• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Just wondering....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlondieLashes

Finally a butterfly...
Aug 1, 2005
Standing right behind you! ;)
✟19,697.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am wondering what to do about my father. He has paranoid schizophrenia and has had it since way before I was born. My father was very abusive towards myself, my sister and my mother. He does not admit he has a mental illness and refuses to take any medication. He is now in his 60's and lives somewhere in Los Angeles either alone or with a new girlfriend (I have not had contact with him in about 4 years and he changes "girlfriends" like crazy). He left my mom a few years ago for a mail-order-bride from Vietnam who was in her 20's. He has always been a very destructive, abusive, angry, impossible-to-talk-to kind of man. The problem I have is that he is my dad and I still worry about him. He's in his 60's with no retirement (he could never hold a job), mentally unstable, and alone (or at least has no family around). It breaks my heart and I wonder if there is anything I can do. In the past everything I try to do to help him backfires as it just makes him upset and abusive towards me. My hubby tells me to stay far, far away as he has seen the type of damage my father can do to me. The problem is I can't help but care and I worry about him dying alone. I guess I am wondering if there is any reasoning at all with a paranoid schizphrenic who refuses to admit their disease and refuses any treatment. I pray for him alot and I sometimes think this is the best I can do. In the past everytime I jsut talk to him he says or does something very hurtful.

Reactions: Nan1

Exorcist

Sep 29, 2005
✟468.00
Faith
Christian
BlondieLashes said:
I am wondering what to do about my father. He has paranoid schizophrenia and has had it since way before I was born.

My friend, I'm so sorry about all of this. Please know my wife & I will pray for YOU!

Regarding your father, I don't know. I do not know you and the whole story so it would difficult to offer advice not knowing more. Just be careful and listen to the advise your husband may have, as he is your spiritual leader.

Sounds like your father may need to talk with a believer whom loves Jesus & whom understands the demonic as he may have opened many doors to Satan.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Exorcist said:
My friend, I'm so sorry about all of this. Please know my wife & I will pray for YOU!

Regarding your father, I don't know. I do not know you and the whole story so it would difficult to offer advice not knowing more. Just be careful and listen to the advise your husband may have, as he is your spiritual leader.

Sounds like your father may need to talk with a believer whom loves Jesus & whom understands the demonic as he may have opened many doors to Satan.
A Person can have paranoid scizophrenia without being pocessed by demons, pure and simple

Upvote 0

artjack

Jul 19, 2005
✟1,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wish you peace & in time it will come you need not worry to much, it is sad to tink we all will depart sometime but it is nice to know people care. I would say it is a good idea not to look to far into the future! who knows what tomorrow brings never mind the future.try to be happy with today

Upvote 0

revduane

Nov 3, 2005
✟2,866.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
BlondieLashes said:
I am wondering what to do about my father. He has paranoid schizophrenia and has had it since way before I was born. My father was very abusive towards myself, my sister and my mother. He does not admit he has a mental illness and refuses to take any medication. He is now in his 60's and lives somewhere in Los Angeles either alone or with a new girlfriend (I have not had contact with him in about 4 years and he changes "girlfriends" like crazy). He left my mom a few years ago for a mail-order-bride from Vietnam who was in her 20's. He has always been a very destructive, abusive, angry, impossible-to-talk-to kind of man. The problem I have is that he is my dad and I still worry about him. He's in his 60's with no retirement (he could never hold a job), mentally unstable, and alone (or at least has no family around). It breaks my heart and I wonder if there is anything I can do. In the past everything I try to do to help him backfires as it just makes him upset and abusive towards me. My hubby tells me to stay far, far away as he has seen the type of damage my father can do to me. The problem is I can't help but care and I worry about him dying alone. I guess I am wondering if there is any reasoning at all with a paranoid schizphrenic who refuses to admit their disease and refuses any treatment. I pray for him alot and I sometimes think this is the best I can do. In the past everytime I jsut talk to him he says or does something very hurtful.

Hey Blondie.

Can you imagine what God goes through, loving all of us so much, but having to put so many into hell because they just will not give themselves to Him. This may seem like an insensitive analogy, but a true one. Remember that faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. Things arent always as they seem. I can remember in my past, being just terrible to someone, purposefully, and on a consistant basis, and Iv'e never had any kind of diagnoses. But as I did it to them, I knew I was doing it just to hurt them, because of my own bitterness, and when the deeds were done, and the person would walk away devastated, I would look all pompous and indiferent, but then I would go some where and be by myself, and cry terribly. I don't know if your dad does that, but sometimes there are wonderful people such as you, that are constant reminders of what terrible people we can be, and we strike out in hatred at them, even when it tears us up to do so. I will be praying. Rev Duane.:prayer:

Upvote 0

Jenafer

Mar 11, 2004
AUSTRALIA
✟7,917.00
Faith
Anglican
artjack said:
I wish you peace & in time it will come you need not worry to much, it is sad to tink we all will depart sometime but it is nice to know people care. I would say it is a good idea not to look to far into the future! who knows what tomorrow brings never mind the future.try to be happy with today
Dear artjack,

thank you for your wise words about living in the present, and not looking too far into the future. My son has a mental illness, and my hubby is very much an invalid with physical ailments.. and now his heart seems not to be travelling well either. After reading your words here, I realize I can only do the best I can on a daily basis..

Yet I do have blessings in my life, somewhere to live, and enough money for essentials. There has been times in my past, when I didn't have these things.

Best to all, Jenafer

Upvote 0

Septima

Nov 16, 2005
Stockholm
✟694.00
Faith
Christian
Just be careful and listen to the advise your husband may have, as he is your spiritual leader.

Hey there! Exorcist! Ofc your only spiritual leader is Jesus and not your husband! Don't be sexistic Exorcist! If she has been grown up with abuse, the last thing she needs is to hear she cannot be her own person and reflect directly to Jesus as a woman and as a individual person and as his child without a man to be her sc head!
You could have chosen so many more sensitive things to say about her situation than throwing this sentance out!
This is a really sensitive forum this "Schizophrenia", so be careful what you say...

...its nice you pray though and care! :)
/Marie

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.