Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I find it most relevant, that the word-pair "free will" does not exist in Holy Scripture. And I also find it most relevant, that we do have it written that God has sent spirits into people, to get them to behave in certain ways, both good and evil.
Actually it does. Here's one of 17 occurrences:
Leviticus 22:23 KJV — Either a bullock or a lamb that hath any thing superfluous or lacking in his parts, that mayest thou offer for a freewill offering; but for a vow it shall not be accepted.

• Wow
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟750,130.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I am starting to get tired and fatigued of the concept of free will and it is one of the obstacles I get in the way of having a good relationship with God. I might want to act now as if the law of free will doesn't exist. I am frustrated and existentially dreaded that we had to be created with the freedom of choice to obey or disobey God and yet we are liable for either one of two eternal destinations of judgement upon our end, and that God didn't create our world as the only place but just a temporary "testing grounds".

The natural free choice we do have also seem to operate on a binary pattern, good vs. evil, etc. What is funny is that even though God is far beyond human comprehension, man was able to create more than just two choices and shades of things. This is what makes our life exciting. In the end, we don't have any real freedom from anything, whether it is Heaven or Hell, you can't be free from God or Satan. I don't think God has a concept similar to "freedom from" like man was able to design independently. This makes sense, but at the same time it is a frustrating reality to me. We didn't even have the choice whether or not to exist and be born into this world wanting to rebel against God to begin with. So it just has to be whether we like it or not.
God gave Adam and Eve free will. They could do as they pleased, with one exception. They blew it. God has not changed. He still wants His people to choose freely.

Satan and God are after the same thing: the active cooperation of man's will. Even if you choose to ignore free will, it is your choice. You need to accept reality. We must choose. Even not choosing is a choice. If we choose God's will and God's ways, we will be satisified, productive and at peace. If we do not, we end up with Satan's way by default. That is a recipe for defeat, failure and misery. "Choose this day who you will serve!"

Your last sentence is exactly right. If you really knew the love and goodness of God, you would not be troubled. Free will is the greatest gift and also the greatest responsibility. We have Lord Jesus living within us to work it all out. He has no trouble obeying God as He already faced the most severe test and won. Ask Him to establish the desires of your heart according to God's will. Our will follows our desires. That is the principle behind every sales pitch. Also ask Him to help you with thoughts that argue against your desires. The enemy does not want you obeying God!

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually it does. Here's one of 17 occurrences:
Leviticus 22:23 KJV — Either a bullock or a lamb that hath any thing superfluous or lacking in his parts, that mayest thou offer for a freewill offering; but for a vow it shall not be accepted.
Hey Derf.

JR did it again, only he actually banned me this time.

Upvote 0