Ran77

Senior Contributor
Mar 18, 2004
Arizona
✟36,652.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I was reading through the text of the Nauvoo Expositioner and came across several items of defamation.

"How shall he, who had drank of the poisonous draft, teach virtue? "

". . . which the reasonableness of past events, and the laws of our country declare to be pernicious and diabolical. "

". . . when the criminal ought to plead guilty to the court, the court is obliged to plead guilty to the criminal."

"We are earnestly seeking to explode the vicious principles of Joseph Smith, and those who practice the same abominations and whoredoms . . ."

". . .to which he often replied, that we would all go to Hell together, and convert it into a heaven, by casting the Devil out . . ."

". . . he can enjoy it he is determined not to desist from his evil ways . . ."

". . . by a perversion of sacred things; for all is not well, while whordoms and all manner of abominations are practiced under the cloak of religion."

"It is a notorious fact, that many females in foreign climes . . ."

This last quote is how the section was started that included the supposed conversation Joseph had with one of the women. "It is a notorious fact . . ." is far from proof. In fact, it is an indication of the opposite. It relies on what the writer offers to be generally accepted without any kind of verification.

And this isn't even close to all of the examples of defamation in the issue. I just got tired of looking for them.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟222,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Post 86 I discuss the slanderous material with Dale. This includes a clear indication that the claims in the paper would be slanderous if that isn't what actually happen. As in, I made it clear what might constitute slander.

Post 170 includes several pieces of evidence to support my views on this topic. A series of points that built on one another to provide bits of information which tend to prove my position on the matter. I tried to stay with facts, which means I actually did provide evidence and not opinion. In order for the claim you made above to be true, all of the following would have to be false and not factual.

1. Wikipedia gave a definition for defamation.
2. Joseph Smith identified the reasons for destroying the press as: libel, slander, falsehood, and perjury.
3. Joseph Smith received a subpoena in 1843 for the charge of slander.
4. A man was imprisoned in 1798 for calling John Adams a man with "a continual grasp of power."
5. St. John's Law Review states that newspapers must prove the content of the statement of rumor.

If I provided these facts and if they are true, then I have provided evidence.
1. Wikipedia also gives a definition of proving libel, which is noted that you conveniently left out in all your so-called evidences. So below from your Wiki defamation definition page (bold mine):
Proving libel[edit]
There are several things a person must prove to establish that libel has taken place. In the United States, a person must prove that the statement was false, caused harm, and was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. For a celebrity or public official, a person must prove the first three steps, and that the statement was made with the intent to do harm or with reckless disregard for the truth,[16] which is usually specifically referred to as "actual malice".[17]

So, other than your opinion, still waiting for this evidence that libel/slander was proven.

2. Joseph Smith got his feelings hurt from people who disagreed with him. Does not prove libel, slander, falsehood, and/or perjury.
3. Irrelevant
4. Irrelevant
5. Not applicable. St John's Review did not exist in the 1840's.

So, no evidence presented that libel/slander occurred and no points for you.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
1. Wikipedia also gives a definition of proving libel, which is noted that you conveniently left out in all your so-called evidences. So below from your Wiki defamation definition page (bold mine):
Proving libel[edit]
There are several things a person must prove to establish that libel has taken place. In the United States, a person must prove that the statement was false, caused harm, and was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. For a celebrity or public official, a person must prove the first three steps, and that the statement was made with the intent to do harm or with reckless disregard for the truth,[16] which is usually specifically referred to as "actual malice".[17]

So, other than your opinion, still waiting for this evidence that libel/slander was proven.

2. Joseph Smith got his feelings hurt from people who disagreed with him. Does not prove libel, slander, falsehood, and/or perjury.
3. Irrelevant
4. Irrelevant
5. Not applicable. St John's Review did not exist in the 1840's.

So, no evidence presented that libel/slander occurred and no points for you.
Who declared the press to be a public nuisance? Hint it wasn't Joseph Smith.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Please, don't keep us in suspense... Who was it?
It was the Nauvoo city council:

"Events leading to the June 27, 1844, martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith included the destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor, as described in History of the Church, with Joseph writing: "Monday, June 10, 1844. — I was in the City Council from 10 a.m., to 1:20 p.m., and from 2:20 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. investigating the merits of the Nauvoo Expositor, and also the conduct of the Laws, Higbees, Fosters, and others, who have formed a conspiracy for the purpose of destroying my life, and scattering the Saints or driving them from the state.

"An ordinance was passed concerning libels. The Council passed an ordinance declaring the Nauvoo Expositor a nuisance, and also issued an order to me to abate the said nuisance. I immediately ordered the Marshal to destroy it without delay, and at the same time issued an order to Jonathan Dunham, acting Major-General of the Nauvoo Legion, to assist the Marshal with the Legion, if called upon so to do.

"About 8 p.m., the Marshal returned and reported that he had removed the press, type, printed paper, and fixtures into the street, and destroyed them. This was done because of the libelous and slanderous character of the paper, its avowed intention being to destroy the municipality and drive the Saints from the city."

