John 3:16 (Can John please clear up Kosmou(s) for us?)

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟1,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
John 3:16 For God so Loved the World, that He gave His Only Begotten Son, that Whosoever believes in Him, shall not Perish, but have eternal Life.

Do we have any assistance with the Greek word "Kosmon(s)" in this passage? If only the author of the book of John, John the Beloved and Revelator could answer the biggest theological question about this very passage that Martin Luther called (The Bible in Mini).

We indeed do have forensic verification from John. He ensured that there would be no Misunderstanding.

1 John 2:2 He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not only for ours, but also for those of the whole world.

Let's break this passage up into portions... without having to even dive into the Greek.

I. He Himself
II. IS the Propitiation
III. For our sins
IV. And not only For our Sins
V. but also for those of the world.

I. Identifies the Jesus of John 3:16
II. Specifies the Covering of Sin, Atonement, Propitiation
III. The Atonement (Blood) of Jesus is towards the Saved (Some call the saved the Elect)
IV. Now the Qualifying Statement about the Atonement of Jesus is (NOT ONLY) for (The Saved or as some say The Elect)
V. Qualifying statement (But Also) for those of the world. (The Damned, All Others, or as some would say The Reprobate)

I Origin of Qualifiers, II Result attached to the Qualifiers, III , Qualified to one group, IV Qualified in affirmation to, then apart from or outside of the same group cited in III and IV. V Qualified to identify all that are outside of Group III, becoming Group V

Blood for Group III and not only Group III, but Also Group V

Last edited:

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟516,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day, Grip

Yes Jesus did propitiate for every sin in the world, but not for every sinner.

If there where only 10 sins in the world... and one person had committed all ten of them then Jesus would have died for every sin in the world ( all ten of them).

Thayer Definition:
1) an appeasing, propitiating
2) the means of appeasing, a propitiation

God's just wrath is not appeased for every one Jesus does not mediate ( advocate) for every single person.

My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

He died for many, he laid down his live for His sheep, he died for those who would believe he advocates for them... only.

There are some 12 ways the word Kosmos could be understood. I seem to think the use here is a little wider in it's description than you do.

I think it means every thing that was created, including the earth and everything in it.

He loves it all just not in the same way. The children he chooses to adopt are His and he has a special love for His own.

The Love of God can be a hard thing to grasp...

Da Carson did a fine work on the subject here: The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God | Monergism

In Him,

Bill

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟1,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good day, Grip

Yes Jesus did propitiate for every sin in the world, but not for every sinner.
Show one verse within the context of 10 versus that agrees with this, please.
If there where only 10 sins in the world... and one person had committed all ten of them then Jesus would have died for every sin in the world ( all ten of them).

Thayer Definition:
1) an appeasing, propitiating
2) the means of appeasing, a propitiation
I find the Hebrew meaning of COVERING and ATONING... which is spoken by Christ on the Cross. (Father it is Finished) PAID IN FULL.... more reliable than missing what ..... so.. the jig is up... I just defined propitiation. Also... Jesus said this to us.. Matthew 18:
21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how many times could my brother sin against me and I forgive him? As many as seven times?”
22 “I tell you, not as many as seven,” Jesus said to him, “but 70 times seven.

If you do the math, you missed Jesus' point
God's just wrath is not appeased for every one Jesus does not mediate ( advocate) for every single person.
The Gospel does specify (Repentance Required)
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.
Consider the exact verse that comes before this. 1 John 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Note that the exact verbiage of the text implies the persistence of Sin throughout our lives? Yet, how can we have sin... If Paul says this?
Romans 5:13 In fact, sin was in the world before the law, but sin is not charged to a person’s account when there is no law.

Wait, What!?! Ephesians 2:15 15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
He died for many, he laid down his live for His sheep, he died for those who would believe he advocates for them... only.
Read Colossians 1:15-20.... if you study it and ensure that it is respected in exact meaning... you will see what Propitiation is and means.
There are some 12 ways the word Kosmos could be understood. I seem to think the use here is a little wider in it's description than you do.
There is only 1 way that it got Translated in all bibles. That Canon was settled by the blood of heretics. Take that idea to someone about to create a bible Translation, with over 100 lingual scholars available... then ask them why they don't implement the Doctrine of Election or Limited Atonement into it. You may not like the answer.
I think it means every thing that was created, including the earth and everything in it. He loves it all just not in the same way. The children he chooses to adopt are His and he has a special love for His own.
Ezekiel 33:11 suggests otherwise, imo. He's passionate about All of Creation.
11 Say to them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?’
The Love of God can be a hard thing to grasp...
Not really. He Loves more than any of us, and contrary to misunderstood scriptures toward Edom (A nation, not a person), He does not Hate. EVER.
Da Carson did a fine work on the subject here: The Difficult Doctrine of the Love of God | Monergism
Monergism says that God installed a (Can't come to Jesus Switch within Creations meant for Damnation and created for Damnation only)

Only using Scripture, In context and being prepared to see it Exegeted by me in response... 10 Verse minimum. Prove it with Scripture only.
In Him,

Bill
All Love to you, Sibling, in the name of Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0