Visit site
✟1,374,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the United States of America, which is where I live, today is Mother’s Day, which is a day of national celebration of all mothers. And in the book of Proverbs, chapter 31, we have an example of an extraordinary woman of God who sets a godly example for all us women today, whether or not we have ever given birth to children. And so I am going to be looking today at some of her attributes which we, as women today, can all aspire to. But don’t be disturbed if all this does not apply to you, for it won’t all apply.

“An excellent wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She seeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.
14 She is like the ships of the merchant;
she brings her food from afar.
15 She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and portions for her maidens.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
17 She dresses herself with strength
and makes her arms strong.
18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.
19 She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
20 She opens her hand to the poor
and reaches out her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes bed coverings for herself;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates
when he sits among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers sashes to the merchant.
25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.” (Proverbs 31:10-31 ESV)

The woman being spoken of here is a businesswoman. She is not just a homemaker, a mother, and a wife, but she runs her own business, too, apparently out of her own home. And she has maidservants to help her. And she is a hard worker, too, who is not slack (lazy), but who diligently works with her hands. She is so dedicated to her work that she rises before dawn to provide food for her household, and portions for her maidens (her servants or employees), and her lamp does not go out at night.

So, what can we gain from that example? In all that we do in this life it should be not only for our own good, but for the good of others, and not for selfish gain. In whatever ways that we serve God and others we should set a godly example of dedication and diligence and commitment to our callings, and we should not be lazy. And this isn’t saying that we can’t rest or take breaks from our work, but that we should be those who are not idle and slothful, and we should be those who are dedicated to our work.

This woman does her husband good, and not harm, all the days of her life. But this has to be in the eyes of God and according to the Scriptures and not in the eyes of humans and of worldly and ungodly influences. For what the world defines as “good” may be the opposite of how God defines “good.” For good in the eyes of God is all that is godly, upright, morally pure, honest, faithful, and obedient to the Lord. So to do good to our husbands is to do what is good in the sight of God, and not in the sight of the world.

[Genesis 2:24; Hebrews 13:4; 1 Peter 3:1-7; 2 Peter 2:13-19; 1 Corinthians 5:1-2; 1 Corinthians 6:9-20; Ephesians 5:1-33; Colossians 3:18-19; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-8; Titus 2:3-5; Matthew 5:28; Matthew 15:19-20; Matthew 19:9; Mark 7:20-22; Romans 13:9; Galatians 5:13-21]

Now it says here that the heart of her husband trusts in her. And her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land. Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. If you have a husband like that, you are blessed, provided that all this falls under the authorship and leadership and ownership of God in our lives and that this is not according to the standards of a sinful world and fleshly appetites. If your husband praises you for your walk of faith, wonderful!

But please understand here that in the New Testament we are taught by Jesus that he did not come to the earth to give peace, but rather division. For if our faith in Jesus Christ is genuine faith, the members of our own families may turn against us if we are serving the Lord Jesus with our lives (not necessarily with perfection) with the diligence and dedication of this Proverbs 31 woman. So, no matter how dedicated to doing good we may be, it does not mean that our family members will trust us or praise us for it.

[Matt 5:10-12; Matt 10:16-25; Matt 24:9-14; Luke 6:22-23; Luke 12:49-53; Luke 21:12-19; John 15:1-21; John 16:33; John 17:14; Acts 14:22; Rom 5:3-5; Eph 6:10-20; Phil 3:7-11; 1 Pet 1:6-7; 1 Pet 4:12-17; 2 Tim 3:12; 1 Thess 3:1-5; Jas 1:2-4; 2 Co 1:3-11; Heb 12:3-12; 1 Jn 3:13; Rev 6:9-11; Rev 7:9-17; Rev 11:1-3; Rev 12:17; Rev 13:1-18; Rev 14:1-13]

Lastly, this godly woman dresses herself with strength and dignity, and she makes her arms strong, not necessarily physically, but spiritually she is strong in the Lord and in his strength, and daily she puts on the armor of God with which to fight off Satan’s evil schemes against her. So, even if she does not receive recognition and praise and adoration, but she receives rejection and even persecution, in return, she will continue strong in her walk of faith in the Lord Jesus in service to him as her Lord (Master).

She is also a woman who opens her mouth with wisdom, which should be the wisdom of God. And the teachings of kindness are on her tongue. But the kindness of God is his grace to us, and his grace, which is bringing us salvation, is training us to renounce (say “No!” to) ungodliness and worldly passions and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives while we wait for our Lord’s return. So this is the “kindness” that should be on her tongue, and the wisdom should be godly and morally pure wisdom, not of the flesh.

And she is not a person who flatters others for her own advantage so that they will like her, but she is a woman of integrity whose words can be trusted. For she is not a deceitful person, but she is a woman who walks in the fear of the Lord (in reverence, obedience, and submission to God) and who serves the Lord even if it costs her friends and family and the approval of others, for she is willing to sacrifice her own reputation for the good of others and for their salvation from sin, in truth and in righteousness.

As the Deer

By Martin J. Nystrom
Based off Psalm 42:1

As the deer panteth for the water
So my soul longeth after You
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship You

You alone are my strength, my shield
To You alone may my spirit yield
You alone are my heart's desire
And I long to worship You

Caution: This link may contain ads