getting "found" lol

Hey, I know I'm only 16 but...I was just wondering...What are some good ways to get your music out for ppl to hear? (besides singing in church) and who would you send it too in attempts to go somewhere with your voice and even get a record deal? Any and all suggestions are MUCH appreciated
hug.gif
!!! Thanks again and God Bless!!!

Well...are you in a band, do you have songs recorded? These are just a few things to consider. It isn't easy to just go around knocking on doors and try to get signed. Record studios are looking for mature, talented musicians. For now you might want to just practice and think about the big picture in a few years.

Upvote 0
Yea...no plans yet lol but thanks for the advice:) I have some options already (although unfortunately I'm not in a band:() I live in a dead area lol but This one person I met has a recording studio and made an offer for me to use his equipment, however he is VERY busy and I dont know when it would be possible:( but I know someone else who wants to help me make a demo tape. He has all the equipment but its not as nice as the other guys...So basically I'm wondering would it be a good idea to take him up on his offer or should I just wait for the other guy who has more equipment??? I mean they both are supposed to be really good
confused.gif

Upvote 0
Hi... hopefully I will be able to help in this area since my band, Mending Point has gone through a lot of what you're talking about.

The first thing you need to do is pray! You need to really seek out God's direction for you and find out how he wants to use the talents he has given you. You need to know how you are to serve Him before moving forward in service to Him, you know?

Now, the rest I have to say is mostly music buisness ramblings, but hopefully it will help. The most important things that music industry people are looking for is that you have exceptional talent and exceptional songs. It doesn't really matter how well it is recorded if you're just doing a demo. Most record companies are looking for talent and songs - as long as they can hear those two things in whatever you bring to them then you have a good chance of being heard. You'll save yourself a lot of money if you just make sure that you and the musicians you're working with all know the material backwards forwards and inside out. Musicianship is critical to the quality of any recording no matter what equipment is being used.

Most record labels have information on their websites about sending demos and bio information. Check those out as well. One thing that has helped us out is to start small and move up from there. Don't go out and expect to get a deal with Word or Sparrow Records. Try some of the smaller labels or even regional labels and work out from there.

Be careful!!! Copyright everything and be weary of everyone!!! It's unfortunate but it's so very typical that even the 'Christian' industry is known for being very dishonest. I have seen many great artists get sucked into deals that have destroyed their dreams or robbed them of their earnings because they got caught up with the wrong people in the industry. If you're really serious, try to hook up with a good Christian entertainment lawyer or someone you trust that understands buisness law. They can be very honest with you about what a good deal is or not.

Hopefully this info helps some of you out in understanding the music buisness a little bit. Prayer is the number one thing though. He will lead you to the right people and be faithful to complete what he starts in you as long as you know that's what He has called you into. Before anything, know who you are in Him. Good luck and God bless.

Kevin / Mending Point
Ephesians 2:8-9

Upvote 0

yod

the wandering goy
Sep 6, 2003
Dallas, TX
Visit site
✟1,749.00
Faith
Messianic
My advice would be to be excellent....then "they" will find you.

I know it sounds simple but it's true. There are soooo many average bands out there that the really good ones shine.

And then the word gets out...

It's like that old saying, "Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door"

...or something like that?

Upvote 0

Skittler

Sep 26, 2003
North Carolina
✟10,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am a fellow guitar player myself, I do not have a band, but if you have "skills" then you should be able to get a single gig around town. I play in coffee shops, bars, I have even asked to play in front of the ingles shopping center, I was allowed to, and had a pretty huge gathering. Just go around to places and asked if they would let you play there and ask them if they would mind to give you a audition to show how good you are. Now if you play christain music, well then you might have problems on getting a gig like the places I do.. So that is for starters, and like you said, you are only 16, I don't know of many 16 year olds getting record deals anyways. So I would not even go through the hassle of creating a demo and sending it to record label just yet, first you need experience at bars/clubs/shops that is where to start.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums