United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It’s not respectful to not believe what someone says? :scratch:
Not if what the other person says is rubbish. I'm thinking of semi-literate people who've generally never set foot outside the US or read a book more challenging than a drugstore paperback "explaining" Korean culture to me. I don't have any respect to spare for the combination of ignorance, self-important arrogance, and sleazy condescention exhibited by such creatures.

You asked.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Back up a bit and answer whether you believe Jesus is a literal door or a literal vine
And how many times did our Lord drive away followers by using GP metaphors? How many though that say that He was a door caused any raised hackles? How many thought them a "hard saying, and wondering at who could hear it? If "take, eat, this is My Body" was a metaphor, what did it represent? And if it was simply a grossly misunderstood metaphor, why was our Lord willing to let His followers walk away rather than clarify it for them?

Too lame an "explanation" by far. It's an attempt to "explain away" what the entire Church had believed up until the folks like Zwingli decided that hard saying was just too bloody hard ( as well too bloody Catholic). So they "explained it away".

Once again I'm with Luther. I'd much rather drink Blood with the Pope than Welchade with the neo-Zwinglians.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok the creation account came from one of two places. It either came from God or it came from man who completely fabricated the entire creation process because no man existed to be able to give a testimony as to what actually took place.

False dichotomy. It came by inspiration of God, as a declaration that God, and He alone, created the universe. It was given in language its hearers could grasp (imagine that!)

You wanna look for empirical details about the Creation, you ain't gonna get it. As well try to explain Differential Calculus to a duck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe the whole account of Genesis 1 & it most definitely came from God.
I see you still haven't showed us the part where it says the earrth is flat. You still haven't seen fit to "explain" long path radio propagation, either.

Funniest Flat Earth trope: "No engineer ever allows for a curvature of the earth when designing a road!" People who say that have apparently never seen an actual road, going around curves, over mountains, under rivers, followng ancient property lines, across bridges, and everywhere else. The curvature of the earth is about as relevant to the building of a road as the procession of the equinoxes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Funniest Flat Earth trope: "No engineer ever allows for a curvature of the earth when designing a road!"

You do realize the shortest distance between Tamuning and Franklin isn't 7630.227 miles, do you not?

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You do realize the shortest distance between Tamuning and Franklin isn't 7630.227 miles, do you not?
That knowledge has haunted me all my adult life.

(And now that I've dutifully googled Tamuning, I want to go there. Prolly won't, though. My retirement job serves to fund a couple of trips a year across the Atlantic to see the grandkids and/or a Millwall football match. Plus being strapped into the torture device called an economy class seat for 8 hours is about all I can stand. If I had to ride for >10 hours they'd better be waiting for me with a straightjacket.)

Last edited:
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That knowledge has haunted me all my adult life.

Do you also realize that I don't know what the shortest distance from Tamuning to Franklin is?

Yet I have the audacity to claim it isn't 7630.227 miles, which is what one would get if one used a measuring wheel.

So what am I demonstrating?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why only such extreme mutually exclusive choices?

Thanks for asking though. It is not very often that someone asks me for my thoughts, beliefs and opinions.

I think at some point in time, probably after the Israelites were already a faith community, someone decided they should put their story and stories in writing. Without the benefit of science knowledge we have today, the writer or writers used some common beliefs of their time but also added their own distinctive and unique Godly inspired perspective.

With this inspiration the author starts with the existence of a supreme God. Not a god of winds or waters or activities or even abstract concepts, but a single creator God of all things. And the process of creation was a process of order in their otherwise chaotic world. And most importantly, this God is good and creates good things.

That is my take away from the creation narratives. No science or exact chronology needed.
Ok that still falls into the category that the creation account is a false man made superstition because it didn’t derive from God and man had absolutely no way of knowing how the earth was created. So technically your interpretation of it did fall into the one of the two scenarios I presented.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you also realize that I don't know what the shortest distance from Tamuning to Franklin is?

Yet I have the audacity to claim it isn't 7630.227 miles, which is what one would get if one used a measuring wheel.

So what am I demonstrating?
Mendacity?

Or more likely something akin to what engibneers sometimes refer to as "absurd" or "stupid" precision. Like saying that the Chrysler Building is 1046 ft 5.7746 inches tall, or giving the amount of water in the Great salt Lake down to the hundredth of a teaspoon.

Apart from that I don't know what you're driving at. Do I know the precise amount of time God took to create the universe? No, nor does anyone else. That is precisely (see what I did there?) my point. Geological evidence, what you can see from God's handiwork from actually studying it rather than looking at a few parapgraphs in a book that was talking about somthing else, indicates that it was a great deal longer than the absurd six 24 hour days that Genesis literalists state as absolute truth. I don't reckon God wears a watch, or listens to WWV so He'll know when to knock off work for the day, and I don't believe He was providing us specs in case we wanted to create a spare universe of our own just in case.

Scripture states that God doesn't reckon time as we do, whether anyone wants those Scriptures to "count" or not. The notion that "God made it look old" is too stupid to be taken serously. So the best info we have on how long it took in human terms is best measured in millions of years. An unimaginable period of time for us, a short putt for God.

If some want to believe in "six 24 hour days" (Hours? Really?), suits me. I think it's nonsense, but they're welcome to it. If salvation is dependent upon our getting that question in the quiz right, then I reckon it's into roaster I go, because I don't have a answer any more precise than "a really long time".

