN9918+.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟490,372.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No, but they did and do orbit the spherical moon.

Actually they could orbit a convex moon as well. However such a planetoid would be unstable and in time would collapse into a spheroid, unless it was not very massive, but observations of Kuiper belt objects show irregular planetoids orbited by smaller bits of rock.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,022,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
-
The Moon as seen in it's proper location, in the sky or as The Bible states heaven or raqia. Where God placed the moon when He (God) created the moon, in the raqia called by God heaven or sky in English translations .

Obviously you do not understand what God created and how it all works and you continue to take your very own unique interpretation of scripture to mean something it is clearly not...

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,193,407.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
-

And God called the firmament Heaven (shamayim). So the evening and the morning were the second day.
shamayim: heaven, sky
Original Word: שָׁמַיִם
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: shamayim
Phonetic Spelling: (shaw-mah'-yim)
Definition: heaven, sky

I don't know what you think your photos prove, but why is it that the moon is out in the daytime when God created it to rule the night?

And God made the two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night; he made the stars also.​

Obviously you must reject your observation of the moon in the daytime since it is contrary to the plain reading of Scripture.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't know what you think your photos prove, but why is it that the moon is out in the daytime when God created it to rule the night?

And God made the two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night; he made the stars also.​

Obviously you must reject your observation of the moon in the daytime since it is contrary to the plain reading of Scripture.

It did rule the night last night, brightest light in the sky .

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,193,407.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It did rule the night last night, brightest light in the sky .
And other nights it doesn't even appear, but that is contrary to God's creation as recorded in Scripture so our observation must be false (according to your reasoning)

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
And other nights it doesn't even appear, but that is contrary to God's creation as recorded in Scripture so our observation must be false (according to your reasoning)

...You are reading the Bible through science eyes and can not actually see was The Bible states.

...The sun was created to give light on the earth during the day, the moon and stars for night. The Bible never states the moon was created to give light to the night, every night. When the moon is not out the stars are giving light to the night.

...The moon and stars may be seen during the day but they are not the ruling light as the sun's light outshines the light of the moon and stars during the day. So the moon and stars may be seen during the day but they are not the ruling light, The Bible never states the moon would never not be seen during the day

and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth,

To Him who made great lights,
For His mercy endures forever—
The sun to rule by day,
For His mercy endures forever;
The moon and stars to rule by night,
For His mercy endures forever

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,022,981.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
...You are reading the Bible through science eyes and can not actually see was The Bible states.

...The sun was created to give light on the earth during the day, the moon and stars for night. The Bible never states the moon was created to give light to the night, every night. When the moon is not out the stars are giving light to the night.

...The moon and stars may be seen during the day but they are not the ruling light as the sun's light outshines the light of the moon and stars during the day. So the moon and stars may be seen during the day but they are not the ruling light, The Bible never states the moon would never not be seen during the day

and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also. God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth,

To Him who made great lights,
For His mercy endures forever—
The sun to rule by day,
For His mercy endures forever;
The moon and stars to rule by night,
For His mercy endures forever

Again, extremely bad interpretation of scripture!!

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok, first and foremost.. and very seriously... this is not a flat earth related topic... Not for me. So please leave the whole FE out of this or start your own thread.

This is about a phenomenon that, quite honestly, I have questioned since I was very young. However, I put it aside as life went on.

Now, I have heard others speak of it and it has raised some very simple yet important questions..

How on earth does the moon look the way it does if it is reflecting the sun?

Let's look at the phases, shall we?

The-Moon-Phases-Facts.jpg

First, look at the "Waxing Crescent". Pictured above is not the last one before a new moon. There are several more before the moon is not illuminated.

Still, when I go to work, it is dark... yet there is the sliver of a moon in the sky.

Ask yourself, if the moon must always be fully illuminated, by the sun, there must always be a full moon to some area of space. Earth just cannot see it... So, therefore, when the moon is but a sliver, the rest of the moon, facing away from me, must still be fully illuminated.

So, where would the sun have to be to fully illuminate the surface of the moon "except" the tiny sliver I can see.

The sun would have to be opposite me. It should be in the sky, on the opposite side of me than the dark side that I see... Yet, the sun is not even up yet.

Part 1: This is a slightly loaded question. The moon does not emit it's own visible light, as it reflects the majority of light directly from the sun. A small amount of sunlight is reflected off from Earth, which then reflects off the moon, known as Earthshine. If the moon is a crescent, on a perfectly dark sky, you may notice the sphere of the moon appears a dark grey, which is from Earthshine.

TLDR: Moonlight is sunlight which reflects off the moon's surface. Earthshine is sunlight which reflected off of Earth, which then bounced back off the moon, and is visible from back on earth.

Part 2: The moon does emit it's own invisible infrared light though, which can be seen most easily by infrared telescopes during a lunar eclipse. The illuminated side of the moon tends to get to temperatures approaching 250°F (120°C), while the moon's night side can get down to -208°F (-130°C). However, all objects with temperature above -459°F (-273°C) emit infrared light.

Moon in different wavelengths of light: Moonlight Is a Many-Splendored Thing

• Agree
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,193,407.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, I'm using your methodology to show how inconsistent you are.
..The sun was created to give light on the earth during the day, the moon and stars for night. The Bible never states the moon was created to give light to the night, every night.
So here you are using science to inform your interpretation of Scripture rather than just accepting the plain reading of Scripture. Nice own goal.
When the moon is not out the stars are giving light to the night.
But the Scriptures only state that the moon AND the stars rules the night, not the moon OR the stars.
Once again, you are using science (observation) to inform your interpretation of Scripture. You are not being consistent.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
_
Another fine example (photo) of the moon in the sky or heaven (the raqia). The Hebrew word (raqia) describing the space God created that separates waters from waters. Raqia has been translated into English as dome, expanse, vault and firmament but never to outer space. The raqia after being created was named by God, heaven or sky (English translation), the Hebrew word is shamayim.

DSCN9929+.jpg

Upvote 0