✟89,433.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 14:

24 The LORD Almighty has sworn, “Surely, as I have planned, so it will be, and as I have purposed, so it will happen.
Romans 8:

29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.
First and foremost, predestination is associated with God's foreknowledge.

Strong's 4309: To foreordain, predetermine, mark out beforehand. From pro and horizo; to limit in advance, i.e., predetermine.

HELPS Word-studies

4309 proorízō (from 4253 /pró, "before" and 3724 /horízō, "establish boundaries, limits") – properly, pre-horizon, pre-determine limits (boundaries) predestine.
G4309 occurs 6 times in the NT.

Acts 4:

27 for truly in this city there were gathered together against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, along with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, 28 to do whatever your hand and your plan had predestined to take place.
Secondly, predestination is God's plans and decrees.

1 Corinthians 2:

7 But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed [G4309] before the ages for our glory.
How do you know who is predestined?

Only God knows.

How do you know if you are predestined?

The Paraclete dwells in you permanently.

Ephesians 1:

5 he predestined us for adoption to himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will.
11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will.
Predestination is related to God's foreknowledge and sovereign will/plan for all people according to God's hidden wisdom. From my own personal experience, even years before I called myself a Christian, I believed that he was looking after me even though I didn't know him.

Now, does God predestine someone to hell?

I do not find that kind of wording in the Bible, that God predestines some to hell. However, we do have Jude 1:

4 Certain people have crept in unnoticed who long ago were designated for this condemnation, ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God.
2 Peter 2:

3 And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.
The word for "condemnation" is G2917. It does not always refer to eternal condemnation.

There are two issues: (1) predestine someone to (2) eternal death. The lexical evidence is not that strong when I consider both issues simultaneously.

Some Calvinists overloaded the concept of double predestination by overgeneralizing some Bible verses. When it comes to doctrines, it is better to stick closely to the wording in Scripture according to the precision of First-Order Logic.

What about the notion of Co-Reality?

Under the framework of Co-Reailty, from the horizontal perspective, people are responsible for their eternal destiny. From the vertical perspective, God predestines some to hell. Both are true.

See also

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟797,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Isaiah 14:

Romans 8:

First and foremost, predestination is associated with God's foreknowledge.

Strong's 4309: To foreordain, predetermine, mark out beforehand. From pro and horizo; to limit in advance, i.e., predetermine.

HELPS Word-studies

G4309 occurs 6 times in the NT.

Acts 4:

Secondly, predestination is God's plans and decrees.

1 Corinthians 2:

How do you know who is predestined?

Only God knows.

How do you know if you are predestined?

The Paraclete dwells in you permanently.

Ephesians 1:

Predestination is related to God's foreknowledge and sovereign will/plan for all people according to God's hidden wisdom. From my own personal experience, even years before I called myself a Christian, I believed that he was looking after me even though I didn't know him.

Now, does God predestine someone to hell?

I do not find that kind of wording in the Bible, that God predestines some to hell. However, we do have Jude 1:

2 Peter 2:

The word for "condemnation" is G2917. It does not always refer to eternal condemnation.

There are two issues: (1) predestine someone to (2) eternal death. The lexical evidence is not that strong when I consider both issues simultaneously.

Some Calvinists overloaded the concept of double predestination by overgeneralizing some Bible verses. When it comes to doctrines, it is better to stick closely to the wording in Scripture according to the precision of First-Order Logic.

What about the notion of Co-Reality?

Under the framework of Co-Reailty, from the horizontal perspective, people are responsible for their eternal destiny. From the vertical perspective, God predestines some to hell. Both are true.

See also

Good post.

Your Co-Reality link here also shows OP removed.

• Agree
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0