Historical Creationism: Literal Genesis, Old Earth

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟269,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
There's nothing wrong with looking for scientific evidence to support Biblical monogenism, but that evidence will be interpreted differently by those committed to a materialist worldview.

Have you got any examples of this?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Bungle_Bear
Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟298,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Evolutionists are masters of ad hoc explanations. When the transitional fossils weren't found to support Darwinian evolution, we were given the ad hoc explanation of punctuated equilibrium.

Stephen Jay Gould was required reading in my anthropology course, and I don't consider him a particularly gifted thinker. Gould's belief in sudden, revolutionary change in the biological world was inspired more by his belief in Marxism than by the actual evidence.

Though you were given literally lists of transitional fossils in this very thread. Here's an entire thread just for you (see link below). And Gould also acknowledged what he has referred to as an abundance of transitional fossils.

Proving that Links Exist

How can you say that transitional fossils weren't found if we have lists of them?

Alternatively, how could it be suggested that these lists of fossils don't support the theory of evolution when they all fit perfectly into a fossil succession that directly matches cladistics based phylogenies of other fields of study?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
People ask for transitional fossils. They are provided with lists and information and details about them.
I've seen "lists and detailed information about them."

Specifically that fossil hominid skull chart put out by that anthropology site.

If that's your idea of transitionals, then I'm Genghis Khan.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

What's your idea of transitionals?

Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟298,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Would you like to address the details of my post?

For example, with respect to Tiktaalik, how do you think that its locality was predicted?

Proving that Links Exist

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What's your idea of transitionals?
That they were all real tax-pay...

LOL -- I have a feeling you know exactly what my idea is.

You're just testing me again, aren't you? ;)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,918,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For example, with respect to Tiktaalik, how do you think that its locality was predicted?
QV please:
He probably heard stories of "fishapods" from the Inuits, and went and investigated.

Finding them, he did what any modern scientist would do -- took the credit for discovering them by way of evolutionary prediction.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
That they were all real tax-pay...

LOL -- I have a feeling you know exactly what my idea is.

You're just testing me again, aren't you? ;)
A great question was just brought up AV; How did Dr. Shubin find T. roseae?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟298,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
QV please:

Haha. What?

So you're saying that these native people in the Canadian arctic knew about these fish-tetrapod hybrid fossils, and Neil Shubin and his team somehow learned of this, and then when Shubin and his team got there, maybe there was some sort of a local guide that lead them out into the wilderness to these fossils?

And that's how Shubins team found Tiktaalik?

That's not really how he describes the prediction. Do you think Shubin and his team are lying?

• Informative
Reactions: dlamberth
Upvote 0

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟298,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A great question was just brought up AV; How did Dr. Shubin find T. roseae?

I expect nothing less from AV than suggestions of grand conspiracies involving scientists around the world completely fabricating stories about the geologic record and fossils found therein haha.

I think that at the end of the day, this is all critics of evolution really can do. Just say that it's part of a conspiracy to destroy God or something like that and that all the information is purely made up

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,757.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Science and scripture need not be in conflict. The founders of western science were Christians who believed that, because there is one unchanging God, we could study the unchanging laws of nature. There's nothing wrong with looking for scientific evidence to support Biblical monogenism, but that evidence will be interpreted differently by those committed to a materialist worldview.

I've no problem with that. But make sure you get the science right.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,757.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Gould's belief in sudden, revolutionary change in the biological world was inspired more by his belief in Marxism than by the actual evidence.

My gob could not be more smacked.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟243,629.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Stephen Jay Gould was required reading in my anthropology course, and I don't consider him a particularly gifted thinker.
Admittedly I've read more of Gould than I have of you, but I'm not sure your in a position to make a sound judgement on that point. Now if you wish to assert that his magesterial Structure of Evolutionary Theory would have benefitted enormously from tight editing, I'm with you all the way.

Gould's belief in sudden, revolutionary change in the biological world was inspired more by his belief in Marxism than by the actual evidence.
And yet at least quarter of a century before Gould and Elredge published their concept of punctuated evolution the evidence was that evolution did not always proceed smoothly. For example, the department head at my alma mater posited a rate gene that controlled mutation rates, in order to account for observations. I can assure you that he was no Marxist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,757.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Admittedly I've read more of Gould than I have of you, but I'm not sure your in a position to make a sound judgement on that point. Now if you wish to assert that his magesterial Structure of Evolutionary Theory would have benefitted enormously from tight editing, I'm with you all the way.

And yet at least quarter of a century before Gould and Elredge published their concept of punctuated evolution the evidence was that evolution did not always proceed smoothly. For example, the department head at my alma mater posited a rate gene that controlled mutation rates, in order to account for observations. I can assure you that he was no Marxist.

Even Darwin himself drew attention to it in the 'Origin of Species':

"...the periods during which species have undergone modification, though long as measured in years, have probably been short in comparison with the periods during which they retain the same form".

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,200.00
Faith
Atheist
I think that the proposal is that it was written in English and then translated into Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. By someone familar with Jacobean English one presumes.
A time traveller? That's it! God transported Adam back in time from Jacobean England to take notes for Genesis... and don't tell me that God couldn't do that - God can do anything.

Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟153,453.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Even Darwin himself drew attention to it in the 'Origin of Species':

"...the periods during which species have undergone modification, though long as measured in years, have probably been short in comparison with the periods during which they retain the same form".

And so-?

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟258,757.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

And so...he is describing punctuated equilibrium.

I really don't understand why those who argue against evolution keep bringing it up. It's part if the evolutionary process itself. It's like denying that UFOs exist and then arguing that their warp drives are inefficient.

Upvote 0