Is anyone justified by the works of the law?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟89,433.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, according to Romans 3:

20 For by works of the law no human being will be justified [G1344] in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
Vertically speaking, in God's sight, we are justified by grace and faith.

28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified [G1344] by faith without the deeds of the law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30 since God is one—who will justify [G1344] the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith.
This justification by faith is true for Christians and non-Christians.

Similarly in Galatians 2:

16 yet we know that a person is not justified [G1344] by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified [G1344] by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law, no one will be justified [G1344].
Similarly in Titus 3:

7 so that being justified [G1344] by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Vertically speaking and strictly speaking, we are justified by grace and faith and not by works. Some decades ago, I heard the story of Jesus and the cross and I believed. At that point, I was justified, by faith, being born of the Spirit. I was not born again because of my works. After that, my behavior changed. I wanted to do good for Jesus. Label this Type 1 Justification.

Recently, a friend of mine invited 15 university students to his home to celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving feast tomorrow (2022.10.5). They are not Christians. I volunteered to stir-fry a bunch of red/orange peppers for them :)

On the other hand, we have Romans 2:

13 For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified [G1344].
It is the same Greek word.

Now, are we justified by the works of the law?

Let's see the context, Romans 2:

12 For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified.
In Romans 2:13, Paul was using the word "justified" in the sense of judging on the last day. It is the final judgment or final justification. Label this Type 2 Justification. The doers of the law are considered righteous while alive and will be judged righteous at the resurrection.

In Romans 3, he used the word "justified" in the sense of being born of the Paraclete in the present day. We don't need to wait until resurrection to be justified. We can be justified now.

14 For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature, do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law.
This is justification for the Gentiles who do not know Moses' Law or Jesus' teachings. They do not have faith in Jesus, they can't be justified by faith while they live. However, at the resurrection, some can be judged as righteous. That is Type 2 Justification.

15 They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them 16 on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.
In Romans 3, Christians are justified vertically by faith evidenced horizontally by works. People cannot observe one's faith directly. People can only see the fruits of his faith which are his works.

Yes, in some sense. Paul used the word "justified" in two different senses. In Romans 2, a person is justified or declared righteous in the Type 2 sense. However, no works of the law would earn you the Paraclete. In Romans 3, a person is justified to be born again in the Type 1 sense of grace and faith.

See also

Reactions: Grip Docility

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No, according to Romans 3:

Vertically speaking, in God's sight, we are justified by grace and faith.

This justification by faith is true for Christians and non-Christians.

Similarly in Galatians 2:

Similarly in Titus 3:

Vertically speaking and strictly speaking, we are justified by grace and faith and not by works. Some decades ago, I heard the story of Jesus and the cross and I believed. At that point, I was justified, by faith, being born of the Spirit. I was not born again because of my works. After that, my behavior changed. I wanted to do good for Jesus. Label this Type 1 Justification.

Recently, a friend of mine invited 15 university students to his home to celebrate the Canadian Thanksgiving feast tomorrow (2022.10.5). They are not Christians. I volunteered to stir-fry a bunch of red/orange peppers for them :)

On the other hand, we have Romans 2:

It is the same Greek word.

Now, are we justified by the works of the law?

Let's see the context, Romans 2:

In Romans 2:13, Paul was using the word "justified" in the sense of judging on the last day. It is the final judgment or final justification. Label this Type 2 Justification. The doers of the law are considered righteous while alive and will be judged righteous at the resurrection.

In Romans 3, he used the word "justified" in the sense of being born of the Paraclete in the present day. We don't need to wait until resurrection to be justified. We can be justified now.

This is justification for the Gentiles who do not know Moses' Law or Jesus' teachings. They do not have faith in Jesus, they can't be justified by faith while they live. However, at the resurrection, some can be judged as righteous. That is Type 2 Justification.

In Romans 3, Christians are justified vertically by faith evidenced horizontally by works. People cannot observe one's faith directly. People can only see the fruits of his faith which are his works.

Yes, in some sense. Paul used the word "justified" in two different senses. In Romans 2, a person is justified or declared righteous in the Type 2 sense. However, no works of the law would earn you the Paraclete. In Romans 3, a person is justified to be born again in the Type 1 sense of grace and faith.

See also

I see you searching scriptures for hope for the hopeless. I once read about a “man” that did that and ticked a whole bunch of folks off in the process. They crucified that “man” for doing that! :)

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0