Do you believe that todays church has became "luke warm"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Christian church at the time of the end would be lukewarm, neither cold nor hot for Jesus.
Note: God will spew them out. Many church leaders and people that call themselves a Christian and are sure they are saved will not be going to heaven. The Bible tells us—you have acquired wealth, but your true condition is wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked and you <I>don’t know it</I>-Rev 3:14-22. This is today’s church. Most churches preach very little Scripture, but lots of worldly stories. Many sing a great deal, but put very little emphasis on repentance, obeying, serving, and fearing God, the fruits of the Spirit, Bible prophecy, water baptism by immersion, and studying your Bible faithfully every day. Many are only entertainment centers that teach what their members want to hear. People will not endure sound doctrine-2 Tim 4:3. They turn away from the truth-2 Tim 4:4. Many church members are so lukewarm or dead, they don’t even bring their Bibles with them to the house of God. Many ministers think this is the best church age ever, yet the Bible clearly shows it is the worst and most deceived. 7. The Bible gives us over 50 descriptions about the people at the time of the end. Here are some:

A. Some would depart from the faith and go into devil worship-1 Tim 4:1. This is perfect. Reportedly in Great Britain alone, there are about 35,000 professing witches.

B. People would have no conscience-1 Tim 4:1,2.

C. People would mock about the last days and not believe-2 Pe 3:3; Jude 18.

D. People would become lovers of themselves-2 Tim 3:1,2. Remember the TV commercials—“I do it for me”?

E. People would be disobeying their parents-2 Tim 3:1,2.

F. People would be grateful for nothing-2 Tim 3:1,2.

G. Homosexuality would increase-Lk 17:28,30; ref Gen 19:5; Ro 1:24,26,27.

H. People would be without self-control in sex-2 Tim 3:1,2,6; Rev 9:21, Lk 17:28,30; Jude 7. Is this not the great sex generation?

I. People would be untrustworthy, friends would betray friends-2 Tim 3:1-3.

J. People would love pleasures more than God-2 Tim 3:1,2,4. This is true. Shall we go on a picnic, watch football, or sleep. Church?—we can go another time. Our American motto “In God we trust” has become a joke. Remember, these were all predicted centuries ago as part of the signs that we are at the time of the end.

K. People would be taking drugs-Rev 9:21. The Greek word for <I>sorceries</I>, in Rev 9:21, means pharmaceuticals or drugs. God’s Word is 100% right on every one. How could you have any doubts at this point?
Note: Fifty years ago, many people never locked their doors at night. People could leave their keys in their car. Merchants could leave their merchandise on the sidewalk without guards, and there was no profanity on television, radio, or in the movies. One of the biggest problems in public school was gum chewing. Those days are long gone.

What do you think? Has this prophesy been fullfilled? Is todays church luke warm?

DWJD

Independent and stubborn, not to mention random
Mar 14, 2003
In this big world
Visit site
✟8,029.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm not so sure about the lukewarm part. I'm really not good at the whole "are we living in the end times" thing. But I almost think it's more of a revival!!! I mean, especially among the youth!!(i'm not so sure about adults, me being a "teen") I've seen SO many on-fire youth, it's totally awesome. I was at a youth conference called Avalanche. And I saw many people I know get touched by the Holy Spirit, they were falling down, speaking in tongues,my friend "learnt" how or I should say was "given" the gift of tongues there! I myself had awesome experiences there! I think I myself am one of the products of this revival. But I personally am finding it's almost extremes. Like you're either a "true" professing Christian who is really on fire or agnostic/athiest. I mean I'm being sort of extreme here, but that's "trend" I've noticed with many people I know or have met.

Upvote 0
The idea of the church being "lukewarm" is not a prophecy to be fulfilled.&nbsp; Jesus was not speaking to the entire church; this was a specific message to a specific church - the church in Laodicea.&nbsp; I don't think we can say that any type of "lukewarmness" in today's church is fulfilled prophecy.&nbsp; Even though the message to Laodicea was not prophetic, we can certainly take it as a warning for us to be careful.&nbsp; It can happen to us also.

That being said, there are definately signs that point in the direction of today's church being or becoming "lukewarm".&nbsp; But we must ask ourselves if we are being part of the problem or the solution by pointing out the church's faults.&nbsp; There certainly are many things within the church that need to be "fixed".&nbsp; But I also look at the world today and ask, "how much worse would things be if it were not for Christ's church."&nbsp; For all of her problems she still remains the one thing in the world that will stand for God and set an example in a world that has lost all morality.

&nbsp;

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe most of the Church most of the time since the first century has been lukewarm. Even then they all weren't on fire. Every century thinks they are worse than the one before. We should do the best we can and let God take care of the end times.
tulc

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I believe that alot of the church is lukewarm for a very different reason.&nbsp; Possibly an apposing reason.&nbsp; I see very little accual love for God.&nbsp; I see many in the church that love their traditions and their doctrine but have very little of a real relationship with God.&nbsp; They think that their many studies and understanding of the intracacies of the scriptures equals a relationship.&nbsp; Or that their salvation is a their relationship.&nbsp; But I call that just the first meeting.&nbsp;

Don't get me wrong, understanding the scriptures is key to a solid relationship, but it is not an end in itself.&nbsp; Most people's understanding did not come from the Holy Ghost, and is therefore worthless.

I want to see people passionate about their experiences with God.&nbsp; I want to see people who have accual experiences on a regular basis.&nbsp; I see very little passion in peoples worship, and lives rather they do things out of habit and a sense of duty, rather than love.

