Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's come to my attention recently that we've had newcomers in the Wesleyan forums that have come on here and asked questions about the process of sanctification or the act of God making us holy. I thought that this would be a good thread to explain to others what the process of sanctification is from the perspective of the Wesleyan Tradition. I think that many of the readers will find after reading not just my comments but the comments of others that this is a very biblical concept and even other denominations recognize it but just don't use the words that we would to describe it. So here it goes:

Definition of Sanctification: to make holy; set apart as sacred; consecrate., to purify or free from sin, to make productive of or conducive to spiritual blessing.

How Sanctification Works: After someone has become a born again believer in Jesus Christ several things happen. First, by accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and inviting him into your life you are forgiven of all sins past, present, and future. God washes your soul clean and begins the process of giving you a new nature to replace the nature that was sinful. This is what we would call initial sanctification. During initial sanctification you are indwelt by the Holy Spirit and begin to have a relationship with God but there is something still missing. You have been forgiven and you are set apart by God but the sin nature still remains. At this stage a Christian must come to the point in their life where they must fully surrender to God and say ok Lord not my will but your will. This is an experience which we would call Entire Sanctification, The Baptism of the Holy Spirit, or Christian Perfection.

Definition of Entire Sanctification: Entire Sanctification is an experience where an individual will come to the realization that they are saved but have not surrendered their lives completely to God. Many would describe this as being born again again but you aren't being born again of course you are just having an experience of God! At this point the Holy Spirit will come and purify your heart and begin totally cleansing you from your sin nature. In this state the Holy Spirit is not making you perfect to where you will never sin but perfect in that you are becoming more like Christ in your love, intentions, and motivations. You no longer want to live for yourself but for the Kingdom of God.

Sanctification Part II: After having gone through this experience you will then continue to progress in what is known as God's Sanctifying Grace where you will continue to grow and mature as a Christian in becoming more loving and having a nature that reflects Jesus. Again this does not mean that you will never sin but rather that your heart is in the right place and is completely focused on God. This is not something that is done by our own efforts, this is only done through the saving work of Jesus Christ.

Glorification: When we die our spiritual bodies will depart from this world and we will then go on to join God and our heavenly brothers, sisters, the angels, and who knows what else in Heaven. It is during this point where you have died a physical death as the demands of sin demand but because you accepted Christ he died your spiritual death. At this point you are completely set free from all sin and have at last gained sinless perfection. Eventually though when the New Earth is created God will give us what is known as a Glorified body which Jesus had when he was resurrected. It is very similar to the bodies we have on Earth but these ones are immortal and cannot die. At this point the Sanctification process is complete.

I invite other Wesleyans to give their thoughts on Sanctification, ES, and anything else mentioned in this forum that can help better explain what we believe.

Scripture references: 30+ Bible Verses about Sanctification - Powerful Scripture Quotes

Last edited:

Methodized

God is love and in God there is no darkness.
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
This above doesn’t quite fit what most United Methodists would say about salvation and sanctification. What is your church background? That might help with the discussion. (UMC here.)

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This above doesn’t quite fit what most United Methodists would say about salvation and sanctification. What is your church background? That might help with the discussion. (UMC here.)
Greetings Methodized! I once was United Methodist as well but switched to the Church of the Nazarene. It would be nice to hear from the UMC perspective!

Upvote 0

Methodized

God is love and in God there is no darkness.
Site Supporter
Feb 1, 2019
Midwest USA
✟103,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Greetings Methodized! I once was United Methodist as well but switched to the Church of the Nazarene. It would be nice to hear from the UMC perspective!

I’ll do my best. :)

Most United Methodists view salvation, particularly for those raised in the church, as a journey. So while some come to faith in Christ with a sudden culminating experience, what some refer to as “being born again” most grow up believing in Jesus and come to faith gradually. In confirmation, or at some other time along the way, the acknowledge and make a commitment to that faith that has been being nurtured in them their whole life.

The grace of God was working in their young life (what we call Prevenient Grace) and then as part of the journey that came to an experience of justification.

Sanctification is the continued work of grace in the individuals life to become more like Christ seeking what Wesleyan Christians call “Perfection.” Perfection isn’t sinlessness. It is being at a place in God’s grace when we can be “perfect in love,” that is loving others as fully as Christ loves us.

Entire Sanctification/Being Perfect in love is a gift of God that we earnestly seek after in this life but it is only achieved as a gift form God, not as something human beings accomplish. Few would/could claim that they have been perfected. As far as I know John Wesley himself never claimed to have been completely sanctified.

