Nov 8, 2004
Sunny Florida
✟15,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you think of this idea for a novel:

Its a little jumbled up but something about a man and when he sleeps, he's in a whole other world, a world of dreams. The whole world is made up of everyone in the world's dreams and he goes through the world and saves nightmares to make them dreams.... I dunno, its a little weird, but its a start...

O, BTW, there is NO cure for the dreaded Writers Block... sorry... ;)

Upvote 0

KristianJ

What's in a name? Letters...
Feb 9, 2004
Sydney, Australia
✟35,788.00
Faith
Christian
Writing4Jesus said:

Its a little jumbled up but something about a man and when he sleeps, he's in a whole other world, a world of dreams. The whole world is made up of everyone in the world's dreams and he goes through the world and saves nightmares to make them dreams.... I dunno, its a little weird, but its a start...

O, BTW, there is NO cure for the dreaded Writers Block... sorry... ;)

That sort of reminds me of one of the Halloween episodes of The Simpsons - definitely an unorthodox idea but could work well. Would you have parts or chapters based on a night's dreaming or would the plot revolve around one night?

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Kristian said:
I used to get over it by quitting... But I'd probably go out and skim read a couple of smaller novels from the genre I'm writing in to get inspiration

fair enough, Kristian. i was gonna say that quitting is not the equivalent of overcoming a writer's block. ;)

owl said:
how do you get over writer's block?

from 2-3 semesters ago, my tutor said there's no such thing as writer's block. A shame that i can't remember the argument.. just the impression that it was quite something.

as to your question, i think 'don't give up' is the key, because something always comes up. :)

W4J said:

sounds workable. Actually, you can expand it quite a lot! :idea: What if some of the people in the dream are real people in real life? possibilities, possibilities...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Writing4Jesus

Nov 8, 2004
Sunny Florida
✟15,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sort of reminds me of one of the Halloween episodes of The Simpsons - definitely an unorthodox idea but could work well. Would you have parts or chapters based on a night's dreaming or would the plot revolve around one night?

definatly parts and chapters; a whole story line, plot and all... it's still in the works...

sounds workable. Actually, you can expand it quite a lot! :idea: What if some of the people in the dream are real people in real life? possibilities, possibilities...

Yeah, there's still many ideas wrapped in that... real people... yeah I actually thought of that at one point. It would be really cool, some sort of trick ending and tell the reader that later....

Upvote 0

Ellesar

biomedical engineer-to-be and LOTR fanatic
Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I got a major case of writer's block on one of my stories, and I abandoned for nearly a year. I just recently got back to it, and re-read it, and I have some ideas for what to do next, but not much.

The story I'm working on is about a girl, who has heard the stories about dragons living near her hometown hundreds of years ago, and she has a feeling that they're still alive, and wants to find them. I've gotten to the point where she's about to leave to search for the dragons, but have kind of come to standstill, because I'm not exactly sure what to do next.

Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

die2live

Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
✟10,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Writing4Jesus said:

Its a little jumbled up but something about a man and when he sleeps, he's in a whole other world, a world of dreams. The whole world is made up of everyone in the world's dreams and he goes through the world and saves nightmares to make them dreams.... I dunno, its a little weird, but its a start...;)

It sounds like a Ted Dekker novel. As he is one of my favorites, it sounds great to me. I'm real into reading fantasy. I can't stand writing it, but I love reading it. Go for it. The rough edges will smooth out.

I am having difficulty right now with research. When will it end? I want to actually start writing sometime within the next century, but there seems to be way too much research.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Ellesar said:
The story I'm working on is about a girl, who has heard the stories about dragons living near her hometown hundreds of years ago, and she has a feeling that they're still alive, and wants to find them. I've gotten to the point where she's about to leave to search for the dragons, but have kind of come to standstill, because I'm not exactly sure what to do next.

Any suggestions?

well, something has to get her to leave. um, she has to plan on the sort of equipments she needs and transportation? is this place of the dragons' far away? how is she going to get there? is she going to meet anyone on the way who might be also.. dragon hunting?

die2live said:
I am having difficulty right now with research. When will it end? I want to actually start writing sometime within the next century, but there seems to be way too much research.

on what?

Upvote 0

Ellesar

biomedical engineer-to-be and LOTR fanatic
Jul 2, 2004
Rinoth with the dragons
Visit site
✟47,119.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Blessed-one said:
well, something has to get her to leave. um, she has to plan on the sort of equipments she needs and transportation? is this place of the dragons' far away? how is she going to get there? is she going to meet anyone on the way who might be also.. dragon hunting?

Well...I've already gotten the equipment planned out...

Upvote 0

Blessed-one

a long journey ahead
Jan 30, 2002
Australia
Visit site
✟25,777.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
hi Ellesar,

i guess if you haven't already done so, you need to expand the map and add in places on the way to the dragons' region, as well as the type of people that are in the made up world. That way you get to see what other characters you can add, and help your main character in her search.

Upvote 0

die2live

Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
✟10,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There are four parts to my story. One's on a ship, one's in America during the revolutionary war during Benedict Arnold's betrayal, one's soon after with the a tribe of the Iroquis and the last is in a town of Quakers. I think I've pretty much got the ship and Benedict Arnold down. I was so pleased with that until I realized that I was only half done as I still had Quakers and Iroquis to do. It's not so much that I'm having trouble doing research. It's just that there's so much to do. I'm trying to figure out how to do it faster.
BTW, if anyone is struggling with how to do research, I have a suggestion. At least if you're studying something historical. Go to the library and find children's books on that subjest. They may not be as in-depth as adult books, but they give a good overview with pictures and, frankly, they are a lot more interesting. I did this while studying the Revolution and ships. I haven't found anything on Quakers yet, but I think I'll use it on the Iroquis as well. It works. ;)

Upvote 0