Did the early church worship on Sabbath?

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟454,215.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is confirmed even by outside sources. In a letter to Trajan written circa 112 AD, Pliny wrote of the Christians in Bithynia:

They asserted, however, that the sum and substance of their fault or error had been that they were accustomed to meet on a fixed day before dawn and sing responsively a hymn to Christ as to a god, and to bind themselves by oath, not to some crime, but not to commit fraud, theft, or adultery, not falsify their trust, nor to refuse to return a trust when called upon to do so. When this was over, it was their custom to depart and to assemble again to partake of food--but ordinary and innocent food.

The "ordinary and innocent food" is a story in itself. When Constantine legalized Christianity he ordered that all businesses be closed on Sunday to allow Christians to worship in their accustomed manner.
Hmm...The Catholic Encyclopedia states: “…many of the emperors yielded to the delusion that they could unite all their subjects in the adoration of the one sun-god who combined in himself the Father-God of the Christians and the much-worshipped Mithras; thus the empire could be founded anew on unity of religion. Even Constantine, as will be shown farther on, for a time cherished this mistaken belief…. Many other actions of his also have the appearance of half-measures, as if he-himself had wavered and had always held in reality to some form of syncretistic religion…”

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟454,215.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is even more interesting..
The research that we have made on the subject thus far has revealed that:

1. Sunday was named after the sun by the heathen because this orb was widely believed by them to be the astrological deity who pre sided over that day.

2. Sunday was assigned by the heathen to the presidency of the sun in the astrological calendars widely used by them throughout the Roman Empire.

3. Sunday was generally regarded by the heathen as the sacred day of the sun, which they, worshiped as the chiefest of the astrological deities.

4. On Sunday prayers were recited to the sun by his devotees, because they considered that day as especially holy to him.

5. In one inscription Sunday is called "the Lord's day of the sun," probably because the invincible sun was widely adored by the heathen as Sol Dominus Imperii Romani (the Sun, the Lord of the Roman Empire), and because he was commonly referred to by them as "the Lord, the Sun."

6. In Constantine's law of March 7, A.D. 321, Sunday is hailed in heathen terminology as "the venerable day of the sun." And in the law is sued by him in June of that year the day is called "the day of the sun, noted for its veneration." This indicates that Sunday was highly and widely regarded as a very sacred day by reason of religious, historic, or other associations.

7. Sunday was merely a religious festival, not a legal holiday, observed by the heathen of the Roman Empire prior to March 7, A.D. 321.

8. Sunday was not generally observed throughout the Roman Empire by strict cessation from labor. The civil edict of March 7, A.D. 321, was expressly issued by Constantine to command that "all judges and townships and all occupations of trade rest on the venerable day of the sun." Even in this the emperor specifically provided that "those who are situated in the rural districts" might "freely and with full liberty attend to the cultivation of the fields." This implies that up to that date Sun day was not generally kept by a cessation from labor after the manner in which the Jews and early Christians were wont to observe the seventh-day Sabbath.

9. In a treatise specifically addressed to the pagan population of the Roman Empire, Tertullian' (about A.D. 200) complains that some even of the more cultured "think the Sun is the god of the Christians, because it is known that we pray toward the east and make a festivity on the day of the Sun. Do you do less? Do not most of you, in affectation of worshiping the heavenly bodies, at times move your lips toward the sunrising? You certainly are the ones who also received the Sun into the register of the seven days, and from among the days preferred it, on which day you leave off the bath, or you may defer it until the evening, or you may devote it [the day] to idleness and eating." Ad Nationes, book I, chap. 13.https://www.ministrymagazine.org/archive/1950/05/pagan-sunday-observance

And even more..
"Though Sol Invictus (meaning ‘The unconquered Sun’) was indeed a pagan Roman God, and had been featured on Roman coins, Constantine coopted this pagan heritage along with the Judeo-Christian following of the 10 Commandments by granting a day to honor God and rest for man. As the Roman Empire gradually converted to Christianity, Sunday became the natural day for the Sabbath and rest since Romans were already accustomed to Sunday as their day off." March 7, 321: How Sunday Became the Christian Day of Rest - History and Headlines

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hmm...The Catholic Encyclopedia states: “…many of the emperors yielded to the delusion that they could unite all their subjects in the adoration of the one sun-god who combined in himself the Father-God of the Christians and the much-worshipped Mithras; thus the empire could be founded anew on unity of religion. Even Constantine, as will be shown farther on, for a time cherished this mistaken belief…. Many other actions of his also have the appearance of half-measures, as if he-himself had wavered and had always held in reality to some form of syncretistic religion…”

And none of that has anything to do with what day the earliest Christians gathered on. Even in the language used it can be seen. Why would they invent the term "Lord's Day" if they could simply have said "Sabbath". And regardless of modern language the entire history of the Church testifies that the Christian day of worship has always been Sunday.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Your earlier claim does not equal the statement wikipedia made. Here is your claim.

The "ordinary and innocent food" is a story in itself. When Constantine legalized Christianity he ordered that all businesses be closed on Sunday to allow Christians to worship in their accustomed manner.

Here is what wikipedia's statement said.

On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed.

A pagan is obviously going to call the day of the sun venerable so I fail to see to see any point to what you said..

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟117,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
So the rotation speed of the earth has changed twice? Once between creation and Paul's day and once since than as we now have a 24 hour day once again.

