Flat Earth And Christianity

Is it?

• Yes

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • No

Votes: 58 87.9%

• Total voters

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you voluntarily promoted "round earth" fables???
LOL!!! what a biased question! It pre-supposes the spherical earth is a fable.
I assure you it is no fable.

• Agree
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If there was such a thing as a flat earth there would necessarily be a boundary all around the outside. I deal in nautical cartography and we have found no such boundary even though we have ships, planes, and satellites all surveying the surface (and below the surface) of the entire planet.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,172,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am convinced that Biblical cosmology is certainly that of a flat earth in a three tiered universe. However with the advent of Christianity the Greek influence rapidly displaced the Jewish influence. By the middle of the second century the Ptolemaic cosmology of a spherical earth at the center of the universe prevailed in Christian thought.
That is a common meme spread by atheists for the purpose of mocking the bible we know, and I think a lot of people have bought the jump it uses: that if any group ever believed in that bizarre looking cosmology (i've even seen it drawn with literal pillars, lol!), then that somehow the viewpoint of some group once later in time is supposed to prove that's what the scripture definitely meant (!?). Which already suggests a blind literalism (reminds of the pharisees in a way actually).

To me, I rely instead on just full reading to better have a feel for the wording, to better understand, and then the intended meanings are a lot easier to get as meant. That is, to read full books without an agenda but only to really listen.

So, because of that full reading, one better can hear the intended messages of course, and therefore wouldn't be likely to get caught up in unrelated side projects like trying to claim an age for the Earth (which is just an ego side project, to try to assert such is in the Bible).

Because of listening, we could notice that Adam wasn't subject to death (Gen 2:17 hadn't yet been activated) until after he ate from that certain 'tree' (the birth of consciousness, and of judgment), and that also of course we could notice with real listening there is another amazing tree (or more amazing by far really) -- the "Tree of Life" -- something that we learn is from the eternal (in Revelation): and it's there in that same Garden, implying....well, a timelessness to that place/time.

In other words, it was a place (if it was even a literal place) without time as we think of time. (it's unimportant whether it was a mere physical place (it was totally a deeply real place tho!) but my personal guess is it was an actual place, but that's neither here nor there, but to illustrate that every mind has opinions, mere viewpoints).

But the fact of no-time in the Garden is...even this is...almost trivial in a way to me (though it ends the young Earth theory in a heartbeat, already, if Gen 1:1-2 didn't already for someone)... because the real messages, the intended meaning, are deeper by far.

So, summary, we should all remember there are bigger game afoot!

Don't miss the forest for the trees.

That's what I'm saying really.

Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How incredibly paranoid do you have to be to believe that everyone promoting a particular idea is out to lie to you?
when they have convinced themselves of the veracity of their own lies, everything else sounds false to them.

• Agree
Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟440,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
LOL!!! what a biased question! It pre-supposes the spherical earth is a fable.
I assure you it is no fable.
OK here's what I'm going to do:
I'm gonna find out what Al Gore says and then believe the opposite.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, Who Deceives The Whole World; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
• Revelation 12:9

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,172,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That would be a Christian caricature of the Pharisees.
What else do we even have? Well, of course, you can do your history and learn more, as you did. :) But what I mean, is, every viewpoint of other people tends to be a caricature. It's only a question of the degree.

But hopefully we do hear the plain scripture where we learn, easily, the some of the pharisees became not only Christian, but some were rather strong workers for the Kingdom (like Saul of Tarsus).

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
If there was such a thing as a flat earth there would necessarily be a boundary all around the outside. I deal in nautical cartography and we have found no such boundary even though we have ships, planes, and satellites all surveying the surface (and below the surface) of the entire planet.

What is interesting is that Antarctica has now been thoroughly mapped using ground (and ice) penetrating radar.
https://scitechdaily.com/high-precision-map-shows-what-the-land-looks-like-under-antarcticas-ice-sheet/
We may have to revise our ideas of Antarctica as a "continent" --- it looks more like an archipelago.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟440,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
All part of the Big Globe(TM) agenda.
IMG_1840.JPG

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,172,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is interesting is that Antarctica has now been thoroughly mapped using ground (and ice) penetrating radar.
https://scitechdaily.com/high-precision-map-shows-what-the-land-looks-like-under-antarcticas-ice-sheet/
We may have to revise our ideas of Antarctica as a "continent" --- it looks more like an archipelago.
Ah, that's useful to correct one key mistaken idea used in those theories. Very good.

(Another slightly related that came to me the other day, to help correct some other related wrong ideas, is to point out that how Venus has phases easily visible through a cheap telescope, like the moon has phases, but those phases are not on the same time period as the moon. Different time periods for the phases of the moon and of Venus! Ergo, Venus is therefore in orbit.

Finis!

(Match! Set! Point! ??)

(or so I imagine :) ...maybe too optimistic there, lol)

I have to admit, I wish I could just defeat this false idea that harms the reputation of the bible indirectly, by mis-association, with just disproof. But I think that's not quite how to. Instead, perhaps we need to bring them the Good News, from the New Testament, I think....)

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟440,510.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've always thought that the social-engineering aspects of keeping millions of scientists, institutions, teachers, pilots, everyone basically, on the same "fake" round earth script are even more far fetched than the actual physical flat earth idea.... which is to say, impossible.

Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,172,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Like that.

Here's another (somewhat more obscure without explanation, but one thing some inventor made up is a (needed for their theory) notion that the planets are not orbiting....) --

But... "yet it moves"

Venus has phases, just like the moon.

But the phases are not in sync with those of the moon.

:)

These images of Venus below are JUST LIKE WHAT I SAW at age 12 doing my own observations with my own telescope, over time. A little 3.5" telescope of decent quality. I even took it apart just to examine all the mechanism and study how it worked in detail (I'm like that).

300px-Phases_Venus.jpg

Phases of Venus - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
From my observations, watching and discernment, it seems like paranoid delusion.

From my observations, watching and discernment, it seems like you're just wrong.

Upvote 0