Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One day reading this birck Dk, the holy spirit notified me this is talking about the old covenant vs the new covenant.

You can't put the new covenant into old wineskins (old covenant), or else the wineskins would break, and there would be a huge mess to clean up. You put the new covenant (the new promises of God) into the new wineskins, and both are preserved.

I could be wrong, would like to know others interpretation too. It has been a long time since I even studied the covenants.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟286,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
One day reading this birck Dk, the holy spirit notified me this is talking about the old covenant vs the new covenant.

You can't put the new covenant into old wineskins (old covenant), or else the wineskins would break, and there would be a huge mess to clean up. You put the new covenant (the new promises of God) into the new wineskins, and both are preserved.

I could be wrong, would like to know others interpretation too. It has been a long time since I even studied the covenants.

The entire ministry of Jesus was spent under the the Mosaic Covenant and the New Covenant wasn't instituted until the end of his ministry, so it doesn't make sense to interpret Jesus as making a point at the start of his ministry that would undermine everything that he would teach for the rest of his ministry, nor does it make sense to think that Jesus instituted the New Covenant in order to undermine any part of his ministry. The fact that many of the laws of the Mosaic Covenant are repeated in the NT would also undermine your interpretation. Furthermore, your interpretation has nothing to do with responding to the question that Jesus was asked in Matthew 9:14 about why his disciples weren't fasting.

Upvote 0

CMDRExorcist

Theology Explorer
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2011
Texas
Visit site
✟152,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The above responses perfectly cover the theological reason. The technical reason Jesus probably used that analogy is because new wine would release more gases as it fermented, which would quickly destroy the old wineskins. New wineskins would have the resilience to withstand the increased gases. Which, if you think about it, is a perfect representation of the increased theological gases released by the people of the new covenant.

Upvote 0