Continental U.S.
✟980,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find several of the U.S. media advertisements touting the possibility of a type of free Medicare health add-on to be very disingenuous.

This type of plan, as I understand it, is really only free for those on Medicare who are also on Medicaid.* So, for this generally low-income group, a free Medicare plan sounds like and is a great deal, covering a wide range of services, like dental, vision, meals, transportation, etc.

My beef is that the ads do not mention that "free" is free only for these low-income (unless there is some miniature font clarification that my eye avoids). This tactic is in effect a hook that can lead the better-off to call the toll free number for clarification. The wealthier would have to be told that although not free to them, there would be premium paying plans available.

Certainly, the needy could benefit from this ad. Still, the ad is aimed at all with the
mantra of "free" and "you deserve" pounded into the listeners. No, for most in the large audience viewing the ad, the product marketed will not be free. They should be prepared to be offered services at a cost.

It doesn't add to my argument, but there is a TV ad using the method mentioned that is announced by a popular, retired athlete. He should be prosperous enough to receive all of his healthcare of a pay-as-you-go, concierge basis.

Last edited:

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟183,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I will admit that I see a lot of advertisements for "government" services that are troubling. I'm 52 so still quite a ways from the government retirement services, but close enough that I'm making retirement plans. For someone who might not have their full faculties or wasnt able to make good plans, these programs could be very costly and ineffective.

• Agree
Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟980,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, so true GreekOrthodox. I have been able to use my experience in the insurance world as a platform for studying plans. But, I have made some mistakes that cost me. Wise, trusted counsel is to be valued.

• Agree
Reactions: GreekOrthodox
Upvote 0