• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Losing salvation

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Can we lose the holy spirit through deliberate sins? I feel like I lost my salvation through grieving the hoky spirit, can anyone help?

A person can not lose their salvation. Also it is better to refer what you have received from God as Eternal Life salvation. Because salvation can have different meanings in The Bible. And they are not always about salvation from hell.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can we lose the holy spirit through deliberate sins? I feel like I lost my salvation through grieving the hoky spirit, can anyone help?
You did not lose your salvation, your concern proves that you are still saved.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What did Christ say? Unless I go the holy Spirit will not come.. He said He will be with you forever.

Now know this and remember.. Christ already died for the sin of the world He can not die again. Jewish people in Peter, Pauls day that were saved would sin and go try to offer a sacrifice for that sin. Paul or the sweet sweet holy Spirit through Paul said...there is more sacrifice for that sin. Haha the song playing now "I know you wont let me go. you will never let me go"...

So we can not freely sin but we fall we get up dust off keep going and try not to stay in that sin. Some times we get stuck but He loves us and will never leave us Christ said and He said I didn't come to condemn the world but to save it. So no He is forever with you.. Luke 11 13

Reactions: TPop
Upvote 0

newme20

May 21, 2023
Spokane
✟10,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did you mean paul said
What did Christ say? Unless I go the holy Spirit will not come.. He said He will be with you forever.

Now know this and remember.. Christ already died for the sin of the world He can not die again. Jewish people in Peter, Pauls day that were saved would sin and go try to offer a sacrifice for that sin. Paul or the sweet sweet holy Spirit through Paul said...there is more sacrifice for that sin. Haha the song playing now "I know you wont let me go. you will never let me go"...

So we can not freely sin but we fall we get up dust off keep going and try not to stay in that sin. Some times we get stuck but He loves us and will never leave us Christ said and He said I didn't come to condemn the world but to save it. So no He is forever with you.. Luke 11 I'm hoping. Thanks

Upvote 0

newme20

May 21, 2023
Spokane
✟10,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No ....It's unalterable seed.
I'm hoping, but I'm afraid I have refuted the work in me and made myself become unrenewable. Like in 2nd peter i think we're it says if we again become entangled in the sins we were freed from the last state becomes worse then the first. So it seems there is still a responsibility on our end to not allow sin to have dominion over us and that if we do we can fall?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

newme20

May 21, 2023
Spokane
✟10,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm hoping, but I'm afraid I have refuted the work in me and made myself become unrenewable. Like in 2nd peter i think we're it says if we again become entangled in the sins we were freed from the last state becomes worse then the first. So it seems there is still a responsibility on our end to not allow sin to have dominion over us and that if we do we can fall?
I also don't have the desire in my hear for the word like I did I don't have a fear of the lord. It seems like as hard as I try I can't get motivated by the word. I just resist sin by my own will because I'm so scared, it seems like god has caused me to be reprobate and I no it?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
He repented.

Repentance does not give a person God's free gift of Eternal Life, belief in Jesus does.

What actually happen is when Peter denied Jesus, the three times, he became out of fellowship in the faith. He never lost his Eternal Life and it is seen Jesus restoring Peter back into fellowship in John 21.

Once a person believes in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life that one act of faith in a moment in time can not be undone. Just like if you were to say something nice to someone that complement you gave that person can never be not said. You may at a later time say something bad about that person but still that does not undo the compliment you gave at another time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

newme20

May 21, 2023
Spokane
✟10,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Repentance does not give a person God's free gift of Eternal Life, belief in Jesus does.

What actually happen is when Peter denied Jesus, the three times, he became out of fellowship in the faith. He never lost his Eternal Life and it is seen Jesus restoring Peter back into fellowship in John 21.

Once a person believes in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life that one act of faith in a moment in time can not be undone. Just like if you were to say something nice to someone that complement you gave that person can never be not said. You may at a later time say something bad about that person but still that does not undo the compliment you gave at another time.
Well how can we ever take anything the bible says seriously take its warning seriously if we believe it can never happen to us? Why do we say no to sin if we truly believe nothing we do matters eternally anymore now that we no god, but I don't believe when people say that because I'm pretty shure you wouldn't test it? No when the holy spirit convicts you obey don't you well why? If you believe you can get away with anything and still inherent eternal life you would sin because our flesh sins that's what it does. So what stops us is a balanced knowledge of God's holiness as well? Isn't that how God discaplines us in keeping with his character of being holy and knowing our hearts so we can't lie to god?

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟254,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Well how can we ever take anything the bible says seriously take its warning seriously if we believe it can never happen to us? Why do we say no to sin if we truly believe nothing we do matters eternally anymore now that we no god, but I don't believe when people say that because I'm pretty shure you wouldn't test it? No when the holy spirit convicts you obey don't you well why? If you believe you can get away with anything and still inherent eternal life you would sin because our flesh sins that's what it does. So what stops us is a balanced knowledge of God's holiness as well? Isn't that how God discaplines us in keeping with his character of being holy and knowing our hearts so we can't lie to god?
-
Looks like you are just another victim of the gospel of doubt that is popular now and i guess really has been around for awhile.

You write but really do not post the areas of The Bible you are speaking about. So it is hard to really see what you are addressing or asking about.

I see you mention sin. Do you not know Jesus took away the sin of the world. That means sin is not a barrier between a person being able to believe in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life. And sin is also not a falling point for a born again child of God, sin can never cause a person to lose their born again life they received at the very moment of faith in Jesus.

You also mention inherent, that is a word that is connected to the rewards part of the born again child of God's Eternal Life. It depends on how well they lived their life as a born again child of God. They lived a good life serving God they will inherent eternal rewards. If they fail in their earthly life by letting sin dominate their life, then the born again child of God will have a loss of eternal life inheritance. Inheriting eternal life is not the same as receiving Eternal Life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,938,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello Newme20, when you came to saving faith in Christ you were able to do so because God gave you a new nature .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3; Ephesians 2:1-5, though our old (sinful) nature/old man/old self remains (hopefully) in the background, for as long as we are live. This is why the Bible tells us that we are in for a day by day/moment by moment fight whenever our old nature/old self (no doubt with the help of the enemy most times) rears its ugly head in our lives again .. e.g. Ephesians 4:22-24 cf Romans 12:2.

As for taking sin seriously (at least for me), my principle focus in life was radically changed from wanting to please myself all of the time, to wanting to please God all of the time instead (on the day that I finally came to saving faith in Him, 11/2/86, and that new focus has not changed since). This was due to the permanent change that God wrought in my nature back then (that I just mentioned above), as well because of my newfound and growing love for God. So, I never worry about going to Hell or losing my salvation when I sin anymore, because it never comes to that. Once I realize that I've sinned (even at the level of a foible or peccadillo), I feel ashamed and ask to be forgiven immediately .. e.g.
1 John 1:9. This is because my principal concern lies in the knowledge that I have (yet again) displeased the One who loves me, the One who saved me and who continues to sanctify me, the One who I love, so I feel ashamed (and at times horrified) even by the thought that I have sinned against Him.

As an unbeliever I remember having a fear of sinning because of the eternal consequence of doing so, but the fear that I felt back then does not compare to the depth of the grief that I experience now because of sin (again, not because I fear of God's punishment/wrath, I never do anymore .. e.g.
1 John 4 :18, but because I know that have displeased the One who loves me, the One who died to save me).

Did you know that God's love for those of us who are/who will be His is just like He is, "from everlasting" .. e.g. Jeremiah 31:3? What that means is that there was never a time in eternity past (IOW, long before we were conceived, woven together and born) when God did not already love us :) It's thoughts like that one (Jeremiah 31:3) that led pastor/theologian Charles Spurgeon to write the following (as the ending thought to one of his daily devotionals),

"Everlasting love shall be the pillow for my head this night" .. Morning & Evening/Evening, Feb 27th.​
God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - from what I've read above, you seem like you are a true believer (albeit one who has perhaps walked away from the faith a bit). That said, we are all commanded to make sure that we are who we believe ourselves to be, yes .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 13:5. If you'd like to know some of the ways to do so, just let us know :) Finally, have you talked to your pastor about all of this yet? If not, I would do so forthwith :oldthumbsup:

Pink - Grieving Over Sin.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

newme20

May 21, 2023
Spokane
✟10,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello Newme20, when you came to saving faith in Christ you were able to do so because God gave you a new nature .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:26-27; John 3:3; Ephesians 2:1-5, though our old (sinful) nature/old man/old self remains (hopefully) in the background, for as long as we are live. This is why the Bible tells us that we are in for a day by day/moment by moment fight whenever our old nature/old self (no doubt with the help of the enemy most times) rears its ugly head in our lives again .. e.g. Ephesians 4:22-24 cf Romans 12:2.