United Methodists believe that we receive the work of the Holy Spirit throughout our life but if we had to place a time when we are marked with a “baptism of the Holy Spirit” it would be when we receive the sacrament of baptism.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
How Sanctification Works: After someone has become a born again believer in Jesus Christ several things happen. First, by accepting Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and inviting him into your life you are forgiven of all sins past, present, and future.

I'm reading JW's sermons, and another book about his life, and I thought he held to the scriptural belief that only your past sins are forgiven.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm reading JW's sermons, and another book about his life, and I thought he held to the scriptural belief that only your past sins are forgiven.
Sorry I used a more evangelical term when explaining that part of sanctification. All future sins are forgiven as it relates to salvation and eternal life is what I meant. There must of course still be continuous repentance throughout one's life.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, guys, this is helpful! I have heard of some Nazarenes describing a "second work of grace". Would that be Sanctification Part II?
Yes it is but in your theological language it would be called Theosis :)

As a matter of fact John Wesley was very heavily influenced by Catholic theology when it came to defining Entire Sanctification

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is but in your theological language it would be called Theosis :)

As a matter of fact John Wesley was very heavily influenced by Catholic theology when it came to defining Entire Sanctification
I can see that in his thought. It comes very, very close to Catholic Soteriology, but instead of salvation or justification, he describes it as Sanctification. Very interesting. Thank you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can see that in his thought. It comes very, very close to Catholic Soteriology, but instead of salvation or justification, he describes it as Sanctification. Very interesting. Thank you!

No problem!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Sorry I used a more evangelical term when explaining that part of sanctification. All future sins are forgiven as it relates to salvation and eternal life is what I meant. There must of course still be continuous repentance throughout one's life.

I want to know what you believe. Do you believe we will always commit willful sins? Does Jesus take away our sins, or not? Are all sins willful? Do you believe Jesus came to just cover our sins with His blood so the Father doesn't see them, while we continue committing them? These are all things I've heard on the forums, none of which I believe are scriptural.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟589,436.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I may as a guest, here >

I would like to mention how Hebrews 12:4-14 says God personally corrects His children . . . so we share with Him in His holiness and in His love's "peaceable fruit of righteousness".

Also, as we grow, we discover things that are sins, that we did not know, at first. Maybe an example would be arguing and complaining > Philippians 2:13-16. At first, a person might be mainly concerned about morality. But then we discover things which effect our relating, for example, and we trust God to change us so we relate His way in His love.

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I want to know what you believe. Do you believe we will always commit willful sins? Does Jesus take away our sins, or not? Are all sins willful? Do you believe Jesus came to just cover our sins with His blood so the Father doesn't see them, while we continue committing them? These are all things I've heard on the forums, none of which I believe are scriptural.
I will do the best I can to answer your questions. 1. I think that even after a Christian has become saved they will continue to make mistakes and to an extent willfully sin but the Holy Spirit is very quick at bringing conviction of the heart when we do sin and leads us to repentance. I for instance would say though that I don't think a truly regenerated Christian would ever go so far as to cheat on their spouses or murder someone. 2. Yes, Jesus forgives us and cleanses us of our sins. 3. No, I don't think all sins are willful. Our choices can and sometimes do hurt others even if we didn't mean to. 4. No, I believe that when we truly repent Jesus stamps our sins out of existence as if we never even did it. If I were to stand in front of Jesus right now and try to mention a sin in the past I would imagine that he'd give me this funny look and say I don't know what you're talking about Dillon because I don't even remember that you sinned because I have covered you with my blood. If someone continues to willfully sin without sincere repentance then that completely defeats the purpose of grace because Jesus died to set us free from the consequences and torments of sin. I hope that this helped!

Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If I may as a guest, here >

I would like to mention how Hebrews 12:4-14 says God personally corrects His children . . . so we share with Him in His holiness and in His love's "peaceable fruit of righteousness".

Also, as we grow, we discover things that are sins, that we did not know, at first. Maybe an example would be arguing and complaining > Philippians 2:13-16. At first, a person might be mainly concerned about morality. But then we discover things which effect our relating, for example, and we trust God to change us so we relate His way in His love.
This is absolutely a great example of growing in grace and sanctification! Thanks for the share!

• Friendly
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bmjackson

Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2007
UK
✟293,876.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The holiness doctrine's watering down took place about the time of Keswick and distorts Romans 6:6, KJV: "Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin." to mean that the body of sin is supressed not destroyed.

