• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Do I have a Hardened heart or am I sociopath ?

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You care about people enough to chronically be concerned that you could be offending or wronging them, and worry about their perceptions of you. You agonize over wanting to refuse a classmate's request to you share your notes with her. This is not what someone who is a sociopath incapable of concern for others would do. You've expressed worry about being in a romantic relationship because you fear you'd make her unhappy. That is the opposite of what someone with calloused would ever feel. You have shown your heart on here enough that I feel absolutely confident in telling you that it is not hardened. What you are lacking in is softness towards yourself.

How old were you when the grandparent died? Was this before or after the onset of the OCD and depressive symptoms you've described experiencing in your other threads? If it was before, you were young enough that it wasn't an abnormal coping mechanism, especially for a boy since unfortunately in some environments males are discouraged from crying and unfairly burdened with the idea that they need to be stoic in grief. If it was more current, it's also not abnormal or immoral:

Apathy Associated With Depressive Symptoms in Patients With Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder

It can be as necessary to seek proper treatment for mental health issues as it is the physical. I do not think you have a flawed character or a hardened heart, I think you have disorders that are not your fault and do not make you a bad person in any way, just someone needing treatment for them.
I wouldn’t say I care about offending the person asking for notes. I’m more worried about people thinking I’m a jerk because of it.
My grandfather died when I was 11. OCD began when I was 16.

Also I’m not sure If I’d want to be in a romantic relationship because of me making her unhappy or because of me being ashamed of my problems and being embarrassed.

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

Justasking123

Nov 7, 2019
B
✟30,164.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was asking myself the same question about the hardened heart or sociopath, but I think that my heart is hardened and I'm hoping that I could explain it through a pathology, but actually it is just that I'm probably too selfish and full of pride to receive Jesus love.
Romans 1:2, 2 Timothy 3:2

But I'm still trying even if I'm scared that it's too late for me I still have a bit of hope. If we turn to God with honesty He will help.

• Prayers
Reactions: pantingdeer
Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was asking myself the same question about the hardened heart or sociopath, but I think that my heart is hardened and I'm hoping that I could explain it through a pathology, but actually it is just that I'm probably too selfish and full of pride to receive Jesus love.
Romans 1:2, 2 Timothy 3:2

But I'm still trying even if I'm scared that it's too late for me I still have a bit of hope. If we turn to God with honesty He will help.
Danke , Gutenabent

Upvote 0