From: Nauvoo Expositor was a conspirators' tool to destroy Joseph Smith

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟222,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"Events leading to the June 27, 1844, martyrdom of Joseph and Hyrum Smith included the destruction of the Nauvoo Expositor, as described in History of the Church, with Joseph writing: "Monday, June 10, 1844. — I was in the City Council from 10 a.m., to 1:20 p.m., and from 2:20 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. investigating the merits of the Nauvoo Expositor, and also the conduct of the Laws, Higbees, Fosters, and others, who have formed a conspiracy for the purpose of destroying my life, and scattering the Saints or driving them from the state.

"An ordinance was passed concerning libels. The Council passed an ordinance declaring the Nauvoo Expositor a nuisance, and also issued an order to me to abate the said nuisance. I immediately ordered the Marshal to destroy it without delay, and at the same time issued an order to Jonathan Dunham, acting Major-General of the Nauvoo Legion, to assist the Marshal with the Legion, if called upon so to do.

"About 8 p.m., the Marshal returned and reported that he had removed the press, type, printed paper, and fixtures into the street, and destroyed them. This was done because of the libelous and slanderous character of the paper, its avowed intention being to destroy the municipality and drive the Saints from the city."

Did they have the authority to do so? Other than Joseph Smith's hurt feelings, where are the court proceedings that find the Laws, et al, guilty of libel? Under what law is the destruction of private property a remedy for libel or nuisance? Remember, the founding fathers set up 3 branches of government for a reason.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Did they have the authority to do so? Other than Joseph Smith's hurt feelings, where are the court proceedings that find the Laws, et al, guilty of libel? Under what law is the destruction of private property a remedy for libel or nuisance? Remember, the founding fathers set up 3 branches of government for a reason.
Joseph Smith was killed so his case never went to trial therefore there are NO court proceedings. However, the city council declared the press a public nuisance but they were not put on trial. It was all about killing Joseph Smith. God's prophets have always been unpopular:

(New Testament | Matthew 23:29 - 37)

29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
34 ¶ Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟222,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Joseph Smith was killed so his case never went to trial therefore there are NO court proceedings. However, the city council declared the press a public nuisance but they were not put on trial. It was all about killing Joseph Smith. God's prophets have always been unpopular:

(New Testament | Matthew 23:29 - 37)

29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous,
30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.
31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets.
32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers.
33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
34 ¶ Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:
35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.
36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
So Joseph Smith, the city council, and the Marshall acted illegally.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others

And did they not consist of those who were faithful to JS!! Certainly non LDS would not have considered the paper a nuisance!! They would not have cared if it was a tool to destroy Joseph Smith!! This council consisted of nothing but loyal LDS, JS yes men!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
And did they not consist of those who were faithful to JS!! Certainly non LDS would not have considered the paper a nuisance!! They would not have cared if it was a tool to destroy Joseph Smith!! This council consisted of nothing but loyal LDS, JS yes men!!
Who was on the city council? Do you know their names?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Still making accusations about people and things you know nothing about.

LOL!! As if you were there!! And again and again---even by your own admissions, everyone was against the LDS, the whole country in fact. So, just who would be wanting to destroy an LDS printing press putting out stuff against JS? Everyone in the country would have encouraged it! There is not one person, that is non-LDS---who would have objected to this. It doesn't take a PHD to figure this one out! An eyewitness account, still living, is not even remotely needed. The only ones---THE ONLY ONES--- who cared about this press being destroyed was JS and his buddies. If you have prove that anyone else cared about this---then you are the ones that need to bring evidence that anyone else was even remotely interested in destroying this press. ONLY JS and his buddies wanted it destroyed!

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟222,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That has NOT been determined. Who on the city council was arrested?
It is determined by their actions. Slander/libel/defamation has to be determined by a court of law. That is the law! The city council is not a court of law. Joseph Smith and the Marshall acted unlawfully, so why would you expect the members of the city council to be arrested? You are getting desperate in your defense of your prophet. In your pride, you cannot even admit he was wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
LOL!! As if you were there!! And again and again---even by your own admissions, everyone was against the LDS, the whole country in fact. So, just who would be wanting to destroy an LDS printing press putting out stuff against JS? Everyone in the country would have encouraged it! There is not one person, that is non-LDS---who would have objected to this. It doesn't take a PHD to figure this one out! An eyewitness account, still living, is not even remotely needed. The only ones---THE ONLY ONES--- who cared about this press being destroyed was JS and his buddies. If you have prove that anyone else cared about this---then you are the ones that need to bring evidence that anyone else was even remotely interested in destroying this press. ONLY JS and his buddies wanted it destroyed!
It may interest you to know that Sylvester Emmons was a member of the Nauvoo city council. He was not a member of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints. He was also the editor of the Nauvoo Expositor which was NOT an LDS publication.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
It is determined by their actions. Slander/libel/defamation has to be determined by a court of law. That is the law! The city council is not a court of law. Joseph Smith and the Marshall acted unlawfully, so why would you expect the members of the city council to be arrested? You are getting desperate in your defense of your prophet. In your pride, you cannot even admit he was wrong.
If what the Marshall did was not lawful why was Joseph Smith the only one arrested?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
It may interest you to know that Sylvester Emmons was a member of the Nauvoo city council. He was not a member of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints. He was also the editor of the Nauvoo Expositor which was NOT an LDS publication.

Great, that's 0ne. Was his vote the only vote? How many members were there? And where is the record to indicate he was for the destruction of the press?

Upvote 0