How long to rebuild civilisation after an all out nuclear war?

eclipsenow

Scripture is God's word, Science is God's works
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟145,062.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I need to update this thread. My position has changed since reading some more about it.

Recent studies of smoke in the 2019 Australian 'mega-fires' have shown that black carbon in smoke can be heated by sunlight and lifted even higher up. In a full scale nuclear war, the firestorms might lift all that soot up 15 to 20 km. The sun keeps it there - like a hot air balloon with enough fuel to keep the balloon aloft for years. It might float around up there for a decade!

While hundreds of millions might die in the nuclear war itself, shutting down all agriculture across the Northern Hemisphere might starve up to 5 BILLION.

They estimate only 1% of many northern nations would survive.

Study by Xia et al - 2022. Global food insecurity and famine from reduced crop, marine fishery and livestock production due to climate disruption from nuclear war soot injection - Nature Food

Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟496,046.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I need to update this thread. My position has changed since reading some more about it.

Recent studies of smoke in the 2019 Australian 'mega-fires' have shown that black carbon in smoke can be heated by sunlight and lifted even higher up. In a full scale nuclear war, the firestorms might lift all that soot up 15 to 20 km. The sun keeps it there - like a hot air balloon with enough fuel to keep the balloon aloft for years. It might float around up there for a decade!

While hundreds of millions might die in the nuclear war itself, shutting down all agriculture across the Northern Hemisphere might starve up to 5 BILLION.

They estimate only 1% of many northern nations would survive.

Study by Xia et al - 2022. Global food insecurity and famine from reduced crop, marine fishery and livestock production due to climate disruption from nuclear war soot injection - Nature Food
bfd6d06cf6af95c96be25204948f9b7a.gif

Upvote 0