As for taking sin seriously (at least for me), my principle focus in life was radically changed from wanting to please myself all of the time, to wanting to please God all of the time instead (on the day that I finally came to saving faith in Him, 11/2/86, and that new focus has not changed since). This was due to the permanent change that God wrought in my nature back then (that I just mentioned above), as well because of my newfound and growing love for God. So, I never worry about going to Hell or losing my salvation when I sin anymore, because it never comes to that. Once I realize that I've sinned (even at the level of a foible or peccadillo), I feel ashamed and ask to be forgiven immediately .. e.g.
1 John 1:9. This is because my principal concern lies in the knowledge that I have (yet again) displeased the One who loves me, the One who saved me and who continues to sanctify me, the One who I love, so I feel ashamed (and at times horrified) even by the thought that I have sinned against Him.

As an unbeliever I remember having a fear of sinning because of the eternal consequence of doing so, but the fear that I felt back then does not compare to the depth of the grief that I experience now because of sin (again, not because I fear of God's punishment/wrath, I never do anymore .. e.g.
1 John 4 :18, but because I know that have displeased the One who loves me, the One who died to save me).

Did you know that God's love for those of us who are/who will be His is just like He is, "from everlasting" .. e.g. Jeremiah 31:3? What that means is that there was never a time in eternity past (IOW, long before we were conceived, woven together and born) when God did not already love us :) It's thoughts like that one (Jeremiah 31:3) that led pastor/theologian Charles Spurgeon to write the following (as the ending thought to one of his daily devotionals),

"Everlasting love shall be the pillow for my head this night" .. Morning & Evening/Evening, Feb 27th.​
God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - from what I've read above, you seem like you are a true believer (albeit one who has perhaps walked away from the faith a bit). That said, we are all commanded to make sure that we are who we believe ourselves to be, yes .. e.g. 2 Corinthians 13:5. If you'd like to know some of the ways to do so, just let us know :) Finally, have you talked to your pastor about all of this yet? If not, I would do so forthwith :oldthumbsup:

Thanks for this great reply. I am a born again christian I remember the day I was saved and growing in my faith after. God saved me from my old life and renewed my mind by his word and gave me full assurance that I once enjoyed i grew for 3 years got astablished in a church body and was growing. I was still driven though to other things after I became comfortable and seemed to be wanting other things with my faith, and I remember not heeding his word and being divided to the world, not heeding his word that says to be holy in everything as he is holy I wanted both. I still loved God but seemed i was quenching the spirit from doing everything he wanted to do for me. That's when I got extremely stressed because i felt i was under much conviction from the holy spirit so i sought away to numb myself from his discapline which brought about his withdrawl from my life. It seemed after i commited the sin about the fourth time he left. The next day i tried to confess my sins like 1st john 1 verse 9 as i always did and keep walking with my faith but i didnt seem to feel him the same. It's been 8 years since and I'm like a hollow shell I have the knowledge of the truth, I have mental consent to the word but not an intimate knowledge anymore it seems.

