Is solar power feasible?

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟576,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Been studying what it would take to convert totally to solar power. This is for the possibility of a complete breakdown of the power gird for a long period of time
Consider from Forbes:

Mathematical Formula to Determine How Many Solar Panels You Need

The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) indicates the average household consumes about 11,000 kWh of electricity per year.

Here’s the actual formula used by EnergySage to determine how many solar panels you’ll need:
  • Number of panels = system size / production ratio / panel wattage
  • Using the numbers we’ve determined so far, we get:
  • Number of panels = 11,000 kW / 1.6 / 300 W
That equates to about 20 to 25 solar panels to do the job. You can use this same formula to determine how many solar panels you’ll need to power your home. Or, you can use the easier route, which is to look at your energy bill to determine what you’ll need.

It is possible to go completely off-grid using energy from solar panels; however, this is a significant time and financial investment. You will likely need more solar panels if you’re planning to run your home strictly on solar panels.

(How Many Solar Panels Are Needed To Power A House? – Forbes Advisor)

The several places I have checked estimate a cost of $12,000 to $30,000 for the system and the installation. I live in the south of the US, so the cost would be on the lower end of that estimate. I have a high oak tree sitting on the south side of our house, so that would have to go. That would add several thousand to the cost.
Still looking.
Sounds expensive, but in a long-term grid-down situation, it would be invaluable. This is true for many prepper situations. How valuable are food preps (that are expensive now) going to be 6 months into a semi-famine situation? Priceless.
Thoughts?

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟384,420.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another factor is that the brand spec for the panels power is based on 1000w/M2 and 25 degrees C panel temp which almost never happens.

We expect more like 70% of the panel rating in real world conditions and this varies depending on the chemistry of the panel.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟312,208.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have a high oak tree sitting on the south side of our house, so that would have to go. That would add several thousand to the cost.
Still looking.
Harness the hot air coming from corporates and their governments going door to door to push this new profitable industry and power could be produced from the updraft.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟312,208.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
60-70 years ago my father had a small wind charger on the roof that fed a battery used for lighting and the gasoline motor powered portable welder fed the house for heavier temporary usage such as electric heat or topping up the deep freezer and fridge..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟312,208.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Some aren't off the grid friendly.
Exactly. A self sustaining mentality is seen as traitorous to the system. The same reasoning behind genetically modifying seeds to produce for only one year so they must be continually purchased. Corporatism reigns. Control the food and grid, you control the world.

Upvote 0