Dallas
✟896,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Regardless of how you view them, they are not literal stars. Or they are literal stars but did not literally sing. It has to be one or the other. This is my point.
Nicknames certainly can be metaphorical sometimes.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,929.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Anything wrong with that?
Obviously. God does not use literal swords.

Earth has circles. Ever heard of the equator? or the Arctic Circle? or the Bermuda ... okay ... skip that one.
Try to sit upon that. Good luck.

Or maybe just a mistake.
No, what I witness here is not a mistake. Its a continuous mistreatment of the Bible, even after being corrected by others many times.

Why dont you believe in it, while believing in days or leviathan?

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟896,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anything wrong with that?

Earth has circles.

Ever heard of the equator? or the Arctic Circle? or the Bermuda ... okay ... skip that one.

Yup.

Depends on what cetera is being et.

Nor will I.

Or maybe just a mistake.

Let's not make a crime out of it.

No.
In other words you go ahead and believe what the Bible teaches but I won’t.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,929.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It’s not respectful to not believe what someone says? :scratch:
Its not respectful to ignore what someone says and mistreat it - like fighting for literal reading of poems and being in conflict with science because of that. Its shameful and dishonoring the actual text.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟896,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I will not go with literal reading of mythology and symbolism, its nonsensical and not respecting the Bible.
Was Jesus’ resurrection literal or metaphorical? Was His birth literal or metaphorical? When He walked on water was that literal or metaphorical?

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,929.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Was Jesus’ resurrection literal or metaphorical? Was His birth literal or metaphorical? When He walked on water was that literal or metaphorical?
You already asked these three questions.

However, do you even realize that for example Genesis is a different genre than gospels and even a different era (mythological Babylonia vs philosophical and pragmatic Roman Empire)?

In any case, metaphors are also used in the New Testament, even though not in the form of mythology. For example, when Jesus says He is a door, it would be shameful and dishonoring to the actual text to begin to take care of your literal doors at home and claiming they are Jesus.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,917,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In other words you go ahead and believe what the Bible teaches but I won’t.

People wonder why I'm so vehemently against what I think is junk science.

If this is the sort of stuff they teach in high school or college, I want no part of it.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,929.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Because I don't go X-ing a Paragrab.

If you know what I mean.
How did you decide that thoughts in kidneys are "x-ing" (whatever that means, I do not care), but circle, days or leviathan are not? Try to answer it clearly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,917,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
However, do you even realize that for example Genesis is a different genre than gospels and even a different era (mythological Babylonia vs philosophical and pragmatic Roman Empire)?

Mythological Babylon did not write the Bible.

And in fact, Babylon didn't even exist until after the Flood.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟152,929.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Mythological Babylon did not write the Bible.

And in fact, Babylon didn't even exist until after the Flood.
Bible is a library of texts that spans over a millennia. Parts of the Bible were written during the Babylonian rule over the "known world", namely, regarding our topic, the book of Genesis.

Similarly, the New Testament was written during the Roman rule over the "known world".

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,917,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How did you decide that thoughts in kidneys are "x-ing" (whatever that means, I do not care), but circle, days or leviathan are not? Try to answer it clearly.

First of all, where are you getting this "thoughts in kidneys" stuff?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,917,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bible is a library of texts that spans over a millennia. Parts of the Bible were written during the Babylonian rule over the "known world", namely, regarding our topic, the book of Genesis.

Adam wrote Genesis 1 & 2.

Not some Babylonian scribe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟896,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It’s not respectful to ignore what someone says and mistreat it - like fighting for literal reading of poems and being in conflict with science because of that. It’s shameful and dishonoring the actual text.
We believe in miracles and we believe there is sufficient room for error in the predicted age of the earth, that’s why we believe that Genesis 1 is a literal passage. The only way we could actually justify not believing what is actually written in the Bible is if it is actually proven to be incorrect and in this case it hasn’t. I know you claim that this is ridiculous but it is 100% true, the age of the earth has not been proven.

And here’s another thing, yeah the Bible is full of metaphors, does that mean we can just ascribe any passage we want as being metaphorical? The metaphors in the Bible are obvious, they’re not presented as being literal. Genesis 1 specifically says God called the light day and the darkness night, it also specifically says and there was evening and there was morning for each individual day of creation. How are we supposed to ignore that? Why is that even included in the message? No other passage in the entire Bible specifically mentions there was evening and there was morning before the next day is mentioned. This is specific information given to us for a specific purpose about these particular days. I want to apologize for where this discussion has gone because I don’t like where it’s headed and I feel responsible for why it’s gone so poorly. I should’ve done a better job at refraining from antagonistic remarks and for failing you in that regard I sincerely do apologize. I have a tendency to get frustrated when people reject explanations that to me are blatantly obvious and I need to keep in mind that what is obvious to me might not be obvious to everyone else. So please forgive me for my discourteous and disrespectful comments they were not warranted.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟896,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You already asked these three questions.

In any case, metaphors are also used in the New Testament, even though not in the form of mythology. For example, when Jesus says He is a door, it would be shameful and dishonoring to the actual text to begin to take care of your literal doors at home and claiming they are Jesus.
Ok so we both believe in miracles and that’s tremendous, I still think that the only real difference between our interpretations of Genesis 1 is derived from our belief in the accuracy of the scientific dating methods. Would you agree?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.