How many people do you know that want to see the face of God?

Upvote 0
While I am always concerned for the American church, I'm not a well-traveled, well-researched expert. How does any of us know the big picture, anyway. I see an awful lot of good and areas that concern me. A good web site that helps me see a little more than the acre around my body is barna.com.
"The church since the 1st century has been mostly lukewarm" Come on. How do you know that? Read a good overview of Church History: it's exciting to see what God has been doing thru the centuries. The early church wasn't Pleasantville and the church since then has seen a lot of the grace and power of God. Al

Upvote 0
Seems to me that the only way we earn the right to be a LOVING critic of the Church is to be committed and connected to one fellowship, where we are serving others. Does someone or something in your churchdisgust you: the preaching, the hypocrisy, etc.? That is a sign God wants you to stay in that fellowship--you and I need the bumps and the bruises as well as the Hallelujahs. Strong families have surmounted incredible stresses and trials and are the better for it--it is no different with the Church.
Maybe I am bummed about my Church because the people in it resemble me--a work in progress. If I take easy way out, my growth will be stunted. God bless, Al

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Icystwolf

Jul 5, 2003
Sydney
✟2,596.00
Faith
Calvinist
At uni-church we were told to question everything and trust only God. Our leader told us specifically, a lot of the luke warm churches these days are done because they want the new lifestyle to fit their beliefs. But the Bible specifically tells us that we should put on High God, and our lifestyle should be one with God.

And this is so true, a gay anglican priest has come out in public and humiliated a lot of Christians in Australia by condeming us for misunderstanding the Christian faith. It's ridiculous....I find it very annoying that he is drawing up support from the public, media or simply from the world, to condem the rest of the Christians just for following the Bible.

A lot of the people that complain and want the church to accept homosexuality as a practise, arn't really Christians. They're not the type that, goes around and preaches, they're more like the type where they have an opinion swayed by the media, otherwise they have nothing to do. And most of the support are by non-christians and the general public.

I had a fierce argument with a buddhist the other day, where he was wanted me to go into a protest outside a church in support for homosexuals. He thought it would have been good to have a Christian along with him, because I usually go to anti-war protests with him.

I almost lost a friend...but it's so annoying. On the one hand, he is thinking the Bible is outdated, and needs to be changed. And eventually the argument lead to me asking him if it was right for me to change the rules of Buddhism and make it into Christianity, eliminating Budda etc....

What a challenge....
But for a church that is luke warm, they are pathetic.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I think it depends on which church body you are talking about. Some churches are more alive than others, and some are in a coma waiting for the sweet relief of death.

Christians are heavily affected by the teachings of society these days, though. Like the teaching of tolerance...the idea that every idea should be accepted except the idea that God is soveriegn. Even Christians have a hard time accepting that one! Some want God to be their servant and not their master, to be at their beck and call and not the other way around.

On another Christian message board, people are quick to condemn those who state that God should be taken at his word, and if he condemns something, it is for a good reason whether we understand it or not. They want God to bless the lives they've chosen to lead, even if their choices are directly sinful. They try to reason that God's commands against remarriage after groundless divorce is just a misunderstanding based on outdated societal manners, and not based on the fact that God knows better than we do.

Sigh. I guess in a way, that is lukewarmness--worshipping and honoring God as long as his teachings match our own lifestyle and desires, and rejecting His truths when they don't!

Upvote 0
Saying the Church is lukewarm is a gross overstatement, and let's face it: how many of us know enough just about the American Church to render a fair and sympathetic judgement? I hope it isn't lukewarm: I just don't know! The church in other parts of the world is RED HOT! Tho they face persecution the believers in China won't quit spreading the faith and the believers in Korea--WOW!
The Assembly of God has the world's largest, 500,000 and counting! Let's make certain that we are committed to one local church and if it is lukewarm it isn't our fault. We should stay in that church and perhaps God will use us to light the FIRE. God bless, Al

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
CBK! How do you know how Christianity as a whole is lukewarm? Where did you get this information? I think it depends sometimes on the country and even provinces and states in a particular country. Many Islamic people are coming to Christ thru the Spirit-filled of brave believers. I am aware of numerous RED-HOT churches sending out missionaries and living the Gospel. Do you or I even know how the church is doing in America: at least my perspective is very, very limited. God bless, Al

Upvote 0

Karl - Liberal Backslider

Senior Veteran
Jul 16, 2003
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟20,947.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
Some of us take the view that actively rethinking the behavioural norms within changing culture, and taking a lead in pushing aside barriers of intolerance, sexism and oppression is what makes the church hot.

Upvote 0

kimber1

mean people suck
Feb 25, 2003
Va.
Visit site
✟38,363.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
i think todays church is absolutely lukewarm what with all the tolerance teachings and all and i find that sad. i tend to think we are living in the end times but whether it will occur in my lifetime? i have no clue? we did a study on the 7 churches not too long ago at church and it so lines up with today it's not even funny. that's my opinion of course! :)

Upvote 0
But Kimber1: do either you or I know enough to pass judgment on, say, the church in the US? How healthy is it? I hope it is thriving in God's sight, but I don't get around enough and have credible evidence to be able to unequivocally assert that the church is lukewarm. I look around and I see God at work in churches in so many ways that I am greatly encouraged. But then again, you may have more info than I do and I would be interested in seeing it. Please, I'm not trying to be a smart***. I love God's Church, and want the best for her! God bless, Al

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.