Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...tired of debate, tired of defending and critiquing.

Maybe it is time to practice a poverty of opinion.

There is always a good chance that I am misinformed, mistaken and in the wrong about most everything.

Mea culpa

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sometimes indifference and apathy about certain topics can be a good thing.

3b27898ddc9100db846150492e6bb9cb.jpg

Quotation-Epictetus-There-is-only-one-way-to-happiness-and-that-is-9-2-0287.jpg

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

There is always a good chance that I am misinformed, mistaken and in the wrong about most everything.

Mea culpa
That's why I've been limiting my time on CF and unfollowing a lot of threads. I enjoy a nice discussion but I'm also tired of arguing. If only we could do this over a beer or a glass of wine... c'est la vie.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟997,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

Mea culpa

As a general observation I find that Christians have a tendency towards being pedantic. It may have something to do with the concepts of absolute truth buried in Christian belief.

Whether the argument is about theology or science the use of modifiers like "possibly", "maybe", "perhaps" etc. seems to be interpreted as a concession or agreement. I've had Christians regularly complaining that science changes its mind without seeing that this is a strength rather than a weakness.

The other possibility I see is that always being right is an American thing and the combination of American infallibilty and Christian pedantry produces arguments which go nowhere.

OB

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟569,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Mea culpa
It is not good to debate with people who do not want to learn or change their mind. Especially those who are here for the sole reason to dissuade you from the faith.

2 Timothy 2:23-24 KJV
23. But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
24. And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟404,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican

Mea culpa
*insert counter argument here

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,707.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
A good chance indeed. Same here. I wish more people on this forum would accept that position.

But you're not going to know you're wrong unless you put your arguments forward for whatever position you hold and allow them to be tested. Better to discover you are wrong than to always think you are right.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟153,063.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But you're not going to know you're wrong unless you put your arguments forward for whatever position you hold and allow them to be tested. Better to discover you are wrong than to always think you are right.
Thats true. I began as a YEC, futurist and Arminian (then Calvinist and then away from it, at least in some aspects). All of that changed during years and I see many of my positions as just making the most sense (considering other options), but far from certainty.

I would say that the changes would not happen, at least not at such pace, if not for discussions or watching formal discussions of others (for example various Universities events on youtube).

Edit:
Well, thinking about it, I changed many more positions in time... leaving charismatic/pentecostal movement, literal reading of Genesis, view about inspiration, majority vs minority text etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: BPPLEE
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟153,063.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many of the written arguments here on CF may seem to be "between people who are 100% sure", but I take it only as a way how people test them. Saying "maybe, I do not know, probably" all the time is not effective, so sometimes we position ourselves more towards some specific side to test its strength and to experiment.

I guess that the vast majority of us are less argumentative and more open to alternatives in our real personal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟997,190.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Many of the written arguments here on CF may seem to be "between people who are 100% sure", but I take it only as a way how people test them. Saying "maybe, I do not know, probably" all the time is not effective, so sometimes we position ourselves more towards some specific side to test its strength and to experiment.

I guess that the vast majority of us are less argumentative and more open to alternatives in our real personal life.

What happens often on CF is that people set out to win an argument as opposed to discover a truth or a solution. As I said earlier, I think a lot of this is cultural with 'winning' given excessive importance.

This extends to making statements without providing supporting info or links. I've seen instances where supporting info, provided by the poster, says the opposite of what the poster claims it says. I've also come across many instances where I strongly suspect the poster is lying. Posters will also deny or ignore facts put in front of them.

The local CF motto appears to be "Win at all costs". I've been surprised at the overall shortage of Christian ethics in a Christian Forum.
OB

• Agree
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The other possibility I see is that always being right is an American thing and the combination of American infallibilty and Christian pedantry produces arguments which go nowhere.
OB
I think a lot of christians get taught that the penalty for being wrong is hell or hell on earth - so, the stakes of being wrong are pretty high for them. You can kind of understand why you might go to insane lengths in an argument.

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've greatly reduced the amount of time I've spent posting on CF because I'm tired of the arguing, too. I suspect there are many of us feeling this way.
Yes - I have drastically reduced my time on here too. It wasn't due to ordinary posters though.

A little scenario was set up where I was the nazi and the other was the courageous hero.

Someone else took over the conversation and i found them just confrontational.

I still browse a little but as for posting - i figure whats the point??

The treatment was pretty poor to be honest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Shall I bible cut/paste you about this sentence??? :D

GNB - Proverbs 17:12 It is better to meet a mother bear robbed of her cubs than to meet some fool busy with a stupid project.
You have to find it in the GNB.
The NIV version is way less funny.
NIV - Better to meet a bear robbed of her cubs than a fool bent on folly.
NIV Not as funny but sentiment same - it's not awesome to come across someone who is on some sort of mission to argue everything endlessly ;)

Here's another that stuck with me ... 2 Timothy 2:23
Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.
don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights.
Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels.

Consider yourself cut/pasted ;)

I find I like hearing peoples opinions and I'm always looking for someone really wise and trying to hear what they think about stuff.

I always have this in my head. Always always. It's so easy to be certain of something and then find out you made the simplest error

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟153,063.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What happens often on CF is that people set out to win an argument as opposed to discover a truth or a solution. As I said earlier, I think a lot of this is cultural with 'winning' given excessive importance.

This extends to making statements without providing supporting info or links. I've seen instances where supporting info, provided by the poster, says the opposite of what the poster claims it says. I've also come across many instances where I strongly suspect the poster is lying. Posters will also deny or ignore facts put in front of them.

The local CF motto appears to be "Win at all costs". I've been surprised at the overall shortage of Christian ethics in a Christian Forum.
OB
I do not think it works in a way like "your specific argument makes me change my mind now". But it may be something one can register and put together with other things much later.

Also, somebody may think "I must win at all costs", but if he continuously feels that his own arguments are weak, it can also be something slowly changing his attitude.

So, I think even "head against head" discussions may be useful, even if they do not look so at the moment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think the other thing is that 90% of the discussions are simply the same dead horse that has been beat to a pulp. In theology, it comes down to Faith vs. Works, Prayer to saints is necromancy, the role of Mary, Tradition vs Sola Scriptura etc. We could pretty much eliminate most threads because inevitably these just turn into the same arguments.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟153,063.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think the other thing is that 90% of the discussions are simply the same dead horse that has been beat to a pulp. In theology, it comes down to Faith vs. Works, Prayer to saints is necromancy, the role of Mary, Tradition vs Sola Scriptura etc. We could pretty much eliminate most threads because inevitably these just turn into the same arguments.
I doubt somebody thinks that these forums are for establishing some new Christian doctrine.

I think it serves for individual Christians to exercise their intellectual capacity, to test their knowledge and arguments, to spend their free time debating a topic that interests them. Nothing world changing.

If somebody takes it too personally, he may get exhausted very quickly. We do not argue here to change "those wrong people" to believe like we do. If it were the case, the result would be truly quite disappointing and pointless.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟285,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the other thing is that 90% of the discussions are simply the same dead horse that has been beat to a pulp
Reminds me of the Elvis documentary I was watching last night. He was so sick of his movies with the same theme:
Boy meets girl
Boy meets girl's old boyfriend
Boy fights
Boy sings.

• Haha
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0