This made it more acceptable to the general body of Christ rather than the prior understanding that if the body of sin is destroyed there will be no sin.

ES did not start with Wesley, it goes right back to the beginning and the early church fathers taught it too. For a good understanding of what the undiluted version states read the 1st chapter in George Fox's Journal when he describes 'entering the flaming sword' whereby he was returned to the state of Adam before he fell.

• Informative
Reactions: Rawtheran
Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
1. I think that even after a Christian has become saved they will continue to make mistakes and to an extent willfully sin but the Holy Spirit is very quick at bringing conviction of the heart when we do sin and leads us to repentance. I for instance would say though that I don't think a truly regenerated Christian would ever go so far as to cheat on their spouses or murder someone.

Make mistakes, yes. Willfully sin (a sin of lawlessness unto death)? You would really have to quench the Spirit to commit one.

2. Yes, Jesus forgives us and cleanses us of our sins.

Yes, but more than what most Christians believe and even teach, who will receive a stricter judgment for not explaining the whole truth. :doh:

1 John 1:9 is how to become a Christian, from 1 John 1:8 and 10 the person knowing the law, who doesn't break the bottom line of the Ten Commandments, so believes they don't sin, but hates their neighbor and lusts after his wife. That person is still walking in darkness and doesn't really acknowledge it, even to themselves. 1 John 1:6. How many preachers do you know that teach that 1 John 1:6, 8 and 10 are born again Christians? This error leads to others: we will always willfully sin, etc. Those that teach the error also do not recognize that this is the same teaching that Paul taught contrasting Romans 7 (the Law) to Romans 8 (the Spirit), except both John and Peter said how to go from Romans 7 to Romans 8 - Repentance. 1 John 1:9 and Acts 2:38

And it is not repenting of just the surface sins we know about the day we come to Christ. It is when the Spirit drawing us reveals the core, and we truly repent of the weakness to be holy on our own due to our recognizing the carnal nature in us driving us to sin. This is when Jesus accepts that integrity of heart and not only cleanses us of ALL unrighteousness, not only every outward sin we ever committed in our past, but even the iniquity of our heart, and gives us the gift of His Holy Spirit. His Spirit in us takes us out of that old carnal flesh and we are a new creature, born again of the Spirit and partakers of the divine nature. Romans 8:1-9 and 2 Peter 1. We are not only justified, we are then sanctified, set apart unto God (another error taught that sanctification is the lifelong process of overcoming sin and the carnal nature). From now on we are being glorified. That is the true 'process' we will now go through. Jesus has already taken away our sin. He has now set us on the path to becoming like the divine Christ, taking on His mind and nature. The steps in the process are in 2 Peter 1:5-7 (from the context of 2-11).

3. No, I don't think all sins are willful. Our choices can and sometimes do hurt others even if we didn't mean to.

Yay! :clap: You have described and have the spiritual sense to recognize how God sees sin as in 1 John 5:16-17. My friend, you have no idea how rare you are on these forums!!! You also don't know how much you are needed. I just looked at your profile, and see that you have less that 500 posts in 6 years. I know it requires time, but these are the last days and the forums are seen around the world! But you are young, and can take up the banner when I'm gone.

The unintentional sins that hurt others are called trespasses. Leviticus 5:15. These are the only sins found in the Lord's Prayer, after which Jesus tells us that we must be constantly diligent to immediately forgive those who trespass against us. Matthew 6:14-15. These are also the only sins that Jesus in our Advocate. Just keep walking in the Spirit and forgive others and they are automatically cleansed by Jesus' blood. 1 John 1:7

4. No, I believe that when we truly repent Jesus stamps our sins out of existence as if we never even did it. If I were to stand in front of Jesus right now and try to mention a sin in the past I would imagine that he'd give me this funny look and say I don't know what you're talking about Dillon because I don't even remember that you sinned because I have covered you with my blood.

Exactly! :amen:

If someone continues to willfully sin without sincere repentance then that completely defeats the purpose of grace because Jesus died to set us free from the consequences and torments of sin. I hope that this helped!

He does, but that is not the main purpose of His coming to die for us. Daniel's prophecy shows us His true mission ever sin Adam sinned.

Daniel 9:24
To finish the transgression,
To make an end of sins,
To make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,

What would be a true statement would be 'Jesus died to set us free FROM SIN.

