Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm a Nazarene, but it's a concept I have some difficulty with. It's complicated and I seem to go back and forth on the issue. I'm not looking for anyone to convince me one way or the other. I just wondered what everyone's thoughts on it were?

Love, Heather

overnight

overnight of the order
May 8, 2004
Kentucky
Visit site
✟15,547.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
As a member of a umc let me tell you what my pastor says "Holiness {entire sanctification} is a life journey and unatainable while we are here on earth." I was brought up Naz and fully bieleve in entire sancification meaning that after salvation we make a deeper commitment to the Lord in where we make a consious strive to remain sinless.

I may not have it completely right but at least the preimis is there.

Upvote 0

ChiRho

Confessional Lutheran Catholic
Mar 5, 2004
Fort Wayne
✟9,982.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is one small hang-up with that definition of "entire sanctification," and that is the use of the word "entire."

en·tire ( P )
adj.
1 Having no part excluded or left out; whole: I read the entire book. See

2 Synonyms at whole.

3 With no reservations or limitations; complete: gave us his entire attention.

4 All in one piece; intact.

5 Of one piece; continuous.

6 Not castrated.

7 Botany. Not having an indented margin: an entire leaf.

8 Unmixed or unalloyed; pure or homogenous.

If you are asserting that one actually is completely sinless, then this eliminates this small problem. But if one confessess to be sinless, I believe, an even larger problem has revealed itself!

Perhaps someone can explain?

Pax Christi,

ChiRho

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, it's a confusing concept. It's not a change that occurs the second you recieve the Holy Spirit...it's a lifetime progression towards "Christian perfection" or "holiness." I do very much believe that the Holy Spirit changes our hearts and enables us to turn away from sin...and I believe the farther we come in our walk with God, the more we move away from our sinful natures.

My problems arise when I hear about noted Nazarene's claim that they are now sinless because of it. In another thread someone mentioned a radio program on which James Dobson claimed that he was, in fact, free from sin. Now, I didn't hear the program or read any transcripts from it, so it may very well be a fabrication, but I have heard others claim the same.

The fact remains that sin is a choice. And even though we become more able to discern the path we should take, it doesn't remove us altogether from sin.

Am I making sense? LOL, sorry if that was just a complete rambling mess. :) Or maybe I'm just confused and have it all wrong? It's certainly possible.

Here's a link that approaches it in easy to understand language :
http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert.fs/entire.htm

Love, Heather

Upvote 0
Nazarene Articles of Faith said:
X. Entire Sanctification
14. We believe that there is a marked distinction between a pure heart and a mature character. The former is obtained in an instant, the result of entire sanctification; the latter is the result of growth in grace.

We believe that the grace of entire sanctification includes the impulse to grow in grace. However, this impulse must be consciously nurtured, and careful attention given to the requisites and processes of spiritual development and improvement in Christlikeness of character and personality. Without such purposeful endeavor one’s witness may be impaired and the grace itself frustrated and ultimately lost.

http://www.nazarene.org/gensec/we_believe.html

Upvote 0

Origen

True Myth
Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
✟311.00
Faith
Methodist
If anyone is serious about doing a small group study on the subject, I can heartily recommend A Perfect Love: Understanding John Wesley's "A Plain Account of Christian Perfection" by Steven W. Manskar.

Below is the beginning, a short excerpt, from a review of the Manskar book. The review goes a bit into the meaning of "Christian Perfection" and "sanctification". They are terms that are new to many Christians, or called by another name by other Christians. I've read, for example, that Wesley was aware of the Eastern Orthodox doctrine of theosis. Anyway, here's the beginning of the review and a bit more about theosis after that.

Good Wesleyan/Nazarene/Methodist stuff.

[URL=http://www.umph.org/resources/publications/review.asp?review_id=74]Ciruit Rider Reviews[/URL] said:
A Perfect Love: Understanding John Wesley’s A Plain Account of Christian Perfection
by Steven W. Manskar (Discipleship Resources, 2003 ISBN 0881773883)
$15.95

Reviewed by Jennifer E. Kerns, Pastor, Mt. Tabor UMC, Salisbury, NC
A Perfect Love: Understanding John Wesley's "A Plain Account of Christian Perfection" by Steven W. Manskar

"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect." Matthew 5:48

For a 21st century perfectionist, these words can eat away at the lining of my stomach. How is it possible to be perfect, when there are many temptations in an evil world? What does perfection look like? Who would claim this perfection, if Wesley himself did not?

