Heretical teachings of the Seventh Day Adventists

yogosans14

Mar 3, 2013
✟19,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1. Source of Authority. Ellen G. White claimed to be, "a lesser light to lead men and women to the greater light." The official SDA Questions on Doctrine (Q.D.) states that, "the Holy Spirit opened to her mind important events and called her to give certain instructions for these last days, and inasmuch as these instructions, in our understanding, are in harmony with the Word of God, which Word alone is able to make us wise unto salvation, we as a denomination accept them as inspired counsels from the Lord" (Q.D., p. 93). (Emphasis added.) Mrs. White claimed to have received more than 3,000 "inspired counsels from the Lord" (i.e., visions) between 1844 and 1868. (From these "visions," she produced over 100,000 handwritten manuscript pages from which were published 54 books!) Therefore, SDAs have a new source of authority in their lives -- according to SDA's dogma, if an SDA does not accept Mrs. White as infallible, they have no salvation!

2. Mankind. Seventh-Day Adventists do not believe that the whole man or any part of him is inherently "immortal" (Q.D., p. 518). SDAs believe in "soul sleep" for the saved (i.e., no conscious existence from the time of death until the resurrection), and annihilation for the wicked (i.e., the body and soul are destroyed at death rather than experiencing everlasting torment). How, then, can one get to heaven?: SDAs believe that one can have immortality only on the condition that he comes to Christ through Ellen G. White; i.e., a works program, following salvation by grace with light of revelation through Ellen G. White as the infallible guide to Holy Scripture, apart from which one cannot have immortality.3 Then, at resurrection day, the body will be re-created (necessary because of soul sleep) for all those who believe in White's guidance and teachings (while non-SDAs will remain in "soul sleep" forever; i.e., will cease to exist [annihilated] and will not suffer everlasting torment).

3. Christ. Mrs. White: "Christ took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature ... Christ took human nature and bore the infirmities and degeneracy of the race. He took our nature and its deteriorating condition" (Q.D., pp. 654-656) (cf. Jn. 14:30). According to SDA, then, Christ acquired a sinful nature! Of course, if this could have been so, there could have been no sinless sacrifice, no hope for sinners, and no Savior.

4. Atonement. "Now, while our great High Priest is making the atonement for us, we should seek to become perfect in Christ" (E.G. White, The Great Controversy [TGC], 1911, p. 623; TGC has since been retitled and published as America in Prophecy, 1988). SDA teaches that, though saved by grace, we are kept by the Law (i.e., "partial atonement"). Therefore, one must keep Old Testament dietary and ceremonial laws, paying particular attention to keep the Saturday Sabbath and the Ten Commandments, and most importantly, making sure to faithfully pay the tithe.

Even when speaking of being saved by the righteousness of Christ, Adventist writers refer to imparted righteousness, seldom to the Biblical concept of imputed righteousness. Calling it "Christ's righteousness," while insisting on the believer's perfection of character as a prerequisite to salvation, is at worst a thinly veiled works salvation, or at best an attempt to mix grace and works, something the Bible says is impossible to do (Rom. 11:6). Mrs. White's words are crystal clear -- one will not be forgiven until all sins are eradicated from one's life and one's character is perfected. Precisely the same heresy is found (besides many others) in Mormonism. It is not the salvation by grace alone through faith alone offered in the Bible.

7. The Sabbath. "In the last days, the Sabbath test will be made plain. When this time comes, anyone who does not keep the Sabbath will receive the mark of the beast and will be kept from heaven" (TGC, p. 449); "… [T]he divine institution of the Sabbath is to be restored … The delivering of this message will precipitate a conflict that will involve the whole world. The central issue will be obedience to God's law and the observance of the Sabbath. … Those who reject it will eventually receive the mark of the beast" (TGC, pp. 262–63). In one of her most revered works, Ellen White wrote that Sabbath observance would be the "line of distinction" in the "final test" that will separate God's end-time people who "receive the seal of God" and are saved, from those who "receive the mark of the beast" (The Great Controversy Between Christ and Satan, p. 605). Describing a supposed vision direct from God, Ellen White wrote, "I saw that the Holy Sabbath is, and will be, the separating wall between the true Israel of God and unbelievers" (Early Writings, p. 33; emphasis added). She also wrote of some Adventists failing to understand that "Sabbath … observance was of sufficient importance to draw a line between the people of God and unbelievers" (Ibid., p. 85).

SDAs have, thereby, made Sabbath-keeping a criterion for a personal relationship with the Lord -- even to the extent of one's salvation! Why? Because, according to SDAs, we are all to be under strict adherence to Old Testament Law, including the Ten Commandments, of which the fourth one says, "keep the Sabbath." (This Sabbath-keeping requirement was supposedly confirmed in a vision received by Ellen G. White, rather than by study of the Bible.) SDAs believe that "Sunday-keeping" will be the mark of the beast in the future.

