How much will I see him? (fiance in Navy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KGirl

Oct 5, 2003
TN
Visit site
✟16,306.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
I dunno if anyone can help me.. My fiance is going into the Navy as a neuclear power engineer person whatnot. Has anyone done that to know what kind of schedule I should be expecting? We should be getting married around next winter after he has training after bootcamp, before college. I think God HATES me, lol, because he gae me my worst NIGHTMARE which is to be with someone who's in the military and goes away..

Anyway my question was basically what his schedule should be like after we get married and he's in college? He said that for a while, he'll only see me on the weekends. Will there ever in the future be a schedule where he comes home every night? EVER?

Jesae

Thought4Unknown
Jul 17, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟15,189.00
Faith
Christian
well i dont know much about the navy and there routines. and it would also matter if hes going to be active or reserve. but it sounds like hes going to be an officer if hes being allowed to go to college while in the military. if thats the case, he may be right. but you might want to find out if you can move close to where hes going to school.... that might help.

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,788,869.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Will his job require deployment at sea?

My brother just retired from the Navy, he's married and has 3 kids. He's calculated that in the 20 years he's been in he has been separated from his wife/family for 7.5 years from deployment. 2 of his 3 kids were born while he was on deployment.

Just one person's experience though. Yours might be lots different.

Does your fiance have any idea how much time he will have to spend away?

Upvote 0

Michael0701

Harley Ridin' Believer!!
Nov 13, 2002
Tax Free Delaware!!
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well...... 20 some odd yaers ago, if you signed up for the Navy's Nuclear Power program you were not guaranteed what "kind" of vessel you'd serve aboard (aircraft carrier, cruiser, fast attack sub, boomer). By the way, he picked an excellent field to get into, I wish him a lot of luck, it's a ver tough program. If he gets assigned a nuclear ballistic missle submarine (aka "Boomer") he can be assured an almost steady rotational sea duty. (_ months at sea, _months in port) They run two seperate crews for one sub. Other than that it all depends on the ship and it's mission. And you will be hard pressed to find two that are the same. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

PS. Navy wife....... the hardest job in the armed forces :sigh:

Upvote 0

Michael0701

Harley Ridin' Believer!!
Nov 13, 2002
Tax Free Delaware!!
Visit site
✟8,417.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We operated quite a bit with aircrat carriers (it was called de-lousing back then, lol). If I recall correctly, their med cruises were pretty much the same as ours, 6 months at a shot. So where is nuke school these days, back in the 70's it was in Orlando, FL.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PennylessZ28

Knowledge & Humor = Me
Oct 20, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA
✟669.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I live with two Sailors for room mates, and my father was in the Navy and my fiancees father is the Capt. and Senior Nuclear Engineer or was anyways, on board the USS Enterprise.

I asked her father and he said that if he is attached to a ship, then you can bet 100% he will be on all deployments.

Nukes are key to a ships survival. And a nuke is the term they use in the Navy for an Nuclear Engineer.

I also work with the Navy on a daily basis as a private contractor.

:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John the Engineer

1 Cor 13:4
Dec 31, 2003
Woodland Hills, CA
✟8,030.00
Faith
Protestant
Life for Navy wives is not easy, it takes a special type of woman. You're not going to be seeing much because of a few factors.

1) They're in demand of Nuke Engineers right now, so they're spread thin
2) Nuke Reactors don't go "offline" where the Engineers can all leave once you get to port, meaning they're ALWAYS on duty making sure it's all ok. One accident would look really bad for the Navy
3) Navy's being pushed to the limit right now. I'm hearing more and more back-to-back deployments with little to no stand down times. It's unfortunate but the truth.

If you're not married that means going with him will be expensive and difficult. Once you're married it will be a little bit easier, but don't count on having him home for dinner. You need to get to be a part of support groups and find out if you're really ready for the life. It's not normal, but if your love is strong you can make it. God is the only one that can carry your relationship through the "rough seas"

Upvote 0

Jacey

WinJace
Jan 12, 2004
Atlanta
Visit site
✟5,805.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
Unfortunately there a lot of military spouses, both male and female who decide to cheat. Heck, wife-swapping started in the military among officers. But if you're marriage is strong and you communicate and trust each other, then you should not worry, I've seen those tempted to cheat, go out and party when away from spouses, and they don't.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.