Looking forward: New Stuff from JJ Abrams?

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,712.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
So.... With LOST finishing up (I'm still in some degree of denial, lol) what do you think about new shows coming up from JJ Abrams? From what I understand he's got several things on the go, in addition to continuing with Fringe. I've been watching Fringe from day one, but am really concerned about how that one has unfolded. It's got nowhere near the clean continuity of Lost or even Alias. I feel sometimes like they're making it up as they go along. Yet there's serious potential still. I really hope they're able to bring things into a solid show for the next season. But what about some other possibilities... Any hopes for the future yet? He's all about mystery, and I think that holds a lot of promise for something else brilliant in the near future.

Very cool talk from Abrams if you haven't already seen it (some mention of LOST, which is very cool):
http://www.ted.com/talks/j_j_abrams_mystery_box.html3

desmalia

Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,712.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I'm still trying to forget it.... (thought it was horrible!!)
Tell me about it! That ep was just plain embarrassing. Horrible. I wish I'd missed most of it and only saw the last 30 seconds. I sure hope they don't do that ever again.

Upvote 0

desmalia

Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,712.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Do you remember the ending of Alias? Did you like how that ended?

I hope they don't end Lost in a similar way. I want Lost to end in a shocking or exciting way. I hope it's not a predictable ending.

Any thoughts? :wave:

The Alias ending was very scrambly and had the feel of a last minute desperate attempt to tie everything up. That show went through some bad changes as cast came and went, ratings dipped, and writers tried to keep up with the changes. And in the end it was nothing like the first couple of seasons. I'm also not sure they ever had an end game in mind. It was definitely weird and not like the feel of the show for the most part. I don't expect that with Lost because right from day one they had the end planned already. And this time around they've chosen when to end the show on their schedule instead of waiting for low ratings and network cancellation.

Upvote 0

FatBurger

14% + Jesus = victory
Site Supporter
May 12, 2004
Portland, OR
✟38,868.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm really hoping that Lost makes some good changes in the way these types of TV shows work. I think Heroes was a direct result of Lost's success, with a large budget and character-driven story. Unfortunately Heroes ended up kind of sucking because they had no plan for it.

Lost was also one of the very few shows to have a planned ending, instead of just running until it got cancelled.

Hopefully we'll see one or two new shows that are just as ambitious, but have a very planned story. We may even see a resurgence of miniseries - with the way TV writing, acting, and everything else has improved, I think that may not be a bad thing.

Upvote 0