Reactions: SAAN

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
if an SDA does not accept Mrs. White as infallible, they have no salvation!

I use to attend an SDA church. While it is true that some make EGW an infallible source, EGW herself did not state she was infallible:

In regard to infallibility, I never claimed it; God alone is infallible. His Word is true, and in Him is no variableness, or shadow of turning. 1 Selected Messages, 37.

Seventh-Day Adventists do not believe that the whole man or any part of him is inherently "immortal"

Right....And they do a good job of explaining this, but they do not show how the immortality of the soul attacks the gospel of Christ.

You see if something is naturally good in you then "yes" that part would be immortal. But Paul states that all men, even believers, have nothing in their humanity that is good.

So, to say we have immorality is the same as saying I have something in me that is good that transcends death. Hence the doctrine of the immorality of soul attacks the gospel.

"Christ took upon His sinless nature our sinful nature"

Yes, she stated that and she is right. I'll challenge anyone who says any different and I'll use Paul alone....

Notice though she doesn't say Christ HAD a sinful nature, rather she states that He took upon His Divine nature OUR sinful nature. More later....

SDA teaches that, though saved by grace, we are kept by the Law (i.e., "partial atonement").

Well, yes, traditional SDA teach this....And that's why I left. Even EGW started off legalistic, but after the 1888 GC she changed her views. That proves she wasn't infallible.

Every Christian starts legalistically. That's just the way human nature works. Mankind is legalistic by nature.

"In the last days, the Sabbath test will be made plain."

Yes, but as a sign of justification by faith....Most traditional SDA do make it legalistic.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟929,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This post is a general statement - more in response to the thread title than to anything else.

The beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist church are stated in 28 short paragraphs. 28 statements of belief, 28 doctrines. Each paragraph is typically between 2 to 6 sentences. So not a lot of reading.

Beliefs: The Official Site of the Seventh-day Adventist world church

http://www.adventist.org/fileadmin/...les/official-statements/28Beliefs-English.pdf

It is not expected that every Christian will agree with every doctrinal statement of every other denomination that they do not belong to - so I would not expect that here either. But before claiming that you differ with a doctrine - at least "know what it is" that you differ with.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

yogosans14

Mar 3, 2013
✟19,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He wrote a book - in which he dedicated about 100 pages to the idea that the SDA denomination is orthodox Christianity - even though he differs with this denomination on some of their doctrines.

in Christ,

Bob

And what would be the name of this book?The SDAs are legalistic, much like the JWs and they are very very anti-Roman Catholicism

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

I use to attend an SDA church. While it is true that some make EGW an infallible source, EGW herself did not state she was infallible:

In regard to infallibility, I never claimed it; God alone is infallible. His Word is true, and in Him is no variableness, or shadow of turning. 1 Selected Messages, 37.

Right....And they do a good job of explaining this, but they do not show how the immortality of the soul attacks the gospel of Christ.
How does immortality of the soul attack the Gospel? Apparently you 're a annihilationist. I think you don't believe in eternal punishment. If eternal means never ending when applied to life, why doesn't apply the same way to death. Death is only separation from the body and eternal death is living eternally separated from God.
You see if something is naturally good in you then "yes" that part would be immortal. But Paul states that all men, even believers, have nothing in their humanity that is good.
Then there is no such thing as salvation.
So, to say we have immorality is the same as saying I have something in me that is good that transcends death. Hence the doctrine of the immorality of soul attacks the gospel.
No because you don't understand immortality. The soul never ceases to exist.
Yes, she stated that and she is right. I'll challenge anyone who says any different and I'll use Paul alone....

Notice though she doesn't say Christ HAD a sinful nature, rather she states that He took upon His Divine nature OUR sinful nature. More later....
This is unsupportable by the Bible. Jesus took upon Himself the form of man. At no time did Jesus take up the sinful nature of man.
Well, yes, traditional SDA teach this....And that's why I left. Even EGW started off legalistic, but after the 1888 GC she changed her views. That proves she wasn't infallible.
It also proves she wasn't hearing from God.
Every Christian starts legalistically. That's just the way human nature works. Mankind is legalistic by nature.
That is what is taught in most churches therefore its no wonder people believe such garbage.
Yes, but as a sign of justification by faith....Most traditional SDA do make it legalistic.
It (the Sabbath) is no such thing.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟929,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And what would be the name of this book?

Here is his own preface to the SDA discussion

Walter Martin said:
Together with the Evangelical Foundation (founded by the late Dr. Donald Grey Barnhouse and publishers of the now-defunct Eternity magazine), we conducted a thorough new evaluation of the Seventh-day Adventists several years ago. The results of that new evaluation were presented comprehensively in the book The Truth About Seventh-day Adventism and then later in the previous editions of this volume.

It is my conviction that one cannot be a true Jehovah’s Witness, Mormon, Christian Scientist, etc., and be a Christian in the biblical sense of the term; but it is perfectly possible to be a Seventh-day Adventist and be a true follower of Jesus Christ despite certain heterodox concepts, which will be discussed.

Such Christian leaders as Louis T. Talbot, M. R. DeHaan, John R. Rice, Anthony A. Hoekema, J. K. Van Baalen, Herbert Bird, and John R. Gerstner have taken the position that Adventism is in fact a cult system; whereas, the late Donald Grey Barnhouse, myself, E. Schuyler English, and quite a few others have concluded the opposite.

Since the opposing view has had wide circulation over a long period of time, I felt it was necessary to include here Seventh-day Adventism as a proper counterbalance—presenting the other side of Adventism and representing the theology of Adventism as the Adventists themselves believe it and not as many critics have caricatured it.
What is interesting is that you chose to refer this thread to the very man that came out against your diatribe.

how "instructive".

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

This post is a general statement - more in response to the thread title than to anything else.

The beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist church are stated in 28 short paragraphs. 28 statements of belief, 28 doctrines. Each paragraph is typically between 2 to 6 sentences. So not a lot of reading.

http://www.adventist.org/fileadmin/...les/official-statements/28Beliefs-English.pdf

It is not expected that every Christian will agree with every doctrinal statement of every other denomination that they do not belong to - so I would not expect that here either. But before claiming that you differ with a doctrine - at least "know what it is" that you differ with.

in Christ,

Bob
Where are your beliefs listed by the number? I have a problem following the format in the link you provided.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does immortality of the soul attack the Gospel?

The gospel tells us that we are righteous by faith, not in reality. We stand righteous by faith because Christ, the 2nd Adam, represents us before God and His law perfect in Himself. Here's evidence:

Col 1:21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled 22 in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight-- 23 if indeed you continue in the faith....

So "in Christ" we are holy & blameless. That's in Christ and He is in heaven presenting us before God and His holy law. In Christ we stand perfect before God. We stand just in Christ through faith.

Now, if there's something in me that's natural immortal, then that part of me is holy.

However, the Bible clearly teaches that our corrupt natures and immortality cannot coexist. To be immortal, therefore, is to be holy.

Now go to 1 Tim 6:15-He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion ! Amen

No human is immortal because to be immortal is to be holy. To say we are righteous undermines (attacks) the gospel. Why? Because the Bible clearly states that "there is none righteous, no, not even one". And if we say we are without sin we stand deceived. See 1 John 1:8.

So this heresy (the immortality of the soul) undermines our need of Christ and His righteousness because according to this heresy we are already righteous and immortal.

Clearly immortality is given to the believer when he/she is changed at the 2nd coming:

"For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality" 1 Cor 15:53

Upvote 0

yogosans14

Mar 3, 2013
✟19,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here is his own preface to the SDA discussion

What is interesting is that you chose to refer this thread to the very man that came out against your diatribe.

how "instructive".

in Christ,

Bob

SDAs may be considered "Orthdox" because of their belief in the Holy Trinity, but interesting at the time the SDAs sprouted up the most dangerous sects of non Christian Cults like Mormons and JWs sprouted up. The SDAs and JWs borrow from each other and both seem to have a odd obession with the end times. Its been proven that Ellen G White is a false Prophetess which makes the SDA Chuch false since they follow her teachings. Jesus said there would be false Prophets in sheeps clothing, they look so innocent with there "we believe in a loving God, we reject the idea of hell" but really they are teachings the doctrine of the Demons.

1 Timothy 4:1
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

4 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

The gospel tells us that we are righteous by faith, not in reality. We stand righteous by faith because Christ, the 2nd Adam, represents us before God and His law perfect in Himself. Here's evidence:

Col 1:21 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled 22 in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight-- 23 if indeed you continue in the faith....

So "in Christ" we are holy & blameless. That's in Christ and He is in heaven presenting us before God and His holy law. In Christ we stand perfect before God. We stand just in Christ through faith.

Now, if there's something in me that's natural immortal, then that part of me is holy.

However, the Bible clearly teaches that our corrupt natures and immortality cannot coexist. To be immortal, therefore, is to be holy.

Now go to 1 Tim 6:15-He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion ! Amen

No human is immortal because to be immortal is to be holy. To say we are righteous undermines (attacks) the gospel. Why? Because the Bible clearly states that "there is none righteous, no, not even one". And if we say we are without sin we stand deceived. See 1 John 1:8.

So this heresy (the immortality of the soul) undermines our need of Christ and His righteousness because according to this heresy we are already righteous and immortal.

Clearly immortality is given to the believer when he/she is changed at the 2nd coming:

"For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality" 1 Cor 15:53

No thanks. My relationship with God isn't some fictional pipe dream story. Its a fact or it isn't a fact. If you choose to believe the realities of faith aren't fact, that's OK by me.

No I don't follow the rest of your post because you're only considering the physical body. The physical body isn't subject to the law and has received its final judgment and will return to dust from which it was taken. The soul is what is redeemed. The soul is immortal. It isn't annihilated as some believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At no time did Jesus take up the sinful nature of man. It also proves she wasn't hearing from God.

If you can attack Ellen White, then I can attack you. Only thing is you'll run to the moderations crying....So why not play nice?

If Christ as God did not assume your life indwelt with sin then how could you have died with Him 2000 years ago?

Keep in mind the following:

"our old self was crucified with him" Rom 6:6

"you also died to the law through the body of Christ" Rom 7:4

If you died in Christ then Christ had to assume you. You are indwelt by iniquity and if Christ as God clothed himself with your humanity that humanity had to be indwelt by sin. It was YOUR sin, not His, that Christ assumed. He assumed you to redeem you.

Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its a fact or it isn't a fact. If you choose to believe the realities of faith aren't fact, that's OK by me.

I said you are righteous by faith, not in reality. Otherwise you are stating (which is a lie) that you are actually righteous. John says one is delusional that claims to be without sin.

Your righteousness is in Christ, not in you for you are not righteous. You are accounted righteous by faith. In yourself you are a vile sinner....Who are you kidding????

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

SDAs may be considered "Orthdox" because of their belief in the Holy Trinity, but interesting at the time the SDAs sprouted up the most dangerous sects of non Christian Cults like Mormons and JWs sprouted up. The SDAs and JWs borrow from each other and both seem to have a odd obession with the end times. Its been proven that Ellen G White is a false Prophetess which makes the SDA Chuch false since they follow her teachings. Jesus said there would be false Prophets in sheeps clothing, they look so innocent with there "we believe in a loving God, we reject the idea of hell" but really they are teachings the doctrine of the Demons.

1 Timothy 4:1
New American Standard Bible (NASB)

4 But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,
The SDA believe in 3 cooperating entities, not one entity having 3 aspects. No I'm not presenting a multi-personality type entity.

Yet when the SDA are questioned about creation they say God meaning Jesus which disagrees with their statement about God. Why is this?

I also don't understand why the SDA will try to prove that Jesus is the Father when pushed about certain items.

I don't understand why the SDA will try to prove that Jesus is just another prophet with Heb 1.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟929,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

=====================================

"One God in THREE persons blessed Trinity" -- The Triune Godhead.

Fundamental Belief #2

There is one God—Father, Son and Holy Spirit, a unity of three co-eternal Persons. God is immortal, all-powerful, all-knowing, above all, and ever present. He is infinite and beyond human comprehension, yet known through His self-revelation. He is forever worthy of worship, adoration and service by all of creation. (Deut. 6:4; Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14; Eph. 4:4-6; 1 Peter 1:2; 1 Tim. 1:17; Rev. 14:7.)

Fundamental Belief #4 God the Son.

God the eternal Son became incarnate in Jesus Christ. Through Him all things were created, the character of God is revealed, the salvation of humanity is accomplished and the world is judged. Forever truly God, He became also truly man, Jesus the Christ. He was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived and experienced temptation as a human being, but perfectly exemplified the righteousness and love of God. By His miracles He manifested God's power and was attested as God's promised Messiah. He suffered and died voluntarily on the cross for our sins and in our place, was raised from the dead, and ascended to minister in the heavenly sanctuary in our behalf. He will come again in glory for the final deliverance of His people and the restoration of all things. (John 1:1-3, 14; Col. 1:15-19; John 10:30; 14:9; Rom. 6:23; 2 Cor. 5:17-19; John 5:22; Luke 1:35; Phil. 2:5-11; Heb. 2:9-18; 1 Cor. 15:3, 4; Heb. 8:1, 2; John 14:1-3.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The physical body isn't subject to the law and has received its final judgment and will return to dust from which it was taken. The soul is what is redeemed. The soul is immortal. It isn't annihilated as some believe.

Hence the doctrine of devils...that is, the heresy that the body is evil and the soul holy. That's legalistic nonsense. That damnable doctrine undermines the gospel and the sinners total need of Christ.

You see if something in you is holy and immortal that part of you does not need Christ. This heresy you present is what Paul termed "another gospel". And he said that anyone who taught it should be accursed.

Gal 1:6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/galatians/1.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-12Him who called you http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/galatians/1.html#fn-descriptionAnchor-cby the grace of Christ, for a http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/galatians/1.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-13different gospel ; 7 which is really not another ; only there are some who are http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/galatians/1.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-14disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/galatians/1.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-15an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/galatians/1.html#fn-descriptionAnchor-dcontrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/galatians/1.html#fn-descriptionAnchor-ehttp://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/galatians/1.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-16accursed

Upvote 0