how does devout christians justify voting Democrat?

Cimorene

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2016
Toronto
✟246,655.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Repub are usually against abortion, transgendered gay,multiple spouse, child out of wedlock , etc

Like I said, the same question has been asked about Republicans: http://www.christianforums.com/threads/how-can-catholics-vote-for-trump.7937384/

Trump is twice divorced. That's wrong according to the Bible too. He's changed his position on abortion, so who knows. Isn't Arnold Schwarzenegger a Republican? Didn't he have a child out of wedlock? They might say they're against all that to appeal to voters but sometimes their actions don't match up.

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟32,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The United States is not a theocracy, so it is not the responsibility of government to enforce the Bible. In other words, just because something is immoral doesn't mean that it should necessarily be legislated by the government. In regard to social issues, the various political parties take somewhat different stances on which moral values should be legislated. I tend toward the view that government exists to protect life, liberty, and property, so any act of government that is not aimed at one of those goals is improper. Republicans and Democrats hold different views on the role of government. Neither of them seem to hold the view that the government's job is to impose Christian morality on the populace.

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They value their political positions more than their faith.

Sad but true. It seems that government has become their god and that's where their hope truly lies. Our faith should dictate how we vote, not the other way around.

Reactions: Thursday
Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟32,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am trying to figure out where in the Bible it suggests that a secular government should prohibit any particular immoral activity. In fact, Romans 13, which was written under a government that was not only tolerant of grave immorality, but itself was actively persecuting the church, seems to suggest otherwise.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Thursday

Jan 12, 2016
Texas
✟49,429.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I am trying to figure out where in the Bible it suggests that a secular government should prohibit any particular immoral activity. In fact, Romans 13, which was written under a government that was not only tolerant of grave immorality, but itself was actively persecuting the church, seems to suggest otherwise.

Christians were less than 1% of the population.

Christians should not support the killing of innocent life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since dems are ok with several things that are against bible

It might help to think of it like this: Christians answer to God not to the Democrat or Republican Partys. Which ever Party you think best represents the things you want is who you should vote for, that's why I stopped voting Republican in the 80's and switched to Democrat. :wave:
tulc(hopes that helps) :)

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It might help to think of it like this: Christians answer to God not to the Democrat or Republican Partys. Which ever Party you think best represents the things you want is who you should vote for, that's why I stopped voting Republican in the 80's and switched to Democrat. :wave:
tulc(hopes that helps) :)

But God will hold us accountable for how we vote. If someone votes for a candidate who is in favor of homosexuality then I can't see God being too happy about that. Neither party is perfect but there are some things the Democrats support that outright defy what Scripture says. I think the OP is curious how you can reconcile that.

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟32,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christians were less than 1% of the population.

And, that is relevant in what way? America is a secular and increasingly non-Christian nation. The Bible nowhere even hints that a secular government should promote Christian morality. The Bible offers no guidance as to how Christians should vote in a democracy. So, I think you are presuming too much in stating that people who vote differently than you do, "value their political positions more than their faith."

Christians should not support the killing of innocent life.

I agree, and personally I support laws designed to curb the abortion rate, even to the point of criminalizing abortion. But, I know some very sincere Christians who have put a lot of thought into the issue and come to a different conclusion. I wouldn't say that these Christians "support the killing of innocent life." I'd say that they have a different view of the government's role in legislating the issue of abortion.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Republicans and Democrats hold different views on the role of government. Neither of them seem to hold the view that the government's job is to impose Christian morality on the populace.

All laws are moral laws. God's intended purpose for government IS to impose morality. It's only a matter of who's (in the US).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟32,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
All laws are moral laws. God's intended purpose for government IS to impose morality. It's only a matter of who's (in the US).

At one time I believed that as well. But, the more I know of law and the more I know of Scripture the more I am convinced that that is wrong. The essence of Paul's teachings, throughout his epistles, especially in Romans and Galatians, is that law is powerless to bring about goodness. Now, in Paul's context, he was talking about God's law.. But, if that is true of God's law, which is perfect, how much more true is it of human law, which is flawed? Human law exists to provide a sense of order so that a society can function most effectively. If cannot, does not, and should not, seek to punish every immoral act, and it should punish no act solely on the basis of morality. Rather, the purpose of human law is to ensure that individuals within a society can act within the society in a manner that is beneficial to themselves and to others. In short, the role of the government is to enact laws that protect each person's life and safety, their liberty, and their property, and to provide the basic infrastructure needed for each person within the society to live relatively safely, freely, and prosperously.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
At one time I believed that as well. But, the more I know of law and the more I know of Scripture the more I am convinced that that is wrong. The essence of Paul's teachings, throughout his epistles, especially in Romans and Galatians, is that law is powerless to bring about goodness. Now, in Paul's context, he was talking about God's law.. But, if that is true of God's law, which is perfect, how much more true is it of human law, which is flawed? Human law exists to provide a sense of order so that a society can function most effectively. If cannot, does not, and should not, seek to punish every immoral act, and it should punish no act solely on the basis of morality. Rather, the purpose of human law is to ensure that individuals within a society can act within the society in a manner that is beneficial to themselves and to others. In short, the role of the government is to enact laws that protect each person's life and safety, their liberty, and their property, and to provide the basic infrastructure needed for each person within the society to live relatively safely, freely, and prosperously.

They law restrains in non-Christians in a different way. It does not create righteousness. It keep people in line by fear of punishment. It works.

Upvote 0

Kersh

Jan 23, 2016
Michigan
✟32,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They law restrains in non-Christians in a different way. It does not create righteousness.

But the question we're exploring here is what is it intended to restrain? Immoral conduct? Or conduct that impairs others from enjoying their life, liberty, and property? Or something else entirely?

It keep people in line by fear of punishment. It works.

As someone who works with felons on a daily basis, I must strongly, but respectfully disagree.

Upvote 0

AionPhanes

Jan 1, 2015
Michigan
✟18,174.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Since dems are ok with several things that are against bible

Repub are usually against abortion, transgendered gay,multiple spouse, child out of wedlock , etc

Are those the only issues the Bible discusses or that the government might legislate about?

The Bible never condemns multiple spouses (and since when was legalizing it a plank of the Democratic party for that matter?**). At best the Bible might obliquely reference something pertinent to the issue of abortion. Can't find anything in it about transgender. It makes (possibly) one or two statements that relate to gay sex explicitly. Those are hardly the key issues of the Bible. It does talk a lot about justice for the poor and oppressed and treating strangers in your land well and all that though.

** Isn't it usually conservative Republican (fundamentalist) Mormons who go for that?

Upvote 0