• Informative
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,938,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for this great reply. I am a born again christian I remember the day I was saved and growing in my faith after. God saved me from my old life and renewed my mind by his word and gave me full assurance that I once enjoyed i grew for 3 years got astablished in a church body and was growing. I was still driven though to other things after I became comfortable and seemed to be wanting other things with my faith, and I remember not heeding his word and being divided to the world, not heeding his word that says to be holy in everything as he is holy I wanted both. I still loved God but seemed i was quenching the spirit from doing everything he wanted to do for me. That's when I got extremely stressed because i felt i was under much conviction from the holy spirit so i sought away to numb myself from his discapline which brought about his withdrawl from my life. It seemed after i commited the sin about the fourth time he left. The next day i tried to confess my sins like 1st john 1 verse 9 as i always did and keep walking with my faith but i didnt seem to feel him the same. It's been 8 years since and I'm like a hollow shell I have the knowledge of the truth, I have mental consent to the word but not an intimate knowledge anymore it seems.
Hello again newme20, I will renew (to further emphasize) my recommendation/advice to seek counsel from your pastor concerning all of this .. e.g. Hebrews 13:17. This will also help him know how to be in prayer for you, specifically.

That said, I have a question for you for clarity's sake (about some of what you just wrote). When you said that you were still driven to other things, how quickly (after the day that you came to saving faith) did you begin to desire and pursue "other things" again? (by "other things" I assume that you mean things of this world, yes?)

Also, it's important to remember that our "feelings" are normally the very last thing that we should be listening to (concerning spiritual matters), especially when sin is involved. Satan is masterful at using our feelings to convince us that what God says is not true (at least for us anyway). So, first and foremost, we need to be continually growing in the knowledge and understanding of God's word (because the better that we know the Truth, the quicker and easier it will be to recognize Satan's lies and deceptions/half-truths about it).

Finally, we must be DETERMINED to believe/trust God by ~always~ choosing to take Him at His word, no matter what (no matter what our "feelings" are telling us in the moment and/or what Satan may be whispering in our ears, IOW, ~anything~ that tells us otherwise). By doing so (by choosing to believe/trust exactly what God says to us in His word as true), you will also be both honoring and pleasing to Him (unless you feel that He is ~not~ worthy of your trust for some reason, and if that is the case, please let me/us know right away).

This (trusting God/His word, rather than Satan and/or your feelings) is not easy for us to do at first (as our feelings are hard for us to look past), but I promise you that it will become easier and easier to do as time goes on :oldthumbsup:

Here are three verses that I believe you will find useful to remember (as practical/real life help in winning the spiritual battle that you are facing).

2 Corinthians 10
5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.
Ephesians 6
12 Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
James 4
7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

So, whenever you have thoughts/feelings that enter your mind that you know are not true (anything that stands opposed to what God tells us in the Bible, IOW), take those thoughts "captive" immediately and REFUSE to accept them (again and again and again, as often as necessary). This will be difficult to do at first and it will not "feel" natural (as I said above), and Satan will probably continue to attack you with the same thoughts/feelings over and over again, so it will probably become both frustrating and tiring to do so, but when you persevere in resisting the enemy (even so), know that He will finally "flee from you", just like God promises us that He will (this will not happen w/o a great deal of effort and persistence on your part, especially when you first begin to do so).

If you miss him (meaning Satan :oops:), no worries, because he'll be back :(, but I think you'll find that his "visits" will become shorter and less frequent once he realizes that you are going to resist him whenever he shows up (by believing/trusting God's truth instead of his lies).

Lastly, the feeling of "hollowness" that you are experiencing right now will begin to lesson (as you begin to put your faith and trust in God/in His word again, and begin to walk in obedience to it, of course) and the "joy" of your salvation (which includes that "feeling" of closeness to Him) will return to you over time :) (so be patient). Remember, it's not God who leaves us when we sin, rather, we're the ones who choose to distance ourselves from Him (and thereby from the close fellowship that we once experienced with Him).

So (for instance), the next time that you ask God to forgive you and cleanse you of your sins (1 John 1:9), choose to believe (to know) that that is EXACTLY what has happened .. because He told you that it would (even if it doesn't "FEEL" like it has in the moment). Nothing in our lives is more important than knowing Him and growing in our relationship with Him, our loving Abba (heavenly "Father") who ~always~ wants what is best for us :)

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - I've found that choosing to look for things to rejoice in and thank Him for throughout the day (even the simplest of things) is a great help to my walk because it helps me draw nearer to Him (and it helps us move toward being obedient to the wonderful commands that follow, which are all a GREAT blessing to us, yes :))

1 Thessalonians 5
16 Rejoice always;
17 pray without ceasing;
18 in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

Last edited:
Upvote 0