Nevertheless, United Methodists clergy are all asked to seek it, if not claim it. These two questions for ordination are the same now as they were in Wesley’s day: "Are you going on to perfection?" and "Do you expect to be made perfect in love in this life?"

John Wesley’s "Plain Account of Christian Perfection" has been a source of reflection, controversy and confusion since he began explaining it in the 1730s. He spent a great amount of time working through this doctrine, which he believed was not his, but God’s vision for humanity. Through the years, the doctrine of Christian perfection has become a hallmark for the people called Methodists.

The process of sanctification, or Christian perfection, begins when we are justified, made right with God. The process of perfection lasts a lifetime, cleansing away all sin with God’s gradual work on the soul. For most people, perfection comes at death. Even so, Wesley emphasized that God can "cut short God’s work" to bring sanctification in a moment, rather than as the culmination of a lifetime of striving.(p.65) Although he could not name anyone who attained this glory in life, he believed that it was possible.

For Wesley, the scriptures were clear: God can and will forgive sin and cleanse us. The love of God can grow in our souls such that we are able to love completely, loving God and one another. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind... you shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matt. 22: 37,39) The love of Christ within us can be identified using Paul’s description of love in 1 Corinthians 13.

And a bit more about the idea of theosis:

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theosis]Definition of Theosis at Wikipedia[/URL] said:
Theosis, a doctrine developed in Eastern Orthodoxy, especially in the hesychast tradition. According to this teaching, Man is to become holy, godly, united with God as completely as it is possible for a created being to do so, and in that sense, somewhat in this life but consummately in the resurrection. This is not to be taken to mean that the Divine Nature of God will become united with the mortal nature of humanity. The ontological wall between the created and the Uncreated will not be torn down. The doctrine may be analogous to the Western Christian doctrine of sanctification.

And if you're a real theology geek, here's a journal article about the influence of Theosis on Wesley's conception of Sanctification: "Theosis And Sanctification: John Wesley's Reformulation Of A Patristic Doctrine," from Wesleyan Theological Journal. The author concludes that "what Wesley envisioned as Christian perfection, holiness, or entire sanctification is based in part on his personal vision of what his sources taught about theosis".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

elanor

Reunite Gondwanaland!
Nov 9, 2003
Left Coast
Visit site
✟16,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If I haven't said it yet (or lately), I am so grateful for this forum. And I am also grateful for this particular thread. I think it will be very enlightening, and perhaps healing for me.

I became a believer at 17, and the first church I attended after that was a Church of the Nazarene. The pastor made no distinction between final sanctification and entire sanctification. It all ran together, and if you really were saved and sanctified, then you just didn't sin again. Well, by that definition I could never get to a point of being truly saved and sanctified. And as a teenage girl whose emotions changed with the tides, this was pretty traumatic for me. Every Sunday found me at the altar, crying my eyes out and begging God to forgive me and sanctify me. But because I wasn't being taught that sanctification in the here-and-now is a journey with God, I just thought it wasn't working. Or more to the point, I was failing. But I just couldn't figure out how to pray differently or mean it more or live it out. It became a spiritually unhealthy place to be. I stayed a couple of years, then left to join a Methodist congregation in town. To this day, I have stayed away from the Church of the Nazarene because of that. Only here, on this board, have I begun to see that perhaps what I learned about the denomination as a teenager is not really what they believe. I will be eagerly reading to learn more. :)

Upvote 0

Bondservant by Grace

Solus Christus, Sola Scriptura
Apr 13, 2004
✟15,292.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To me, the practical meaning of sanctification is clear from scripture, and it is an act (of consecration in resonse to a desire for a life of obedience and holiness) of faith followed by a process of outworking and progressive holiness. I have included some of what I consider the sequence of the 'clarifying' scriptures at the end of this post. **

Romans 8: 13 tells us how to go about the process and also the consequences if we don't:

13 for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

For many years I have studied the lives of many of the great saints of the entire church age, and I have seen a pattern that has helped me understand what is occurring in my own personal journey and the journeys of others. This is not an exact pattern, because God works in each of our lives individually, but it or something similar is the common experience of many who desire to consecrate themselves to follow Christ.

-Conviction of sin and recognition of the need of a Savior, followed by a desire to know Christ

-Salvation by faith, often accompanied by an experience of God

-A time of grace and even elation--can be short or long--followed by a period of

-Struggling with sin(s), inward and/or outward, with failure and disillusionment (this is disillusionment of 'self', actually--not of God--and it is ultimately a good thing).

