Texans Concerned Over Potential Chemical Leakage from Solar Farm Damaged in Hailstorm

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟74,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

A hail storm that devastated a Texas solar farm has sparked concern within the surrounding community and among energy experts, who are questioning if “green” energy is really that safe.
The March 15 storm shattered “hundreds of panels” at the Fighting Jays Solar farm in Fort Bend County, Fox News reported.
Aviator Ryan Ashcraft captured aerial footage showing the baffling extent of the damages.

Resident Nick Kaminski expressed worry about the broken solar panels potentially leaking harmful chemicals, such as cadmium telluride, a semiconducting material commonly used in panels that can cause “major health problems in inhalation and ingestion,” according to an iCliniq medical report.
“My concern is, with the hail damage that came through and busted these panels up, we now have some highly toxic chemicals that could be potentially leaking into our water tables,” Kaminski, of Needville, told KRIV-TV. “I have a family — two children and a wife. My neighbors have kids, and a lot of other residents in the area who are on well water are concerned that the chemicals are now leaking into our water tables,” he added.
Needville Mayor Chas Nesvadba told Fox News that the Fort Bend County Environmental Health Department is investigating the incident and that the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has been contacted regarding the potential health risks.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,129,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They should do regular potability tests, just as they should when there are gas leaks, oil leaks, or fracking catastrophes.
The solar panels are solid, and any chips would be solid.
There would be more danger from oil or gas, or nuclear leaks.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟260,264.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

A hail storm that devastated a Texas solar farm has sparked concern within the surrounding community and among energy experts, who are questioning if “green” energy is really that safe.
The March 15 storm shattered “hundreds of panels” at the Fighting Jays Solar farm in Fort Bend County, Fox News reported.
Aviator Ryan Ashcraft captured aerial footage showing the baffling extent of the damages.

Resident Nick Kaminski expressed worry about the broken solar panels potentially leaking harmful chemicals, such as cadmium telluride, a semiconducting material commonly used in panels that can cause “major health problems in inhalation and ingestion,” according to an iCliniq medical report.
“My concern is, with the hail damage that came through and busted these panels up, we now have some highly toxic chemicals that could be potentially leaking into our water tables,” Kaminski, of Needville, told KRIV-TV. “I have a family — two children and a wife. My neighbors have kids, and a lot of other residents in the area who are on well water are concerned that the chemicals are now leaking into our water tables,” he added.
Needville Mayor Chas Nesvadba told Fox News that the Fort Bend County Environmental Health Department is investigating the incident and that the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality has been contacted regarding the potential health risks.
From here: The Truth about Dangerous Chemicals in Solar Panels - Iowa Solar

'Contrary to previous assumptions, pollutants such as lead or carcinogenic cadmium can be almost completely washed out of the fragments of solar modules over several months, for example, by rainwater, making it possible for different bodies of water to be contaminated.”

But...

'These chemicals don’t appear in modern aluminum-frame solar panels.'

Plus note the bolded section.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟333,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is odd to me, given that I previously lived in the area, that this is considered such a major issue with the large number of chemical plants in the area and the number of leaks they've had through the years. As an example, there was a chemical leak last September in Ft. Bend county that injured over 100 but there seemed to be little concern about the ground water after that leak. If you look it up, Texas has a terrible history with leaks and explosions at their chemical plants and oil refineries -- there were 3 different chemical leaks in one month in 2021 in the Houston area (Ft. Bend county is part of the Houston Metro area), yet there is rarely much political outcry -- enough to fix things -- when those occur.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟126,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From here: The Truth about Dangerous Chemicals in Solar Panels - Iowa Solar

'Contrary to previous assumptions, pollutants such as lead or carcinogenic cadmium can be almost completely washed out of the fragments of solar modules over several months, for example, by rainwater, making it possible for different bodies of water to be contaminated.”

But...

Plus note the bolded section.
Hey, thank you for backing up and supporting photovoltaics, bro. :) Science is my favorite subject, but I am not familiar with the intricacies of solar panels, except that the panels use P and N type silicon, solar panels have been used on space probes as far as Jupiter (NASA's Juno Spacecraft Breaks Solar Power Distance Record), and that the modern solar panels have longer warranties and higher efficiency compared to the old ones. If only I could put solar on my place, but my home is a condo. I use 300 kWh of electricity per month, so just a few hundred watt panels would be enough for me, but sadly I have to use fossil fuels (natural gas is the most common energy source for my city). By the way, for the convenience of others, a summary of the Iowa Solar article is posted below.

The summary is generated using a locally run private artificial intelligence dubbed Mistral 7B which makes my laptop's CPU run very warm, and it takes 10 minutes to summarize articles (or two minutes for shorter prompts). Of course, other people with faster computers such as expensive gaming rigs with powerful video cards (GPU) can have this Mistral AI take a matter of seconds to answer prompts:

The article discusses the history of solar energy discovery and its current state as a popular clean energy source. Solar power was first discovered in 1839 by French physicist Edmond Becquerel, and since then, other scientists and mathematicians have continued his work. Solar-powered engines were registered for patents as early as 1860, and today, solar energy is more popular than ever due to its environmental benefits and potential to alleviate climate change.