But you see I'm betting that question won't be on the test. I reckon the really serious "this will be in the test" stuff in the Book starts when the Creator Himself shows up.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟225,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ok that still falls into the category that the creation account is a false man made superstition because it didn’t derive from God and man had absolutely no way of knowing how the earth was created. So technically your interpretation of it did fall into the one of the two scenarios I presented.
Baloney. If you want detail on how the universe was created, you study the universe. God didn't dictate a tech manual. You'll search the Sciptures in vain for Ohm's Law or the distance from here to the sun. No more wil you find how long the Creation actually took (and in hours, forsooth!) other than a quick overview intended to convey that God Alone Created Everything That Is, end of.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you want detail on how the universe was created, you study the universe. God didn't dictate a tech manual. You'll search the Sciptures in vain for Ohm's Law or the distance from here to the sun.

What do Ohm's Law and the distance from here to the sun have to do with details on how the universe was created?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
False dichotomy. It came by inspiration of God, as a declaration that God, and He alone, created the universe. It was given in language its hearers could grasp (imagine that!)

You wanna look for empirical details about the Creation, you ain't gonna get it. As well try to explain Differential Calculus to a duck.
Ok first of all why do you run from the question regarding what Jesus said to the Samaritan woman at the well? I simply asked you if this passage is intended to be taken literally or not.

”Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.”“
‭‭John‬ ‭4‬:‭13‬-‭14‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

It’s very similar to the message He gave in John 6.

”Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.“
‭‭John‬ ‭6‬:‭35‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

”Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread which comes down out of heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down out of heaven; if anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever; and the bread also which I will give for the life of the world is My flesh.”“
‭‭John‬ ‭6‬:‭47‬-‭51‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

And you said this has nothing to do with the Eucharist.

Because it has nothing whatsoever to do with the Eucharist. It's simly you playing at, "hey, look over there!" No worky,

The Roman Catholic Catechism disagrees with you.

1384. "The Lord addresses an invitation to us, urging us to receive him in the sacrament of the Eucharist: 'Truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.' [Jn 6:53 .]"

Aren’t you a Roman Catholic believer? Is the catechism wrong?

Ok so now to address your statement that God described the creation account in a way the Jews would be able to understand. So you think the Jews were incapable of understanding 4.5 billion years broken down into six time frames? Well God knew exactly how to convey such a message in ways they could understand and He did it in Genesis.

”I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and will give your descendants all these lands; and by your descendants all the nations of the earth shall be blessed;“
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭26‬:‭4‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

”Your descendants would have been like the sand, And your offspring like its grains; Their name would never be cut off or destroyed from My presence.”“
‭‭Isaiah‬ ‭48‬:‭19‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Now God didn’t only use analogies as an example for vastly huge numbers He actually used just numbers themselves.

”They blessed Rebekah and said to her, “May you, our sister, Become thousands of ten thousands, And may your descendants possess The gate of those who hate them.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭24‬:‭60‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

And again He did this in Genesis. Now a thousand ten thousands is 10 million. But obviously He could’ve used hundred thousands of thousands or even hundred thousands of hundred thousands which is actually 10 billion. So no, your wrong, God could’ve explained exactly how long it took to create the earth in a way they could’ve understood.

Another thing is He didn’t even have to explain how long it took. He could’ve just left that information out of Genesis all together. But the fact that He did include it and not only did He mention a time frame but He emphasized on it. He explained how there was day and night before the sun was made. He specifically stated that there was in fact evening and morning on each and every creation day even tho you refuse to admit it.

So now I’ve gone and done it again, I’ve proven you wrong over and over in this discussion so now it’s your turn to post your two & three sentence drive by attack that doesn’t even try to explain anything or actually engage in the discussion where your whole argument can be basically summed up in two word fragments “nuh uh” because that’s basically been your entire argument up to this point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Baloney. If you want detail on how the universe was created, you study the universe. God didn't dictate a tech manual. You'll search the Sciptures in vain for Ohm's Law or the distance from here to the sun. No more wil you find how long the Creation actually took (and in hours, forsooth!) other than a quick overview intended to convey that God Alone Created Everything That Is, end of.
You could’ve saved yourself a lot of time by simply replying “nuh uh” because your argument here provides an equal amount of information.

God could’ve established Himself as being the Creator without giving a time frame. I hear people spew this same nonsense about the genealogy records and how they’re not intended to be used to date the earth they’re intended to establish a bloodline. The ages in the genealogies were included for a purpose. You don’t have to include ages to establish a bloodline or an ancestral record. The ages were put there for a reason and they give us an exact record of years between Adam and Jesus and it just so happens that our annual dating method for the entire world is based on the birth of Christ, wow imagine that.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do I know the precise amount of time God took to create the universe? No, nor does anyone else.
I don’t disagree with the first half of this post but the people who actually believe in the Bible do.

• Agree
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟901,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What do Ohm's Law and the distance from here to the sun have to do with details on how the universe was created?
Man he came in did his typical drive by posts that don’t explain anything then disappeared again. I was hoping to actually catch him to try to have an actual discussion about it, but that doesn’t seem like his style.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,948,499.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Man he came in did his typical drive by posts that don’t explain anything then disappeared again.

Some people aren't interesting in learning.

They'd be embarrassed to have to admit we taught them anything.

They ask good questions alright.

But then they ridicule your answers.

I was hoping to actually catch him to try to have an actual discussion about it, but that doesn’t seem like his style.

I agree.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,196,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Man he came in did his typical drive by posts that don’t explain anything then disappeared again. I was hoping to actually catch him to try to have an actual discussion about it, but that doesn’t seem like his style.
And still, none of your posts have anything to do with the thread topic. You simply want to hijack the thread for your own agenda.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.