✟184,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly!!!
IN Eph 6:2 Paul is specifically singling out the TEN as applicable to NT Christians.
Yes, applicable. But when it comes to editing, the issue still remains of whether it is the principle that Paul is addressing or the letters.

So then Christ affirms that it is not allowed to edit/set/aside the Commandment of God in Mark 7:7-13 where the TEN are most certainly included.

7 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men—the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”
9 He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 11 But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

========================================
No, that does not follow.

Just at the very moment you "wished" to insert the idea that there is no such thing as singling out the TEN as included in the moral law of God applicable to all NT Christians (A point that all Christian denominations affirm) -- you then shoot your suggestion in the foot by admitting that this is exactly what Paul is doing in Eph 6:2.
It doesn't make sense to single out the Ten Commandments when it comes to whether one commandment should be edited any more - or any less - than any other commandment. That's the key issue in this thread, as I perceive it.

It has always been possible to separate the Ten Commandments, thus the phrase has meaning.

We can separate other laws, as well. We could say the laws that contain the word "clean" and the laws that don't, for example.

A conclusion we have demonstrated repeatedly in our discussions Leaf and I thank you once again for setting that illustration up "again".
No need to thank me, since the illustration does not apply.

Again, the issue is considering all commandments or just some when it comes to whether one commandment should be edited any more - or any less - than any other commandment.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a logical fallacy. The Mosaic Law is not deleted, its fulfilled. Its purpose was to keep the nation of Israel prepared for the birth of Christ.
Yes!

It does not mean that all good moral principles are now erased or something. Its still wrong to murder, to steal, to lie etc.
Yes, again. And this brings up something that I've seen repeatedly: our Christian brothers and sisters who observe the seventh day want to present things in black and white terms. Thus, the claim that if one doesn't observe the seventh day, one is deleting Commandments of God.

But as you point out, there are other options: those laws could have been fulfilled. (Indeed, most Christians believe they were.)

And as you say, the good moral principles of the law remain in place.

It was wrong before the Mosaic Law, outside the Mosaic Law and also is wrong after the Mosaic Law.

However, many shadowy parts of the Mosaic Law do not continue for Christians. For example "eye for an eye", "you will not let a witch to live", "do not trim the sides of your head", "circumcise your boys" or "keep the Sabbath day".

• Friendly
Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Transgression is transgression. Do not change the Bible to fit your ideology.
Good catch RE
Sin is transgression of the law 1 John 3:4

No law- no transgressions (sin)
The word translated "transgression of the law" is "anomia".

So the common word for "transgression", which is "parabasis", does not occur.

Regarding 1 John, you know that the author uses "everyone" not in a technical sense, right?

"you know that everyone who does what is right has been born of him." 1J 2:29 (NIV)
"everyone who sins breaks the law" 1J 3:4 (NIV)
"everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God" 1J 4:7 (NIV)
"everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God" 1J 5:1 (NIV)
"Demetrius is well spoken of by everyone" 3J 12 (NIV)

Similarly with the authors's usage of "whoever", "anyone" etc. Generalization is his favorite literary device.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because you say the 10 commandments and ceremonial laws are all God's laws as if they were all written on stone by the finger of God.
No, I do not say that as if they were all written on stone by the finger of God.

I call the Commandments that Moses gave in the wilderness God's Commandments because that's what the Bible does.

Here's an example of something some of my Christian brothers and sisters would consider a ceremonial law, yet it is called "the law of the Lord". I take that to mean God's law.

Reactions: trophy33
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

Is it true that in "all the Bible" the command "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2 -- in your POV?
No, there are other Commandments outside of the 10 that also have a promise that occur before the 10 are listed.
Exactly!!!
IN Eph 6:2 Paul is specifically singling out the TEN as applicable to NT Christians.

So then Christ affirms that it is not allowed to edit/set/aside the Commandment of God in Mark 7:7-13 where the TEN are most certainly included.

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men—the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”
9 He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 11 But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Just at the very moment you "wished" to insert the idea that there is no such thing as singling out the TEN as included in the moral law of God applicable to all NT Christians (A point that all Christian denominations affirm) -- you then shoot your suggestion in the foot by admitting that this is exactly what Paul is doing in Eph 6:2.

A conclusion we have demonstrated repeatedly in our discussions Leaf and I thank you once again for setting that illustration up "again".
Yes, applicable.
Christ makes it clear - editing via man-made tradition is condemned "sola scriptura" in Mark 7

But when it comes to editing, the issue still remains of whether it is the principle that Paul is addressing or the letters.
Not true since you already admitted that Eph 6:2 is specficially about the TEN being applicable to NT saints.

Interesting that even you admitted to this - since it shoots a lot of your other suggestions in the foot so to speak.

It doesn't make sense to single out the Ten Commandments when it comes to whether one commandment should be edited
And yet you just admitted to Paul doing that very thing in Eph 6:2.

IT will be interesting to see if you can find a way out of your own affirmation of the very point you reject - seen in Eph 6:2
any more - or any less - than any other commandment. That's the key issue in this thread
Not true.
Affirming that the Ten are specifically singled out and applicable to NT saints in Eph 6:2 -- as you just did - pretty much shoots your arguments against the TEN in the head.

That point remains.

The fact that Heb 10:4-12 puts an end to animal sacrifices at the cross --- does not change the fact that the TEN remain valid as Paul points out in Eph 6:2 and as even you admitted.

It has always been possible to separate the Ten Commandments
As Paul did in his affirmation of the TEN still binding on the NT saints.

Not sure how you can ever work around that Bible detail given that you have already affirmed it.
We can separate other laws, as well. We could say the laws that contain the word "clean" and the laws that don't, for example.
Indeed - you could start a thread on Lev 11 and try to argue out of Lev 11 being applicable - but it would not change the TEN affirmed in Eph 6:2 (the topic of this thread).

Sometimes your posts reveal that you wish a given thread were on "a different topic" - but to address that - you need an actual thread on that very topic you wish to discuss "instead" of the topic of the thread you post such a suggestion on.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I call the Commandments that Moses gave in the wilderness God's Commandments because that's what the Bible does.
Indeed but in Eph 6:2 you already admitted that this is statement specifically singling out the TEN and showing them to continue to apply to NT saints.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, again. And this brings up something that I've seen repeatedly: our Christian brothers and sisters who observe the seventh day want to present things in black and white terms. Thus, the claim that if one doesn't observe the seventh day, one is deleting Commandments of God.
Step 1 - watch the actual presentation in the OP - where even non-SDA pastors can be seen making the argument against your suggestions in that regard. They argue in favor of the TEN - even the Sabbath commandment. Both you and I may object to the way they propose to edit it - but at least they get the Bible detail about all TEN being included in the moral law of God applicable to NT saints - correct (as you did in your post admitting that Paul's Eph 6:2 statement was a reference to the unique set of TEN)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No, I do not say that as if they were all written on stone by the finger of God.

Moses says "God spoke the TEN AND ADDED NO MORE" Deut 5:22.
The TEN alone were kept inside the ark
The TEN alone qualify as the unit of legal code that fits the description of Eph 6:2

The point is not that the TEN alone are the commandments of God written on the heart under the Jer 31:31-34 New Covenant also quoted in Heb 8... the point is that the TEN alone are ALSO included in the moral law of God (among other commandments) written on the heart under the NEW Covenant.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let's try this again...
Christ makes it clear - editing via man-made tradition is condemned "sola scriptura" in Mark 7
That's right! Let's follow the scriptural approach to editing, as I believe you are using the term :)

Not true since you already admitted that Eph 6:2 is specficially about the TEN being applicable to NT saints.
I believe what I said was true. It is applicable, but in what sense?

Interesting that even you admitted to this - since it shoots a lot of your other suggestions in the foot so to speak.
No, it doesn't shoot anything in the foot.

And yet you just admitted to Paul doing that very thing in Eph 6:2.
No, Paul is not discussing editing the law in that passage.

IT will be interesting to see if you can find a way out of your own affirmation of the very point you reject - seen in Eph 6:2
I don't think I have rejected any of the points that I have affirmed.

Let's not get trapped in black and white thinking.

Not true.

Affirming that the Ten are specifically singled out and applicable to NT saints in Eph 6:2 -- as you just did - pretty much shoots your arguments against the TEN in the head.
No, it doesn't. The issues are different.

That point remains.

The fact that Heb 10:4-12 puts an end to animal sacrifices at the cross --- does not change the fact that the TEN remain valid as Paul points out in Eph 6:2 and as even you admitted.
Valid in what sense?

As Paul did in his affirmation of the TEN still binding on the NT saints.
The principles or the letters?

Not sure how you can ever work around that Bible detail given that you have already affirmed it.
Well, the first thing to note is that the Bible doesn't deal in false dichotomies.

Indeed - you could start a thread on Lev 11 and try to argue out of Lev 11 being applicable - but it would not change the TEN affirmed in Eph 6:2 (the topic of this thread).

Sometimes your posts reveal that you wish a given thread were on "a different topic" - but to address that - you need an actual thread on that very topic you wish to discuss "instead" of the topic of the thread you post such a suggestion on.
I made a very simple post in response to the OP
I don't know about a trend, but for myself, I don't think the Sabbath commandment should be edited any more - or any less - than any other commandment.