However, despite the advantages of solar power, it has not yet replaced traditional energy sources on a large scale. China, the United States, and Japan are currently the top three countries utilizing solar power, accounting for over 50% of the world's total capacity. These countries also have high electricity consumption rates.

The production of solar panels is limited due to the high demand for them, with manufacturing companies producing panels as fast as they can be installed. Additionally, energy companies that own coal, oil, and natural gas power plants have lobbied against solar power, claiming it contains dangerous chemicals and causes pollution.

Solar panels are primarily made of silicon semiconductors in the form of photovoltaic cells, which absorb sunlight and create an electric current. However, some solar panels use toxic chemicals during production and disposal. These include cadmium, lead, and hexfluoroethane. The recycling of solar panels is becoming more common to mitigate the environmental impact.

Recycling efforts for solar panels are increasing, with companies developing new methods to extract valuable materials such as silver, silicon, and aluminum from used panels. ROSI Solar, a French startup, is planning to build a new recycling plant in Grenoble, France, to extract these materials and sell them back into the market.

Despite some concerns regarding the toxic chemicals used in solar panel production and disposal, solar power remains a cleaner alternative to coal and oil energy sources. The solar industry is also working on improving recycling methods and repurposing solar panels for reuse.

Other alternative energy sources, such as wind turbines, hydroelectric plants, geothermal energy, biofuel, and biomass, also have their own advantages and disadvantages. Wind power requires large amounts of land, while biofuels can compete with food production.

Overall, solar power is now the most ecologically friendly option for generating energy, second only to wind power. By switching to solar energy, individuals can contribute to making the world a healthier place to live.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟490,346.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The news item here appears to be that someone is concerned. Why should people care about someone being concerned?
If other people on my sports team / political team are concerned, it means I'm right in believing the baseless fears people are selling me to get me to vote against my best interests.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟150,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
It is odd to me, given that I previously lived in the area, that this is considered such a major issue with the large number of chemical plants in the area and the number of leaks they've had through the years. As an example, there was a chemical leak last September in Ft. Bend county that injured over 100 but there seemed to be little concern about the ground water after that leak. If you look it up, Texas has a terrible history with leaks and explosions at their chemical plants and oil refineries -- there were 3 different chemical leaks in one month in 2021 in the Houston area (Ft. Bend county is part of the Houston Metro area), yet there is rarely much political outcry -- enough to fix things -- when those occur.
This might be a case of “the devil you know”?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Other alternative energy sources, such as wind turbines, hydroelectric plants, geothermal energy, biofuel, and biomass, also have their own advantages and disadvantages. Wind power requires large amounts of land, while biofuels can compete with food production.

Overall, solar power is now the most ecologically friendly option for generating energy, second only to wind power. By switching to solar energy, individuals can contribute to making the world a healthier place to live.

France has a number of solar farms in the middle of the country where populations are smaller. I have mixed feelings on the subject. As a future landowner protecting the soil is foremost. We're raising crops and animals.

Illinois is doing something similar downstate and a gentleman visited last year and recorded it on his YouTube channel. He spoke with multigenerational farmers who lived near the turbines and panels and they acknowledged the problems.

I'll take their word over the government's on the issue. We have similar concerns and I've never seen them on high end properties. When you're dealing with land and natural water sources you have to be mindful of long-term effects. Soil takes time to recover. If memory serves the figure quoted was 10-20 years on the video.

I'd never do that to my land and there are other ways to save money on income producing properties. Much like carbon footprint suggestions it's best to follow the money. You'll rarely see them implementing the ideas they're pushing on the masses. For the most part that's my benchmark.

~bella

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Your lips move but I can't hear what you're saying
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟260,264.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
France has a number of solar farms in the middle of the country where populations are smaller. I have mixed feelings on the subject. As a future landowner protecting the soil is foremost. We're raising crops and animals.

Illinois is doing something similar downstate and a gentleman visited last year and recorded it on his YouTube channel. He spoke with multigenerational farmers who lived near the turbines and panels and they acknowledged the problems.

I'll take their word over the government's on the issue. We have similar concerns and I've never seen them on high end properties. When you're dealing with land and natural water sources you have to be mindful of long-term effects. Soil takes time to recover. If memory serves the figure quoted was 10-20 years on the video.

I'd never do that to my land and there are other ways to save money on income producing properties. Much like carbon footprint suggestions it's best to follow the money. You'll rarely see them implementing the ideas they're pushing on the masses. For the most part that's my benchmark.

~bella
Kinda light on any facts about any problems, or even possible problems there.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟437,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ok, but just to be safe we should scrap solar and instead accelerate the high pressure injection of fracking fluids into the ground.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,205,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ok, but just to be safe we should scrap solar and instead accelerate the high pressure injection of fracking fluids into the ground.
Don’t be silly, we need to get rid of the clean air regulations, restrictions on coal ash dumping and go back to sacred coal.

Upvote 0