Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"I've been struggling w/ this issue. My family's denomination accepts women pastors. The one at the church we attend is only an associate pastor, which I guess I'm fine w/. My concern is the denomination as a whole would allow her be the head pastor.
I also attend the Baptist church w/ friends. They are a lot more strict on this. So I'm having to reconcile my family's faith w/ that what I read in the Bible & what is taught at the Baptist church."

I am still struggling w/ this.

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟8,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
While I agree with Paul overall command that women as a whole should not usurp authority over men in the Church, I Corinthians 14:34-35; I Timothy 2:9-16. We have even Paul himself challenging this view:
1) I commend unto Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:
2) That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.
Romans 16:1-2

Paul in this last chapter of Romans is actually endorsing a woman for some type of ministry. We can argue over whatever it was, but they are commanded to assist her which seems to put her in some authority.
We find that Jesus first revealed Himself to women to be His 1st witnesses because of their total devotion to Him, Matthew 28:8-10; under the OT law that Paul spoke of this is considered foolish because women were not thought to be a good standard of witness. Read Paul statement in Galatians 3:28; and you will see that in Christ Jesus; he honored everyone.
The Book of Hebrews according to most scholars is consider unclear as to the author. Many believe it to be Paul or some other Apostle. But I agreed with many scholars who think it is Priscilla, the wife of Aquila who wrote this Book. These both are said to have taught Apollos the way of God more perfectly, Acts 18:26
No I don’t think women as a whole should take authority over men. But the OT and NT shows many a time where women of faith are called to great Ministry for God. Sometimes it is judgment on us men for our lack of faith, Judges 4:8-9.

Upvote 0

65James

Feb 18, 2024
Minnesota
✟8,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I can recall while in the US Army (yes I was in the Air Guard then had a real say DAH! moment and joined the Army). Stationed over in Germany getting a ride back to the barracks with two female Missionaries it was very embarrassing for me. These two ladies were school teachers at our church (IFBC) driving a van with the Church‘s name on it. I kid you not every guy we drove by they both made cat calls out to, I duck down in back and hid. I believe this is what Paul referred to when forbidding women to preach.
Then my brother got me to attend a Nazarene Church while in Kansas, a class I sat in had an Associate Pastor Mickey Zorectic (if I remember her last name right). I would be like Paul was like with Phebe when describing her because I can nearly guarantee she never had any blood on her hands, Ezekiel 3:18. She did everything to honor Paul saying in Romans 10:9-15; with her beautiful feet.

I think as a whole women should not preach, but God calls some to His ministry because they are so gifted Romans 11:29. Also while God seeks for men, He can’t always find us, Ezekiel 22:30; when a godly woman is there I think God will send her.

• Useful
Reactions: riesie
Upvote 0