What is your favorite mass of the year?

• Easter

• Easter vigil

• Midnight mass

• Christmas day

• Holy Thursday

• Palm Sunday

• Pentecost

• Good Friday (Yes, I know it's not a mass)

• Specific feast day

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
I love Palm Sunday; this past one is actually what got me attending mass regularly again.

Holy Thursday is beautiful, though.

And coming from a French-Canadian family, I can't help but love Midnight Mass.

I'm sure!!

I love Good Friday...it is riveting and solemn...but peaceful

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I like midnight mass on Christmas Eve. :) Second favorite, Ash Wednesday. :) I know, I know, but ashes are cool. ;)

I also enjoy Candlemas (As it's known in Anglicanism), which is the Feast of the Purification of Mary/Presentation of Jesus in the Temple/Feast of St. Blaise in the RCC, I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
It saddens me that it came to this, but I am glad to be able to share my faith without fear of being told to leave the Church.
:( by who?

I stand convicted, by the rules that I helped to write...that we are in communion with our Church...that we are striving to change our Church...please don't tell me this.

Upvote 0

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
:( by who?

I stand convicted, by the rules that I helped to write...that we are in communion with our Church...that we are striving to change our Church...please don't tell me this.

Mostly it was repeated questioning of why someone with my beliefs would remain Catholic. I guess they have a different view of Church history than I do. Doing a paper on the history of Purgatory allowed me to see how much an topic can vary over the years. Often, a core idea or concept is surrounded by details that are discarded by later generations. In this context, it's not surprising that a document could miss the point on many of the details while trying to capture an eternal truth.

Upvote 0

Protinus

Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟53,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Mostly it was repeated questioning of why someone with my beliefs would remain Catholic. I guess they have a different view of Church history than I do. Doing a paper on the history of Purgatory allowed me to see how much an topic can vary over the years. Often, a core idea or concept is surrounded by details that are discarded by later generations. In this context, it's not surprising that a document could miss the point on many of the details while trying to capture an eternal truth.

please contribute to our Wiki ...I wrote on dissent...it felt like Mac truck ran over me doing it...but I still felt convicted as if someone said, "get the hell up, we've got more to do". OK, it was in my dream.

Frag please go here:
http://www.christianforums.com/t5725946-wiki-liberal-catholics.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our Christmas Ever service at my Lutheran church is at 7 pm on the 24th — which is just fine by me, because that means that my partner and I get to go to the Midnight Mass at St. David's Episcopal (here in Austin), which is absolutely, mind-blowingly spectacular!

Even Lutheran music directors have the right to sit back on occasion and be dazzled!

The one night of the year when I get teary and choked up is when the congregation sings, "A Stable Lamp is Lighted" (and I've never been able to sing that carol all the way through) and "Silent Night" (ditto — but I did play the carol last year using my left hand alone while holding a candle with my right hand!).

The St. David's Easter Vigil is just as good — but it's much longer. Starts at 8, finishes at about 12:30 AM.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It saddens me that it came to this, but I am glad to be able to share my faith without fear of being told to leave the Church.
It saddens us all that it has come to this, but it was necessary. I was actually screamed at and told that I was EVIL!!!, not just told to leave the church. Those of us that wrestle with dissent, or honest objections, need a place to discuss Catholic faith.
I am glad that you are here, and we could provide a place for you:hug: I respect the leadership of OBOB and what they are trying to do, but I still think that this forum was necessary. I am so glad that you are here

As far as Masses go, my favorite is Christmas midnight Mass, and all the other Masses of Advent. It is such a great time of anticipation, and it brings back many nostalgic childhood memories.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
My favourite is Easter Vigil. I go to a huge old (13th-14th-15th century) gothic cathedral, and it's so impressive to start in absolute darkness and slowly see light return. Also, I'm very fond of the long litany of saints.

Second favourite is Christmas midnight Mass, because of the carols - I'm a bit sentimental.

Upvote 0

scraparcs

aka Mayor McCheese
Mar 4, 2002
Massachusetts
✟91,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I love midnight Mass. I went once with my aunt and uncle when I was perhaps 11 or 12, and I absolutely loved it and kept trying to go back, only for something to come up every single year.

Then I decided to go to Mass as an adult. The Catholic Church has that beautiful Mass every day of the year!!! I was so sad I had missed it so long!

Now I struggle with going too often. Mass is so very special that I hate to cheapen it by making it a mere routine event.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.