If governor signs bill, parents can't opt their children out of being forced to watch sex education video

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see anything of the kind in that link. In fact, all I see is the usual feel-good edubabble. Why do you think it's sinister? That is an honest question, not a rhetorical ploy. An honest response would be appreciated, rather than a sneering counter-question.
I gave you the answer: It does not need to be "handled."

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I gave you the answer: It does not need to be "handled."
But clearly you think that "culturally relevant education" is undesirable. I just don't understand why. The only reason that has appeared in this discussion is that it is somehow "stealth" CRT. CRT is apparently undesirable because it teaches that white people are inherently and permanently racist, but you have offered no evidence that CRT, to the extent that it is employed in public school classrooms at all, does any such thing.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,537.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Yes, hence my question, how much is it actually happening? I don't know.

There never was a time when it wasn't necessary.
I don't think so. When I was growing up I didn't see from any parents a deep concern over what was being taught in schools. Parents weren't going to the schools to do a deep dive into the curriculum lesson plans etc. Sorry you are incorrect. Schools weren't teaching this kind of stuff that parents are worried about. I know, I was there.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,537.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Sure, and it's like that in many places even now. But if you think that it's OK to be ignorant of your kids' school curriculum as long as their social values aren't being challenged, then maybe they deserve to be challenged. So how much "CRT" is actually being taught? In how many school districts across the country is it part of the curriculum to explicitly teach that white people are inherently and permanently racist?
Exactly. That's what's happening now. And it's a shame it's come to this. You absolutely have to these days. That was my point.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,537.00
Faith
Pentecostal
But clearly you think that "culturally relevant education" is undesirable. I just don't understand why. The only reason that has appeared in this discussion is that it is somehow "stealth" CRT. CRT is apparently undesirable because it teaches that white people are inherently and permanently racist, but you have offered no evidence that CRT, to the extent that it is employed in public school classrooms at all, does any such thing.
What exactly is 'culturally relevant education"? Why is whatever that is desirable? Are you under the impression that CRT is undesirable only because one it's tenants is white people are inherently racist? Are you under the impression that a teacher would walk into a classroom of a bunch of kids and start saying "all you white kids, you are racists and will always be racists. And now we are going to teach you Critical Race Theory"? No they do stuff like this.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟197,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Governor poised to sign law making kids watch animated fetal videos

In Tennessee, whether parents like it or not, Republican Gov. Bill Lee is poised to sign a law that will make public school children watch an animated video on fetal development backed by an anti-abortion group, or some equivalent of it, after lawmakers in the state vaulted the legislation to passage.

Among other features in the video, it depicts sperm fertilizing an ovum and it is here that it declares: “This is the moment that life begins. A new human being has come into existence.” The animated video states that a fetus can recognize lullabies in the womb and depicts a purported fetus at 27 weeks gazing through a translucent womb while pressing its fingers against it. The shadow of the mother’s fingers press back.

The 3-minute video is riddled with disinformation, according to the [American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists]

According to The Tennessean, Republican lawmakers in the state’s senate rejected Democratic-led amendments that would have made watching the clip optional for students instead of mandatory. Another amendment that would have stopped schools from showing it without explicit consent from a parent or guardian was also voted down by Republicans.

Parents' Rights!
Sounds like, if I lived in Tennessee, I’d have to correct all the inaccurate stuff at home.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟916,985.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
So are you saying something should be done about this as public policy, or is it enough just to give them our thoughts and prayers?
I'm saying we certainly should look at the issue and determine if intervention is merited in certain areas.
I keep going to laws because if you expect government action, that requires laws. Congress passes a bill that something should happen and the president makes it happen. The government does nothing without laws being passed. But if our thoughts are prayers are sufficient, or if you're talking about action only by private entities, okay.
I have worked in government for over 28 years at both the national and local level. I have made hundreds of decisions and changes that affect policies and procedures. I have required, to date, zero laws to implement those changes. Laws may be required for something like a nationwide strategy affecting all departments but it most assuredly is not a requirement to effect change.
But the idea that they happen in accordance with skin color is a myth.
The idea it happens because of skin color is a myth. That I will agree with.
You can gain enough insight just from the Critical Theory entry in Wikipedia.
I'll check it out but I have to say since I am not approaching it with the same lens you are I am doubtful I will see it the same way.

Reactions: BCP1928
Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟197,281.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
AFAIK laws supercede codes, so this misinformation video would be allowed to be showed. But the misinformation would be less effectiver you don't gag the teachers who care about their students.
Or if you’re a parent who raises their kids to be the ones to correct it in school, lol. I just read this article and my 13 year old said “At the end of the video, when they asked for questions, I’d say that there was a lot of propaganda in that video and not a lot of science and if the teacher was mad I’d take the L but not care because that’s not science.”

Reactions: BCP1928
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is 'culturally relevant education"?
A teacher training course designed to prepare teachers for culturally diverse classrooms
Why is whatever that is desirable?
It's not obviously a bad idea. It's also not obviously "stealth" CRT
Are you under the impression that CRT is undesirable only because one it's tenants is white people are inherently racist?
That's the impression I get from this discussion. The reason I started asking questions is, that not one of the "tenants" of CRT
Are you under the impression that a teacher would walk into a classroom of a bunch of kids and start saying "all you white kids, you are racists and will always be racists. And now we are going to teach you Critical Race Theory"? No they do stuff like this.

Yeah, that sounds pretty silly, but it is not CRT

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Deglurged? Fix a few timelines and then include the attachment to the wall and it's good to go?
Why not? If it's factually correct. Kids are used to seeing smarmy sex education videos and this one won't do them any harm.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think people outside a culture can teach that culture. It's certainly relevant for people to learn their own cultures, but public school isn't the place for it because public schools won't do it correctly. We black people were doing better before the government co-opted Black History Month.

We are where we are, mostly in a land where the dominant culture is best described as "Anglo-American"...a lot of "Anglo" with a uniquely American pastiche formed from numerous other cultures, as well as home-grown. Success in this dominant Anglo-American culture is what public schools should be teaching. That gives people coming in from outside the culture the best opportunity to learn how to function within it.

Public schools don't teach Judaic culture, young Jews go to their own sources of training for that...and are Jews economically or culturally disadvantaged for that?

There's nothing wrong with code-switching. Chinese kids do it, Mexican kids do it, Indian kids do it. Every normally intelligent human being should be able to function in more than one social environment.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I don't think people outside a culture can teach that culture. It's certainly relevant for people to learn their own cultures, but public school isn't the place for it because public schools won't do it correctly. We black people were doing better before the government co-opted Black History Month.
And no one intends it. Culturally Responsive Education is a prep for teachers.
We are where we are, mostly in a land where the dominant culture is best described as "Anglo-American"...a lot of "Anglo" with a uniquely American pastiche formed from numerous other cultures, as well as home-grown. Success in this dominant Anglo-American culture is what public schools should be teaching. That gives people coming in from outside the culture the best opportunity to learn how to function within it.
Agreed, but why don't you think that teachers should be prepared to help students with this process?
Public schools don't teach Judaic culture, young Jews go to their own sources of training for that...and are Jews economically or culturally disadvantaged for that?

There's nothing wrong with code-switching. Chinese kids do it, Mexican kids do it, Indian kids do it. Every normally intelligent human being should be able to function in more than one social environment.
The "dark side" of this is that the Anglo Protestant Culture is still frequently taught as superior to all other cultures.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And no one intends it. Culturally Responsive Education is a prep for teachers.
Keeping kids unable to function in the dominant culture is not the path to success for them.
Agreed, but why don't you think that teachers should be prepared to help students with this process?
No. Chinese kids aren't getting that treatment...Indian kids aren't getting that treatment. When I was in elementary school, my black teachers certainly weren't going in that direction. The best thing public school teachers can do is get kids as expert in the dominant culture as possible. There is no success for them any other way.
The "dark side" of this is that the Anglo Protestant Culture is still frequently taught as superior to all other cultures.
"Superior" is a multi-faceted statement with a lot of implicit emotion, but the Anglo-American culture has been wildly successful and is going to continue to be the dominant culture in the US. Unlike CRT proponents, I don't believe white people are going away.

A year or so ago I started a thread about the fact that black Americans have been working with a crippled version of the Anglo-American culture, courtesy of slavery and Jim Crow. That broken culture is killing us off...except for those of us who become adept in the Anglo-American culture. Have you ever seen the movie "Hidden Figures?" That was a cultural direction that had been working for us, and still works for millions...the ones all around you that you don't notice. "Acting white" works for Chinese, it works for Indians, and it works for black people. It's a shame we don't have our "motherland" cultures as the Chinese and Indians do...but that's not something we or the government can do anything about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Keeping kids unable to function in the dominant culture is not the path to success for them.
Doesn't relate to what we are talking about. No one wants that.
No. Chinese kids aren't getting that treatment...Indian kids aren't getting that treatment. When I was in elementary school, my black teachers certainly weren't going in that direction. The best thing public school teachers can do is get kids as expert in the dominant culture as possible. There is no success for them any other way.
Yes they are, or should be. All good teachers have always taken the kids cultural background into account when teaching them.
"Superior" is a multi-faceted statement with a lot of implicit emotion, but the Anglo-American culture has been wildly successful and is going to continue to be the dominant culture in the US. Unlike CRT proponents, I don't believe white people are going away.

A year or so ago I started a thread about the fact that black Americans have been working with a crippled version of the Anglo-American culture, courtesy of slavery and Jim Crow. That broken culture is killing us off...except for those of us who become adept in the Anglo-American culture. Have you ever seen the movie "Hidden Figures?" That was a cultural direction that had been working for us, and still works for millions...the ones all around you that you don't notice. "Acting white" works for Chinese, it works for Indians, and it works for black people. It's a shame we don't have our "motherland" cultures as the Chinese and Indians do...but that's not something we or the government can do anything about.
Sowell has it that the problem is that you are already "acting white" according to the standards of PWTs

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,537.00
Faith
Pentecostal
teacher training course designed to prepare teachers for culturally diverse classrooms
What's a culturally diverse classroom and how is it different from just a classroom where you teach everyone math and reading?
It's not obviously a bad idea. It's also not obviously "stealth" CRT
Until you can explain what a culturally diverse classroom looks like and how it affects how you teach math, English etc, we can't say whether it's a good or bad idea. And until we know what they are teaching we have no clue whether there is any CRT principles being taught.
That's the impression I get from this discussion. The reason I started asking questions is, that not one of the "tenants" of CRT
Yes it's one, but it's not the only one. Did you think it I was?
Yeah, that sounds pretty silly, but it is not CRT
Yes it is. Is it college level theory no. But they generally don't teach college level theory is K-12. But they do teach the principles of different theories and what I posted is absolutely is an example in Seattle where it's principles are being incorporated into the school system. If you really want to see more then you could review some of the CRT threads from the past. There are quite a few links in those including Ana posting links to California curriculum that includes the CRT principles.
Based on whistleblower documents and parents familiar with the session, a third-grade teacher at R.I. Meyerholz Elementary School began the lesson on “social identities” during a math class. The teacher asked all students to create an “identity map,” listing their race, class, gender, religion, family structure, and other characteristics. The teacher explained that the students live in a “dominant culture” of “white, middle class, cisgender, educated, able-bodied, Christian, English speaker.

Following this discussion, the teacher had the students deconstruct their own intersectional identities and “circle the identities that hold power and privilege” on their identity maps, ranking their traits according to the hierarchy. In a related assignment, the students were asked to write short essays describing which aspects of their identities “hold power and privilege” and which do not. The students were expected to produce “at least one full page of writing.” As an example, the presentation included a short paragraph about transgenderism and nonbinary sexuality.

That's CRT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟340,537.00
Faith
Pentecostal
they are, or should be. All good teachers have always taken the kids cultural background into account when teaching them.
And exactly how do they do that? Say you have a classroom with 30 kids. 17 of them white, 6 are black 5 are Hispanic and 2 are Asian. How does the teacher take all those backgrounds into account when teaching the kids how to write or do math? Shes got an hour to do it. Oh and by the way all of them except for 2 Hispanic kids were born in the US.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,483,616.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't relate to what we are talking about. No one wants that.
They must want it. When academia declares that the subject itself is racist against their students, how are we going to believe that they're then going to teach it as accurately and completely as they can?
Yes they are, or should be. All good teachers have always taken the kids cultural background into account when teaching them.
My black teachers didn't...and we were 'way ahead of most of today's black children in the same grade levels.
Sowell has it that the problem is that you are already "acting white" according to the standards of PWTs
Sowell and I came to similar conclusions from slightly different directions, however we both agree that "acting white" in this case is acting like whites of the "cracker" social class. And I'd point out something Sowell doesn't in that there had been up to three different ways black people "acted white" depending on the social classes of the whites they were mimicking.

There was a now-defunct black culture of freedmen in the Northeast that lasted until the late 1800s/early 1900s. There has also been a black slave culture derived from aristocratic slave owners (to the extent that the US had an aristocracy) from Maryland to South Carolina. Then there was the black slave culture derived from the low-class ("cracker") slave owners of the deep South, from Georgia and around the Gulf Coast states. Most blacks today in the urban centers are from that third class, migrating out of the rural south during the Great Northern Migration of the early 20th century.

However, when "acting white" means acting like "cracker" whites, it's certainly not going to help their situation. Even low-class whites have to learn how to act like a higher class in order to get much ahead.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟175,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What's a culturally diverse classroom and how is it different from just a classroom where you teach everyone math and reading?

Until you can explain what a culturally diverse classroom looks like and how it affects how you teach math, English etc, we can't say whether it's a good or bad idea. And until we know what they are teaching we have no clue whether there is any CRT principles being taught.

Yes it's one, but it's not the only one. Did you think it I was?

Yes it is. Is it college level theory no. But they generally don't teach college level theory is K-12. But they do teach the principles of different theories and what I posted is absolutely is an example in Seattle where it's principles are being incorporated into the school system. If you really want to see more then you could review some of the CRT threads from the past. There are quite a few links in those including Ana posting links to California curriculum that includes the CRT principles.
Based on whistleblower documents and parents familiar with the session, a third-grade teacher at R.I. Meyerholz Elementary School began the lesson on “social identities” during a math class. The teacher asked all students to create an “identity map,” listing their race, class, gender, religion, family structure, and other characteristics. The teacher explained that the students live in a “dominant culture” of “white, middle class, cisgender, educated, able-bodied, Christian, English speaker.

Following this discussion, the teacher had the students deconstruct their own intersectional identities and “circle the identities that hold power and privilege” on their identity maps, ranking their traits according to the hierarchy. In a related assignment, the students were asked to write short essays describing which aspects of their identities “hold power and privilege” and which do not. The students were expected to produce “at least one full page of writing.” As an example, the presentation included a short paragraph about transgenderism and nonbinary sexuality.

That's CRT.
No, it's not. It's mind-boggling stupid, and teachers like that should be cashiered on the spot, along with their curriculum advisers, but it's not CRT, even if they try to misuse CRT to justify such egregious behavior.

Upvote 0