Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
This thread is not about that. The error is believing that homosexuality is good. God says it is abominable.

Homosexuality is a tendency to be attracted to people of the same gender as oneself. I've studied the Bible diligently, and I've yet to find anywhere where God describes it as abominable.

Which doesn't necessarily mean it's not abominable. But if it is, it's not God who says it is.

David.

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Oh, I'm afraid they do actually Brennin.

But onwards, the word 'Homosexual' was not coined until the 1820s...

Actually, it was 1869.

But yes, your point remains essentially correct - as a translation of "arsenokoites", it's problematic in the extreme, as it appears to convey a concept of which Paul is unlikely to have been aware.

David.

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
Where was the mocking?

I found much of the post to which I was replying to be heavily mocking in its tone - something which I find, sadly, to be true of many of your messages on this forum. Specifically, comparing Andreusz's request (to know why God declares homosexuality to be an abomination) to "the spoiled child asking his mommy, 'Why?' all the time," and your closing remark, "If God's word isn't enough for you, then whose word is?" Also, the fact that instead of answering his question, your first move was to dismiss it out of hand ("We don't need to know why.")

And I mean, yes, all of that's with the caveat that maybe you didn't mean to take a mocking tone. But that's certainly the way it came across, and indeed the way many of your posts come across.

I do admit to not noticing at THAT time that he is an atheist.

In fairness, despite the initial quirks following the server upgrade, we all of us have faith icons displayed next to our names in every message we post on these boards, so it's not difficult to know the faith of the person you're replying to.

However, the gospel was given.

Yes, I'll grant you that. However, given the general unpleasantness of the way in which the message was presented...well, let's just say that if I weren't already a Christian, I doubt anything in your message would have prompted me to think in terms of becoming one, and most likely I'd have found it rather off-putting.

It is so difficult (I am SO wiping the sweat from my brow as we speak! :doh:)...

Yes, and what was I saying about you taking a mocking tone? Seriously, cut it out - you're not doing the team any favours.

...to distinguish the posts of an atheist, (agnostic) from those of homosexuality sympathizers in these threads, and then those of actual homosexuals, that I fear I must think about keeping a file on y'all, David!! :cool:

That would be perhaps run kind of counter to one of the main forum rules - debate issues, not people. Sure, after a while it's going to be pretty obvious who believes what, who's of which sexual orientation, which side each of us is taken - but if you're just going to start using all of that as a stick to beat us with, then it's probably not going to achieve very much.

Is it?

David.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.