How many Gentiles and Samaritans could have been saved if Jesus would have sent some disciples there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
No, I’m asking why, if Jesus loves everyone and wants everyone saved (as I’ve been told), did He forbid the disciples to go to the Gentiles and Samaritans.
Regardless of who Jesus sent his disciples to, they did not go out to the vast majority of the people on the planet, so there is nothing wrong with Jesus sending his disciples to bring the Gospel to a specific group, especially when that group has the role of bringing the Gospel to the rest of the nations.

Upvote 0

Hammster

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Regardless of who Jesus sent his disciples to, they did not go out to the vast majority of the people on the planet, so there is nothing wrong with Jesus sending his disciples to bring the Gospel to a specific group, especially when that group has the role of bringing the Gospel to the rest of the nations.
Then it’s safe to say that maybe Jesus isn’t really trying to save everyone.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟125,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
How could they have been saved if Jesus said to exclude them?
I believe there were two kinds of proselytes the righteous and the gate.

A "righteous proselyte" was a Gentile who converted to Judaism and was bound to all the doctrines and precepts of the Jewish religion, including circumcised as an adult if male, and immerses (full body) in a mikvah (bath) to formally effect the conversion. and is considered a full member of Judaism.

A "gate” proselyte did not have to be circumcised and did not have to abide by the entire Torah they were bound to seven laws of Noah.

What I am saying is ….during the time of Jesus a Gentile could have been on the same level as any of the Jews … if so inclined.

After Pentecost, what was it, maybe 7-8 years before Acts 10 when the same covenant was made available to the Gentiles ….

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I agree. But what about those Gentiles who died after the disciples went out?
I guess that's one of those conundrums that can be argued back and forth forever. ;)

Gentiles had the opportunity to believe in God before Jesus came as the Messiah. There were various non-Hebrews in the OT who believed in God. Were they saved through faith just as the folks mentioned in Hebrews 11? I like to think so.

In John 6:44 Jesus says "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day." God knows who will be saved. He knew then and he knows now. Maybe those Gentiles who died after the disciples went out (according to the verse you quoted) weren't meant to be saved, or maybe because they possibly hadn't heard of Jesus but believed in God they were saved already through faith.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I believe there were two kinds of proselytes the righteous and the gate.

A "righteous proselyte" was a Gentile who converted to Judaism and was bound to all the doctrines and precepts of the Jewish religion, including circumcised as an adult if male, and immerses (full body) in a mikvah (bath) to formally effect the conversion. and is considered a full member of Judaism.

A "gate” proselyte did not have to be circumcised and did not have to abide by the entire Torah they were bound to seven laws of Noah.

What I am saying is ….during the time of Jesus a Gentile could have been on the same level as any of the Jews … if so inclined.

After Pentecost, what was it, maybe 7-8 years before Acts 10 when the same covenant was made available to the Gentiles ….
I’m not really sure how that addresses my post.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I guess that's one of those conundrums that can be argued back and forth forever. ;)

Gentiles had the opportunity to believe in God before Jesus came as the Messiah. There were various non-Hebrews in the OT who believed in God. Were they saved through faith just as the folks mentioned in Hebrews 11? I like think so.

In John 6:44 Jesus says "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day." God knows who will be saved. He knew then and he knows now. Maybe those Gentiles who died after the disciples went out (according to the verse you quoted) weren't meant to be saved, or maybe because they possibly hadn't heard of Jesus but believed in God they were saved already through faith.
From what I’ve been told, it would be cruel for God to create someone who never had a chance to believe.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟766,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Lord tells us those who have done good will be saved ( John 5:22-30) There are those God has in His plan of salvation but we do not know

. In some way, the great commission is on every Christian; we must at least pray for evangelism ( Matthew 9:36-38). Before His resurrection, the Lord preached to those who died in the olden times ( 1 Peter 3:18-4:6, Ephesians 4:8-9)

The dilemma those who do not know the Lord is uncertainty of salvation not a a guarantee of damnation ( see Ezekiel 18:4-9, Ezekiel 33:11-20).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I have already written/stated what Jesus came to do when He came at the first advent. If you do not believe that ok by me.
I’m just going by what scripture says, not your opinion.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The Lord tells us those who have done good will be saved ( John 5:22-30) There are those God has in His plan of salvation but we do not know

. In some way, the great commission is on every Christian; we must at least pray for evangelism ( Matthew 9:36-38). Before His resurrection, the Lord preached to those who died in the olden times ( 1 Peter 3:18-4:6, Ephesians 4:8-9)

The dilemma those who do not know the Lord is uncertainty of salvation not a a guarantee of damnation ( see Ezekiel 18:4-9, Ezekiel 33:11-20).
That really doesn’t address the OP.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟255,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I’m just going by what scripture says, not your opinion.

The scripture posting game can be played all day.

who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟287,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Then it’s safe to say that maybe Jesus isn’t really trying to save everyone.
No. It does not follow that because Jesus sent his disciples out to a small percentage of the world's population that therefore he was not trying to save everyone.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The scripture posting game can be played all day.

who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.
Interesting. So He wants everyone saved (because He came to seek and save the lost), yet gave orders not to go to the Gentiles.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
No. It does not follow that because Jesus sent his disciples out to a small percentage of the world's population that therefore he was not trying to save everyone.
Odd way of going about it, giving orders to avoid a group of people.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟391,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Romans explains how the Gentiles who never heard the gospel are judged.

Romans 2:12-16 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Romans explains how the Gentiles who never heard the gospel are judged.
That’s not what the OP is about, though.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟687,058.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps it wasn't the correct time. Israel may have had a more pressing need to hear the Gospel. We don't know that the gentiles that didn't hear His word were condemned. Is everyone who died before they heard of Jesus not saved?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
These twelve Jesus sent out after instructing them: “Do not go in the way of the Gentiles, and do not enter any city of the Samaritans; but rather go to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
— Matthew 10:5-6

So here we have Jesus deliberately telling His disciples to not go to the Gentiles nor the Samaritans. How many Gentiles and Samaritans could have been saved if Jesus would have sent some disciples there?

Salvation wasn't the idea at the time. Jesus was sent to "the house of Israel" to bring them back to the law. No one knows what might have happened if they had accepted him. Once Israel rejected him he sent the apostles to the gentiles. That's the meaning of the parable at Luke 14:16-24.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps it wasn't the correct time. Israel may have had a more pressing need to hear the Gospel. We don't know that the gentiles that didn't hear His word were condemned. Is everyone who died before they heard of Jesus not saved?
Why would Jews need the gospel more than Gentiles?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,745,058.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Salvation wasn't the idea at the time. Jesus was sent to "the house of Israel" to bring them back to the law. No one knows what might have happened if they had accepted him. Once Israel rejected him he sent the apostles to the gentiles. That's the meaning of the parable at Luke 14:16-24.
Seek and save the lost.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.