Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This game has a Mature rating right? That means kids shouldn't be playing it. Of course that won't happen anytime soon thanks to lax enforcement and bad parenting which is really the problem. Videogames are just another scapegoat so parents don't need to take responsibility for their actions (or lack thereof).

Now, for adults, I'd sure hope that by your age, you can separate reality from fiction... and if not, well, I'd say you have much more important things to be worrying about than Diablo 2.

Upvote 0

Cozmo

Actively seek a living relationship with Him
Dec 22, 2003
Texas
✟23,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
SAint Mark said:
Hey cosmo.

Well, I played the game a lot when I first got it but I'd say I was really into it for about a month tops. I do still play it on occaison with some friends of mine while we are having a LAN. But wouldn't say it's sucking up too much time.

I'm into item collecting too but I''m really not bothered to collect all of them (would take waaaaaaaay too long :D). So, what set was the best anyways? ^_^

Well... at the time, and in my opinion, I thought that the best sets were Tals (sorc), Trangs (necro) and Nats (assassin), but even then, there were much better builds using unique items but mainly for zon, palli and barb. I don't know how they fare nowadays with the new patch and all, but I will tell you that during my time, I used to run a bot to collect items while I was away, asleep or at work so it wasn't too hard to collect items.

I'm happy that you have control over the game and don't let it take over your mind and time. Don't give it an inch because it will try to take a mile.

God bless :angel:

Upvote 0

Skellybones

The Malevolence
Dec 23, 2003
Crippletown
✟340.00
Faith
Other Religion
Dracil said:
This game has a Mature rating right? That means kids shouldn't be playing it. Of course that won't happen anytime soon thanks to lax enforcement and bad parenting which is really the problem. Videogames are just another scapegoat so parents don't need to take responsibility for their actions (or lack thereof).

Now, for adults, I'd sure hope that by your age, you can separate reality from fiction... and if not, well, I'd say you have much more important things to be worrying about than Diablo 2.
:clap:
What I've been saying for years!

Upvote 0

cybercrusader

Oct 24, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
✟15,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Like Cosmo, that has been my qualm with the game. It's just so addicting that even after the 1.10 patch came out, I was bound and determined that I could make money easily with a realm wipe and have fun again. But it wasn't so. I found myself just clicking a button while relationships with others, including God, dwindled. I sold the account, and the next day after trying to sell the games on half. com for over a year they sold. Coindidence? Possibly, all this to say, that I never thought the game itself as evil, it's just about as bad as any other thing you make into an idol that draws you from God. Gasp, even Redemption, a Christian based collectible card game can become problematic. Just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Durelen said:
Oh and in regards to being called a zealot or extremist here… I don’t deny that I am a zealot. In fact I attended seminary, go on short term missionary trips, have repaired the roof on an orphanage for free, personally sent shipments of bibles to Russia just after the declaration of glasnosts, have personally taken food and supplies to orphanages in other countries, have been full time church employee, taken groups out street witnessing and many other things in the name of Jesus. In some countries I could be put to death for these things and some day I may. Yes, I am a zealot. Just wanted to make that fact sure.
Matthew 6:1-6
Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Upvote 0

Haethurn

Jul 2, 2003
West Virginia
✟353.00
Faith
Christian
Nathan Poe said:
Who in their right mind would yoke any video game with the Bible?
I know. I get tired of people making these outrageous interpretations of the Bible. Like it has anything to say about video games.

God probably won't send you to Hell for playing Diablo II.

It doesn't matter if Jesus wouldn't play the game himself. I don't think that everything needs to be endorsed by him.

What if Jesus prefers Pepsi above all other drinks? Then am I to stop drinking tea, so that I may be more like Jesus?

In all depictions of him, Jesus is seen as wearing flowing white robes.

I suppose we're all going to go to Hell if we wear anything else.

