Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
[Gentlemen, too!]
Proverbs 31:10-31.

As I dive deeper into my journey with Christ and into the young adult program at my church, I hear more and more of the Proverbs 31 woman.
"Base your character off of this woman, ladies."
"Oh, I really just want to marry a Proverbs 31 kind of woman."
"You won't get anywhere in your relationships if you aren't striving to be a Proverbs 31 woman." (Okay, maybe not exactly this... but this is the direction it has started to go.)
I've see two sides of, what seems to be, a very wide spectrum on this passage. There are those who literally base their entire character off of this women, striving to be everything that she is and (seemingly) with no avail. Then, there are those who almost reject the whole idea of a Proverbs 31 woman.

What do you all think of the pressure of a Proverbs 31 woman?

• Useful
Reactions: Soledad

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a guy, I've read Proverbs 31 a few times. I've always found it to be a bit broad, I think people read too much into it. It seems to me like it's just describing a strong, hardworking, compassionate, loving woman. All positive traits, but I'm not sure where people seem to get other ideas from it.

Reactions: DabriaShae
Upvote 0

Tess

Not a tame Lion
Jan 12, 2015
England
✟18,399.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It doesn't bother me at all.

I think people get a bit overly attached to Proverbs 31 and make a big fuss over it because there aren't many passages of the Bible that talk about women in a direct, admirable way like Proverbs 31 does. That's the only reason in my opinion.

Reactions: DabriaShae
Upvote 0

NJA

Jan 9, 2004
Near London
Visit site
✟48,657.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some people think of "her" as a charitable entrepreneur
But there are many business people who provide for their families and communities at home or abroad, "philanthropists".

However this passage is not talking about man's "good works", it is talking spiritually and can only be understood by people who are walking in the Spirit of God.
It is actually talking about such people!
They are the "bride" of Jesus.
I won't go through all verses ... v13: "She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands"

Wool is sheep's clothing, the love and goodness of God that keeps you warm in a spiritually cold environment.
Flax gives linen, seeing the situation as God sees it, to keep you cool in sticky situations (Pr. 17:27, "excellent" = cool)

Upvote 0