John 8:32-36
32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” ... 34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

One question I failed to ask you is 'are we still sinners?' Most on the forums have been taught, yes. No, God calls us children of God. 1 John 3:1

And as long as we keep loving and forgiving others, we remain sinless, righteous and even holy. Revelation 22:11

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rawtheran

Lightmaker For Christ
Jan 3, 2014
Ohio
✟46,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Make mistakes, yes. Willfully sin (a sin of lawlessness unto death)? You would really have to quench the Spirit to commit one.

Yes, but more than what most Christians believe and even teach, who will receive a stricter judgment for not explaining the whole truth. :doh:

1 John 1:9 is how to become a Christian, from 1 John 1:8 and 10 the person knowing the law, who doesn't break the bottom line of the Ten Commandments, so believes they don't sin, but hates their neighbor and lusts after his wife. That person is still walking in darkness and doesn't really acknowledge it, even to themselves. 1 John 1:6. How many preachers do you know that teach that 1 John 1:6, 8 and 10 are not born again Christians? This error leads to others: we will always willfully sin, etc. Those that teach the error also do not recognize that this is the same teaching that Paul taught contrasting Romans 7 (the Law) to Romans 8 (the Spirit), except both John and Peter said how to go from Romans 7 to Romans 8 - Repentance. 1 John 1:9 and Acts 2:38

And it is not repenting of just the surface sins we know about the day we come to Christ. It is when the Spirit drawing us reveals the core, and we truly repent of the weakness to be holy on our own due to our recognizing the carnal nature in us driving us to sin. This is when Jesus accepts that integrity of heart and not only cleanses us of ALL unrighteousness, not only every outward sin we ever committed in our past, but even the iniquity of our heart, and gives us the gift of His Holy Spirit. His Spirit in us takes us out of that old carnal flesh and we are a new creature, born again of the Spirit and partakers of the divine nature. Romans 8:1-9 and 2 Peter 1. We are not only justified, we are then sanctified, set apart unto God (another error taught that sanctification is the lifelong process of overcoming sin and the carnal nature). From now on we are being glorified. That is the true 'process' we will now go through. Jesus has already taken away our sin. He has now set us on the path to becoming like the divine Christ, taking on His mind and nature. The steps in the process are in 2 Peter 1:5-7 (from the context of 2-11).

Yay! :clap: You have described and have the spiritual sense to recognize how God sees sin as in 1 John 5:16-17. My friend, you have no idea how rare you are on these forums!!! You also don't know how much you are needed. I just looked at your profile, and see that you have less that 500 posts in 6 years. I know it requires time, but these are the last days and the forums are seen around the world! But you are young, and can take up the banner when I'm gone.

The unintentional sins that hurt others are called trespasses. Leviticus 5:15. These are the only sins found in the Lord's Prayer, after which Jesus tells us that we must be constantly diligent to immediately forgive those who trespass against us. Matthew 6:14-15. These are also the only sins that Jesus in our Advocate. Just keep walking in the Spirit and forgive others and they are automatically cleansed by Jesus' blood. 1 John 1:7

Exactly! :amen:

He does, but that is not the main purpose of His coming to die for us. Daniel's prophecy shows us His true mission ever sin Adam sinned.

Daniel 9:24
To finish the transgression,
To make an end of sins,
To make reconciliation for iniquity,
To bring in everlasting righteousness,

What would be a true statement would be 'Jesus died to set us free FROM SIN.

John 8:32-36
32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” ... 34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

One question I failed to ask you is 'are we still sinners?' Most on the forums have been taught, yes. No, God calls us children of God. 1 John 3:1

And as long as we keep loving and forgiving others, we remain sinless, righteous and even holy. Revelation 22:11

Wow that was an amazing read! Also thank you very much I really appreciated the compliments and words of affirmation. They really help to give me an assurance as I start going before my District Ordination Board in a couple of years

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Wow that was an amazing read! Also thank you very much I really appreciated the compliments and words of affirmation. They really help to give me an assurance as I start going before my District Ordination Board in a couple of years

I'm curious if you learned anything new. Many seminaries do not know the true meaning of many scriptures and that is why we have all these doctrines of defeatism. Jesus came that we might have life, and life more abundantly.

Upvote 0

CharismaticLady

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2019
Tennessee
✟140,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate

Wow!!!!! I made a HUGE mistake. I just re-read what I wrote and I certainly hope you didn't agree with it the first time around. This is what it should have said, and I just fixed it.

How many preachers do you know that teach that 1 John 1:6, 8 and 10 are born again Christians?

I had said, are not born again Christians. Wrong!!! I even highlighted it and underlined it! YIKES! They've never truly repented and become a Christian.

Upvote 0