✟93,254.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matt 5:

29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away.
Like the right hand, the right eye was supposed to be more useful and important.

For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell. 30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell.
Similarly, Exodus 29:

20 and you shall kill the ram and take part of its blood and put it on the tip of the right ear of Aaron and on the tips of the right ears of his sons, and on the thumbs of their right hands and on the great toes of their right feet, and throw the rest of the blood against the sides of the altar.
1 Samuel 11:

2 But Nahash the Ammonite said to them, “On this condition I will make a treaty with you, that I gouge out all your right eyes, and thus bring disgrace on all Israel.”
Zechariah 11:

17 “Woe to my worthless shepherd, who deserts the flock! May the sword strike his arm and his right eye! Let his arm be wholly withered, his right eye utterly blinded!”
Hebrew culture supposed the right eye was more important than the left one.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matt 5:

Like the right hand, the right eye was supposed to be more useful and important.

Similarly, Exodus 29:

1 Samuel 11:

Zechariah 11:

What if you are left handed (I am not)?

Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟1,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Matt 5:

Similarly, Exodus 29:

1 Samuel 11:

Zechariah 11:

Okay... I tore it out... but I sinned because of the left one even with the right one torn out.. What now?

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay... I tore it out... but I sinned because of the left one even with the right one torn out.. What now?
I agree. The OT is a metaphor, and is confusing to wade through.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟1,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree. The OT is a metaphor, and is confusing to wade through.
I actually have a fairly solid understanding of the actual meaning of this... but it doesn't bind to the Hebrew poetry of the matter. It's the simple reality of how deeply Jesus amplified the 613 Mitsvah, IMO :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I actually have a fairly solid understanding of the actual meaning of this... but it doesn't bind to the Hebrew poetry of the matter. It's a simply reality of how deeply Jesus amplified the 613 Mitsvah, IMO :)
I am not Jewish, so I have no idea what you just said.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟1,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So, much of Western Christianity makes the Bible about "The West"... and in doing so, misses the utter Jewishness of the entire 66 book bible. It's common to not know what Jewish stuff, Jesus was implying, but... basically... Western Christianity refers to the BIG 10, while in truth the "Book of the Law" / Torah / Moses .... is comprised of 613 Mitzvah... aka Laws. The 10 were a symbol of the covenant and the very fact that they were carved in stone, leads to deeper theological insinuations... which the Epistles... "New Testament Books" expound on quite specifically.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Matt 5:

Similarly, Exodus 29:

1 Samuel 11:

Zechariah 11:

In the Bible, the metaphor of "tearing out one's right eye" appears in Matthew 5:29-30 within the context of Jesus' Sermon on the Mount. However, it is essential to note that this metaphor has its roots in older Jewish texts, including Exodus 29, 1 Samuel 11, and Zechariah 11.

In Matthew 5:29-30, Jesus is teaching about the importance of righteousness and completes a series of metaphors about ethical living. He says, "If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your parts than your whole body be thrown into hell. And if your right hand causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your parts than your whole body go into hell." (NIV)

This metaphor should not be taken literally but rather figuratively, implying that one must make significant sacrifices to preserve their spiritual well-being. In other words, if something leads us into sin, we must remove it from our lives to avoid further damage. For instance, if a computer website leads us to sin (I stay far away from that stuff), then we must put blockers on it. Same for alcohol, then we must avoid going to bars. I have a second hand leather jacket that has a nice smell and texture, and had an attraction for it in 2019 cos of my raging 19-year-old hormones, so I told my parents to take it away for a few years. I got it back in 2022, and am less attracted to it now. Now I can wear it normally in my 20s.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, much of Western Christianity makes the Bible about "The West"... and in doing so, misses the utter Jewishness of the entire 66 book bible. It's common to not know what Jewish stuff, Jesus was implying, but... basically... Western Christianity refers to the BIG 10, while in truth the "Book of the Law" / Torah / Moses .... is comprised of 613 Mitzvah... aka Laws. The 10 were a symbol of the covenant and the very fact that they were carved in stone, leads to deeper theological insinuations... which the Epistles... "New Testament Books" expound on quite specifically.
Interesting. I knew that the Bible had 600+ laws and stuff, but didn't know the term for those laws. So, you prefer Orthodox Christianity or Messianic Judaism, if I may ask?

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟1,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Interesting. I knew that the Bible had 600+ laws and stuff, but didn't know the term for those laws. So, you prefer Orthodox Christianity or Messianic Judaism, if I may ask?
Neither... I simply say that I am Jewish by Blood, and a Forgiven Gentile Sinner by Faith. I count myself yoked to all that claim Christ/Messiah as their Salvation and God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Neither... I simply say that I am Jewish by Blood, and a Forgiven Gentile Sinner by Faith. I count myself yoked to all that claim Christ/Messiah as their Salvation and God.
Cool.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟77,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
He said it was a rhetorical statement. Not meant to be taken serious, only useful as a comparison and not something that Jesus is actually telling you to do. I took four teacher training classes so we studied Jesus and the way He would teach. Mostly to get people to remember.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟136,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He said it was a rhetorical statement. Not meant to be taken serious, only useful as a comparison and not something that Jesus is actually telling you to do. I took four teacher training classes so we studied Jesus and the way He would teach. Mostly to get people to remember.
Interesting. I am not that good at reading people, but I knew that Jesus would never tell us to cut out our eyes.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟730,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Matt 5:

Similarly, Exodus 29:

1 Samuel 11:

Zechariah 11:

I think it was more about left versus right .... rather than the eye itself

Matthew 25:31-46
New International Version​

The Sheep and the Goats​

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums