Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I find it helpful to think of it in terms like this:

- Progressives implement new solutions
- Conservatives prefer the tried and true

Conservatives can be influenced by evidence over time. Today's conservative ideas were often yesterday's progressive ideas. While they may be slow to adopt new good ones, they're also slow to adopt new bad ones. Where they've accepted bad ones as tried and true, unfortunately it can take them longer to accept the good ones. Not because they're horrible people, but because they're more cautious and oriented toward tradition. Although this can sometimes thwart meaningful progress, it can also help provide stability

My advice would be to present your case and be patient. Also, as the saying goes, you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Being pleasant as well as patient about it will also help your cause.

It might also be helpful to further separate partisanship from truly progressive and conservative ideas. A previous poster mentioned tribalism. Political parties have their own ways of being progressive or conservative that don't necessarily make sense in terms of left or right. They each have their own script. Some of the people you're angry with may simply be saying what the script tells them to without giving it much thought. While that can be frustrating, it also allows for the possibility that their hearts may be in the right place and to not take it personally.

• Winner
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0