Earth
✟17,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or a troll. It's really hard to know who among the flerfers are really serious given how dumb an idea it is.

Especially since the only way to really believe in a flat Earth seems to be to subscribe to an ever-escalating series of absurd conspiracy theories. Which unto itself is less about trying to find any objective "truth" and more about believing in conspiracies for the sake of believing in conspiracies.

"Extensive research" my butt. Basic backyard astronomy disproves the notion of a flat Earth. I don't think any flerfer has even looked at the night sky.
What a great example of the constructive criticism that seems to "revolve" around the idea of there not bing the firmament that was created by God as stated in the bible...
Basic backyard astronomy doesn't prove anything, what a ridiculous argument.

Upvote 0

The.Cartographer

Dec 18, 2019
Earth
✟17,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Which is an incredibly silly notion given that the ISS is visible from Earth to anyone with a pair of working eyeballs.
You can't see the ISS from the ground. If you could it'd mean that's it's way closer to earth than they say it is.

Upvote 0

The.Cartographer

Dec 18, 2019
Earth
✟17,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I noticed that by mapping the sky once a day at the same time every day, one can flip through the snapshots rapidly and see the planets (and the Earth) quite apparently revolving around the sun.
Woah dude; whatcha using for a lens to see the planets during the day? And where are those argument winning snapshots that you've seem to base you're argument on?

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Basic backyard astronomy doesn't prove anything, what a ridiculous argument.

Backyard astronomy allows one to make direct observations that conflict with the idea of a flat Earth. This is why I don't think any serious flerfer has ever looked at the night.

I still have never received an explanation for things like satellites or the ISS.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You can't see the ISS from the ground.

Sure you can. It's directly observable and has been photographed by many an amateur astronomer.

Ditto with satellites. I've even captured satellites trails using an old 35mm film camera and a homemade barn-door tracker.

(The latter of which is based on math regarding the planet's rotation. Again, all relatively simple backyard stuff that doesn't make any sense if the Earth were flat.)

If you could it'd mean that's it's way closer to earth than they say it is.

No, there is no reason to assume that at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am convinced that Biblical cosmology is certainly that of a flat earth in a three tiered universe. However with the advent of Christianity the Greek influence rapidly displaced the Jewish influence. By the middle of the second century the Ptolemaic cosmology of a spherical earth at the center of the universe prevailed in Christian thought.

No, not even close.

Isaiah 40:22
'He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth; its dwellers are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.'

And Eretosthenes in that Ptolemaic period you mention believed that the sun was the center of the solar system. He even created a machine that could show the positions of the planets in relation to the sun at any given point in time.

Upvote 0

The.Cartographer

Dec 18, 2019
Earth
✟17,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Backyard astronomy allows one to make direct observations that conflict with the idea of a flat Earth. This is why I don't think any serious flerfer has ever looked at the night.

I still have never received an explanation for things like satellites or the ISS.
You can't tell the Earth is spherical by looking through a telescope. If you can, please explain and I will change my opinion upon the matter.

The explanation for satellites and the ISS is that they're weather balloons; there's no real images of them, only 3d models and they're literally made of junk that never be able to withstand the rigors of space. No real engineer would design a system in such a fashion.

Upvote 0

The.Cartographer

Dec 18, 2019
Earth
✟17,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, not even close.

'He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth; its dwellers are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.'

And Eretosthenes in that Ptolemaic period you mention believed that the sun was the center of the solar system. He even created a machine that could show the positions of the planets in relation to the sun at any given point in time.
Hey buddy, circles are flat don't ya know.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

Did you realize that the astronomer/mathematician Claudius Ptolomy was born in AD 100? However, his famous family was around for centuries before that.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I will change my opinion upon the matter.

No you won't. If you were truly interested, you'd have researched all this already.

The explanation for satellites and the ISS is that they're weather balloons; there's no real images of them,

I have directly observed, tracked and photographed satellites. They're not weather balloons.

See, this is exactly what I mean about how ridiculous the flerfer ideas are. You're trying to contradict things that anyone can directly observe and have been directly observed.

This is why I can't even tell if you are trolling or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, not even close.

'He sits enthroned above The Circle Of The Earth; its dwellers are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.'

Circles can be flat.

build-you-own_0.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟251,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
The explanation for satellites and the ISS is that they're weather balloons;

No, no, no, that's just silly.

I mean, only some of them could be weather balloons. You know, the ones that are used for meteorological purposes. The rest have a variety of uses, including TV, radio, communications, GPS, imaging, etc. So please, if you have to call them "balloons", call them high altitude balloons and not weather balloons.

I used to work in the satellite industry, so I'm picky about things like that.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟317,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How dare you. I wouldn't have even come to the idea if I hadn't done so already.
If you had, you would show your evidence.

As someone who has seen Skylab in the sky, and navigated by the stars on land and water, and looked at four of the big moons around Jupiter through a backyard telescope, you better have some good evidence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thus says the LORD: “Heaven is My throne, And Earth Is My Footstool. Where is the house that you will build Me? And where is the place of My rest?
• Isaiah 66:1

Have you ever seen a Footstool that was a spinning ball ?

Adeco-Round-Tufted-Fabric-Ottoman-Foot-Rest-Footstool-23x23x14.5-Inch-Gray-9c9b80f9-737c-483a-9970-c03d5e27a93d_600.jpg

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
How dare you. I wouldn't have even come to the idea if I hadn't done so already.

You're trying to claims that things like satellites and ISS are just weather balloons and that these things can't be photographed. You clearly haven't researched any of this and certainly never tried any basic astronomy yourself.

If you are just trolling you can say so. We won't be mad.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟317,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Clearly we never went to the moon. Anyone with any video analytic sense can see that. Science has to be the worst religion of them all.
You are so predictable, I am starting to believe you are a troll.

That video analytic sense? Got anything to back that up?

Upvote 0

The.Cartographer

Dec 18, 2019
Earth
✟17,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are so predictable, I am starting to believe you are a troll.

That video analytic sense? Got anything to back that up?
O my, could you imagine if I was right? That would mean that Star Wars was just a figment in someones imagination and we'll never travel to other planets, stars and galaxies; that the idea of exploring and seeing the cosmos was never to be and it was all just a ruse to move us father away from God?

• Agree
Reactions: Paul4JC
Upvote 0