Upvote 0

Life_in_faith

Jan 3, 2004
Maine
✟15,160.00
Faith
Christian
This is a tough topic, i myself have spent many hours playing Diablo II. I dont play it anymore , although it has nothing to do with whether i feel it was appropriate for me to play as a christian. I still play all sorts of games and in no way feel that it subtracts from my faith or my worship of God. It is true that games can be addictive and take time away from our true purpose for being here. No one but God can tell you if you should stop pllaying. I would encourage you to pray about it and perhaps speak to an elder at your church. God knows your heart and he will not lead you astray, so go ask him what to do :)

Upvote 0

holycrusader

Aug 18, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
✟124.00
Faith
Protestant
ok heres my spiel. first of all i play diablo 2. As well as warcraft, lord of the rings, and other games dealing with magic, demons, or satan. I am a rock-solid christian and i am not affected by these games. For one, you are FIGHTING evil. Its not all unlike real life. If we all were afraid of anything looking like it was satanic, would we have the stregenth to fight those having to do with him? He's our enemy isn't he? Secondly, I tend to look at the positive things in the game. Like i said, you're fighting evil, and also on multiplayer online i have been a MAJOR witness, one example is by participating in christian clans and activities in the game. But overall, it depends on the person. Sorry if I sound stuck-up here, but thats the end of the deal. Any arguments against this are stupid and are simply giving into what satan wants to happen. It's EXTREMELY sad to see people bickering and fighting over such a stupid issue. Sure, some little kids shouldnt play the game, but think about it folks, is it worth fighting over? Sometimes i feel that us christians are quite stupid and ignorant at times.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

InnerPhyre

Nov 13, 2003
✟71,967.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If the game is taking you over, then don't play it, but for MOST sane people it's harmless. Playing a video game with magic in it does NOT.....DOES NOT mean you are taking part in REAL MAGIC which is evil. Real magic and sorcery have NOTHING to do with casting fire spells and the like. I personally found Counter-Strike more dangerous than Diablo II because in Counter Strike I would always get angry at people who did stupid things and yell at them and say rude things ^_^ That brought out the worst in me. Diablo II is fantasy. To whoever that was who said everyone else's father IS Diablo, sorry bro, you've gone off the deep end. Look within yourself. Take an honest look. If this game is interfering with your Christian life, then stop playing it. If not, game on.

Upvote 0

Haethurn

Jul 2, 2003
West Virginia
✟353.00
Faith
Christian
InnerPhyre said:
If the game is taking you over, then don't play it, but for MOST sane people it's harmless. Playing a video game with magic in it does NOT.....DOES NOT mean you are taking part in REAL MAGIC which is evil. Real magic and sorcery have NOTHING to do with casting fire spells and the like. I personally found Counter-Strike more dangerous than Diablo II because in Counter Strike I would always get angry at people who did stupid things and yell at them and say rude things ^_^ That brought out the worst in me. Diablo II is fantasy. To whoever that was who said everyone else's father IS Diablo, sorry bro, you've gone off the deep end. Look within yourself. Take an honest look. If this game is interfering with your Christian life, then stop playing it. If not, game on.
I didn't know there was such a thing as real magic.

Upvote 0

blackbelt2

Jan 4, 2004
✟170.00
Faith
Christian
armed2010 said:
haha, I laugh at your ignorance :D
Some people like my parents :rolleyes: can sometimes tell if something is bad or not just by looking at it.Its called discernment.Its annoying sometimes and they're not always right but better safe than sorry.
BTW I play a necro but I don't get obsessed or sucked in at all.Can't say the same for my bros though :D and andariel is a pretty bad point but I just ignore it and move on.

over and out

Upvote 0
This is simple for true Christians, wether it's a game, or a TV show or movie or book;

What's in your Spirit? Some may call it your conscience, others call it your gut.

A true Christian in a real relationship with Jesus Christ will KNOW in their heart if something is right or wrong. It really is that simple.

And as for the argument, "It's just a game, move, TV show or book!"

That's exactly what the satan wants you to think.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Eph. 6:12

idle

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
idleprocess said:
This is simple for true Christians, wether it's a game, or a TV show or movie or book;

What's in your Spirit? Some may call it your conscience, others call it your gut.

A true Christian in a real relationship with Jesus Christ will KNOW in their heart if something is right or wrong. It really is that simple.

And as for the argument, "It's just a game, move, TV show or book!"

That's exactly what the satan wants you to think.

idle

But many of us true Christians don't feel it in our Spirit, our conscience, nor our gut that the game is wrong.

So actually, maybe Satan wants us to think that it's not just a game, movie, tv show, or book. I mean, what better way to cause strife among people so that our energy is diverted from the truly important issues.

Upvote 0
Dracil said:
I mean, what better way to cause strife among people so that our energy is diverted from the truly important issues.

I'm inclined to think this a pretty important issue. The Bible clearly speaks that witchcraft, idolatry, hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, just to name a few from Galatians 5:20 will keep you from the Kingdom of God. Will you be held from Heaven and condemned to hell because you play Diablo2?

No.

But the Word says;

Do not put out the Spirit's fire; do not treat prophecies with contempt. Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil.
1st Thessalonians 5:19-22

What then would be the truly important issues?

idle

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
idleprocess said:
I'm inclined to think this a pretty important issue. The Bible clearly speaks that witchcraft, idolatry, hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, just to name a few from Galatians 5:20 will keep you from the Kingdom of God. Will you be held from Heaven and condemned to hell because you play Diablo2?

No.

But the Word says;

What then would be the truly important issues?

idle
Last I checked, people don't go around casting auras and throwing fireballs at physical demons roaming the lands. Or have I been missing something? In any case, I think that speak volumes about just how similar "witchcraft" in games, books, movies, etc. is to real life. Basically don't confuse reality with fantasy.

The Bible also speaks clearly about not having sex with a woman when she's having her period. But I don't see that being mentioned very often. Also, in the verse you mentioned (Galatians 5:20), it also mentions drunkenness. That's another thing that people don't like to talk about often. I guess it's because too many people get drunk, so it's easier to not talk about our own sins and instead, talk about other people's sins.

I think it's important that you mentioned discord. What has all this anti-harry potter, anti-games, anti-etc. caused? Discord. Which was my point that our arguing about all this could actually be Satan's doing in disguise.

Truly important issues - Well, for example, how 'bout going out there and doing something about social injustice? Maybe have a nice meal with a homeless person on the street, getting to know them better, understand their plight, maybe share the Gospel if the situation's right. You know, loving thy neighbor. :)

Upvote 0
Dracil said:
Last I checked, people don't go around casting auras and throwing fireballs at physical demons roaming the lands. Or have I been missing something? In any case, I think that speak volumes about just how similar "witchcraft" in games, books, movies, etc. is to real life. Basically don't confuse reality with fantasy.

The Bible also speaks clearly about not having sex with a woman when she's having her period. But I don't see that being mentioned very often.

I think it's important that you mentioned discord. What has all this anti-harry potter, anti-games, anti-etc. caused? Discord. Which was my point that our arguing about all this could actually be Satan's doing in disguise.

Truly important issues - Well, for example, how 'bout going out there and doing something about social injustice? Maybe have a nice meal with a homeless person on the street, getting to know them better, understand their plight. You know, loving thy neighbor. :)

:rolleyes: hmmm, Social injustice? Homeless plight?

Loving thy neighbor is good, but still a distant second...

Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law? Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

Matthew 22:36-40

I guess I'm a zealot too, because I don't see how I can Love God with all my Heart, Soul and Mind while filling it with Diablo2.

idle

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you actually saying you're against the social justice? That you don't care about the homeless, the poor?

I guess perhaps for you it may be impossible to play Diablo 2 while loving God. But some of us are capable of loving God while playing Diablo 2. It doesn't mean that either of us loves God any less.

A good chapter you might wanna read is Romans 14. If you don't wanna play, don't play. We're not forcing you to play if you feel that it will hurt your faith.

Upvote 0