-Recognition of inability to overcome sin in own strength--even to the point of despair

-Many experience during this period absolute no sense of God's presence--some even doubt their salvation--but God, Himself, is not doubted (this is an annihilation of the self, in real, actual experience)

-At this point, a repentant, fervent seeking of God usually occurs--a time of pleading for a deeper work of Grace that can last days, months, even years--which is then followed by a Baptism of the Holy Spirit, or a second work of grace that results in the power within to actively put to death the deeds of the flesh, one at a time, day by day, moment by moment, ever accompanied by an awareness of the fact that it is the power is of God and not of ourselves. This process goes on throughout earthly life and is more and more effortless on our part, as we each day die more to the 'self' and are more alive to Christ--His will becomes our will; His desires become our desires. It is our choice, but it is His power in operation--and it is by His Grace that we even have the grace to make the choice. It is, in essence, ALL Jesus, but it does not violate our free will because it is the desire of our hearts. This is what many saints refer to as the 'exchanged life' i.e., Christ's life in us exchanged in actual experience for our old self life.

John the Baptist distilled this process when he said, "He must increase, but I must decrease." What happened outwardly in that day happens inwardly in each heart that seeks sanctification. We make a decision to give our hearts and bodies to be ruled undividedly by Jesus Christ, then allow Him to possess and rule them in increasing increments as we work out the sanctification that He has worked in. We are initially sanctified positionally before God by faith, and that is worked out day by day in actuality.

Sanctification is not an option. It is the normal Christian life. We are commanded to be perfect, even as our Heavenly Father is perfect (which I take to mean perfect in Love--God's Love), and we are told not to sin. Because God knows we are weak, He provides for our failures and tells us what to do if we do sin, but the standard is that we do not sin. We are to walk in the Light and not sin, but if we do sin, we have an advocate, the Lord Jesus Christ (1 John 2:1).

It is the responsibility of every Christian to read the Bible and understand what God expects of us, and to obey God-- and it is the responsibility of every minister to teach the congregation what God expects and how to progress in sanctification. The church is in mortal danger because of lack of sound doctrine and teaching regarding this subject.

And it is only by the endless mercy and patience of God that I am personally able to claim and use my forum signature. His Grace is perfected in our weakness--if we submit to Him and obey Him (and He gives the Grace to do that, if we will seek it in response to His Love that first sought us!).

Bondservant by Grace

**Here are (some of) the scriptures that make this subject very clear to me.

Rom 8:10-14

10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

12 So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh --

13 for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

14 For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.

Gal 5:19-26

19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality,

20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions,

21 envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Crono

Feb 9, 2002
Nashville, TN, USA
✟15,445.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Another book that I can recommend for a Nazarene perspective on entire sanctification is A Layman's Guide to Sanctification by H. Ray Dunning. There is also a chapter in the book Exploring Our Christian Faith, edited by W. T. Purkiser, that addresses the topic. Both books were required reading in my Introduction to Christian Thought class at Trevecca Nazarene University.

One of the things that distinguishes the Church of the Nazarene is that we believe that entire sanctification is something that occurs during our Christian lives on earth, not something we have to wait for until we get to heaven (which is what most other denominations believe). However, the Nazarene Article of Faith on Sanctification is a little unclear, so many people do not seem to know what it means from a practical perspective. What I've discovered is that every Nazarene seems to have a different thought on what entire sanctification really is. I do know a few Nazarenes who believe that we become completely sinless through entire sanctification, and I think (but I'm not certain) that this was the belief of the church when it was founded. However, this belief, sometimes called eradication, does not seem to be predominant now.

One thing that Dunning makes clear is that Christian perfection (which is achieved through entire sanctification) is not the same thing as absolute perfection. Because we live in a fallen world, we still have human imperfections that persist. However, a perfected Christian will not have anything that separates us from God beyond the natural limitations of the world and our fallen bodies. Therefore, although we may still commit sins, we will not willfully and knowingly do so (i.e., premeditated sins). This is a significant distinction that is also touched upon in the Nazarene Article of Faith on sin. Furthermore, entire sanctification does not preclude progressive sanctification. As Christians, we will always continue to learn more about God and grow closer to Him, both before and after we are entirely sanctified.

On a side note, I have never heard of "final sanctification," even after four years at a Nazarene college and a number of seminars since then by Nazarene theologians. There's initial sanctification, progressive sanctification, and entire sanctification. What someone described earlier may make it another term for glorification, but I'm not sure without knowing more about it.

WesleyJohn probably knows more about this topic than I do, so he might have some corrections for me later.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.