###############
Everything else that I've written has been in response to things people - including yourself - have asked me about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Step 1 - watch the actual presentation in the OP - where even non-SDA pastors can be seen making the argument against your suggestions in that regard. The argue in favor of the TEN - even the Sabbath commandment
There are many non-SDA pastors who disagree with me on many things :)

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The TEN alone qualify as the unit of legal code that fits the description of Eph 6:2
That's right, but not relevant when it comes to whether one commandment should be edited any more - or any less - than any other commandment,
since "any other commandment" includes more than the 10.

The point is not that the TEN alone are the commandments of God written on the heart under the Jer 31:31-34 New Covenant also quoted in Heb 8... the point is that the TEN alone are ALSO included in the moral law of God (among other commandments) written on the heart under the NEW Covenant.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

That's right
So then the TEN are applicable to all NT saints just as Paul argues in Eph 6:2 - and that means the Sabbath commandment they contain is as well - as even the OP points out.

It is central to the actual topic of this thread - speaking as the one who give the thread its title and put the content of the OP together.
, but not relevant when it comes to whether one commandment should be edited
false

Christ makes the case that the Law of God may not be edited Mark 7:7-13 -- you might wish to read that "again".

And with no edits - the binding nature of the TEN as you admitted in Eph 6:2 - applicable to all NT saints leads us to a very obvious conclusion
any more - or any less - than any other commandment,
since "any other commandment" includes more than the 10.
If you would like a thread topic on "how much to edit commandments of God that are not in the TEN" feel free to start such a thread.
That is not the title of this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Let's try this again...

That's right! Let's follow the scriptural approach to editing, as I believe you are using the term
Mark 7:7-13 has done us that favor right off the bat.

So then Christ affirms that it is not allowed to edit/set/aside the Commandment of God in MARK 7

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
BobRyan said:

So then the TEN are applicable to all NT saints just as Paul argues in Eph 6:2 - and that means the Sabbath commandment they contain is as well - as even the OP points out.
Yes, they are applicable... but in what sense?

It is central to the actual topic of this thread - speaking as the one who give the thread its title and put the content of the OP together.
It is central that the 10 be discussed in isolation?

false

Christ makes the case that the Law of God may not be edited Mark 7:7-13 -- you might wish to read that "again".
The reasoning that Jesus gives would apply to all of God's Commandments, more than just the 10.

And with no edits - the binding nature of the TEN as you admitted in Eph 6:2 - applicable to all NT saints leads us to a very obvious conclusion
Applicable in what way?

If you would like a thread topic on "how much to edit commandments of God that are not in the TEN" feel free to start such a thread.

That is not the title of this thread.
The point that I made in my first post here is that the same degree of editing should be applied to all of God's Commandments:
I don't know about a trend, but for myself, I don't think the Sabbath commandment should be edited any more - or any less - than any other commandment.

If you believe that a different editing standard should be applied to the Commandments that are not the Ten Commandments, then we can agree to disagree on that point, if you wish :heart:

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, they are applicable... but in what sense?
Lets read Eph 6:1-2 "slowly"

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise),

So then literally,,, explicitly,,, "really".
It is central that the 10 be discussed in isolation?
You already admitted that Paul's Eph 6:2 statement applies to the TEN - alone.

Game over as they say :)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟928,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The reasoning that Jesus gives would apply to all of God's Commandments, more than just the 10.
Mark 7 affirms the Word of God - no doubt.

As you seem to point out - Mark 7:7-13 (which you refuse to quote again) condemns anyone who tries to side step, delete, edit the Commandments of God. So it is easy to see how Christ's teaching in Mark 7 - affirms Paul's affirmation of the TEN in Eph 6:2

Even your own affirmation of Eph 6:2 as THE TEN -- applicable to NT saints -- ends a lot of the suggestions you have made in the past against the TEN.

How could we not have "noticed"???

But does that strong affirmation of God's Commandments in the NT - condemn Paul in Heb 10 for saying that the animal sacrifices that point to Christ's death on the cross - come to an end when the event they point to - takes place. So that at the cross animal sacrifice laws are at an end? Even you admit that the Mark 7 and Eph 6 statements do not condemn the end of animal sacrifice laws as per Heb 10:4-12.

And this is a Bible detail so incredibly obvious that all Christian denominations admit to it.

So then we STILL have nothing to be "confused about" at this glaringly obvious point in the discussion.

Nice to have such agreement

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟184,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lets read Eph 6:1-2 "slowly"

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 Honor your father and mother (which is the first commandment with a promise),

So then literally,,, explicitly,,, "really".
If you understand that to mean that Paul is saying that we should follow that commandment to the letter - and by extension the 10, but only the 10, that's where we see it differently.

I think he is appealing to the principle of the commandment.

You already admitted that Paul's Eph 6:2 statement applies to the TEN - alone.
Yes, Ephesians 6:2 does. But that's different from saying that the 10 should be considered in isolation when it comes to whether one commandment should be edited any more - or any less - than any other commandment.

Game over as they say :)

Upvote 0