It is better to conform your views to the scripture than to try to force the scripture to conform to your views. There are twelve hours in a full civil calendar day, and twelve hours in a night, which is typically divided into four watches. We are to be children of the day but not of the night because darkness also stands metaphorically for evil. Moreover, since the sacred calendar day is seven hours in a day the opening creation account expounds the sacred calendar day, and that is why there are no nights mentioned between the days of creation, for a yom may also be an hour.

We know from the scripture that one day, (yom), with the LORD is as a thousand years, and a thousand years are as one day, (yom). We also have a year for a day, (yom), as the breach of promise when the spies went to spy out the land for forty days, (yom), and the evil report they brought upon the land resulted in forty years in the wilderness, a year for a day, (yom). We also have a day for a year in the Prophet Ezekiel wherein he is told to lay on his sides, a certain amount of days for the iniquity of the house Yisrael on his left side, and a certain amount of days for the iniquity of the house of Yhudah on his right side, each number being a day, (yom), for a year.

If therefore a yom can a thousand years, and a yom can be a year, and a yom can be a day, then surely a yom can also be an hour: for Elohim calls the Light, Yom, and therefore Yom is Light, (Genesis 1:5). Therefore, whenever yom is used for an increment of time, it can be any increment of time, and it is only the context which tells you which increment of time is the best fit for the correct understanding of the passage or statement. Therefore logos-reasoning is required: and it doesn't matter whether your favorite lexicon includes an hour in its definition of a yom, (because none of them do, as far as I know, but the scripture does teach it).

There is a perfect reason why you do not read twenty-four hours in the following:

John 11:9-10 KJV
9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

And that is because the (civil calendar) day is twelve hours, not twenty-four hours, according to Biblical reckoning. Twenty-four hours in a day is Roman time reckoning, and although they say, "When in Rome", (meaning do as the Romans), the scripture is not set in the context of Rome or Europe. It is much better therefore to set aside Roman time reckoning and learn Biblical time reckoning if indeed you truly wish to understand. But to each his or her own I suppose.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Your earlier claim does not equal the statement wikipedia made. Here is your claim.

Jere is what wikipedia's statement said.

A pagan is obviously going to call the day of the sun venerable so I fail to see to see any point to what you said..

The point is that Christians have always gathered on Sunday. And there is no verbiage, fanciful imagination, wannabe prophets or anything else that changes that.

Now, if you can show me in Church history where someone arbitrarily changed the day of worship or arbitrarily decided to call the Sabbath the Lord's Day I am more than glad to listen to you. Aside from that all the claims of "the Church is wrong" I have to pile into all the countless thousands of other contradictory accusations people have come up with over the years.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And none of that has anything to do with what day the earliest Christians gathered on. Even in the language used it can be seen. Why would they invent the term "Lord's Day" if they could simply have said "Sabbath". And regardless of modern language the entire history of the Church testifies that the Christian day of worship has always been Sunday.
One can only make this case outside of scripture, not though God's Holy Word. Please quote one scripture that say the first day is My (i.e. the Lord's) holy day or is one of God's commandments, or the Sabbath was transferred to the first day. It's not there, but we are warned the Sabbath would be changed, not by God Dan 7:25 which is exactly what happened. Our only safeguard to follow God is following His holy Word, Psa 119:105 Isa 8:20 The devil has made a counterfeit of everything God made, and the Sabbath points us back to Creation Exo 20:8-11 Genesis 2:1-3 the God of the Creation, the One True God and the God of the Universe, Sunday keeping is a tradition of man leading us to break one of God's holy commandments Mat 15:3-9

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One can only make this case outside of scripture, not though God's Holy Word. Please quote one scripture that say the first day is My (i.e. the Lord's) holy day or is one of God's commandments, or the Sabbath was transferred to the first day. It's not there, but we are warned the Sabbath would be changed, not by God Dan 7:25 which is exactly what happened. Our only safeguard to follow God is following His holy Word, Psa 119:105 Isa 8:20 The devil has made a counterfeit of everything God made, and the Sabbath points us back to Creation Exo 20:8-11 Genesis 2:1-3 the God of the Creation, the One True God and the God of the Universe, Sunday keeping is a tradition of man leading us to break one of God's holy commandments Mat 15:3-9

Why don't you explain to us just where the entirety of Christianity went wrong.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus tells us...

Matthew 15:3 He answered and said to them,Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father [a]or mother.Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.

9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”

Sin is the transgression of God's law 1 John 3:4 Romans 7:7 sin is what separated man from God Isaiah 59:2 and our salvation is from sin, not in sin Mat 1:21. Jesus gives us another option; through His blood we can confess of our sins which means a change in heart and a change in direction and He can cleanse us from all unrighteousness 1 John 1:9 but if we continue to bury and not forsake our sins Prov 28:13 He can't show us grace or mercy Heb 10:26

Where most went wrong is there started following man over following God. Which is why scripture tells us there is only a remnant left who keep God's commandments Rev 12:17 KJV God's version, His righteousness Psa 119:172, His Truth Psa 119:151, not the edited version of it. we are warned about. Following God's Holy Word will lead us to safety Psa 119:105 Rev 22:14 outside, danger. Isa 8:20 Romans 6:16 Rev 22:15

Reactions: HIM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟388,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jesus tells us...

Matthew 15:3 He answered and said to them,Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? 4 For God commanded, saying, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 5 But you say, ‘Whoever says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God”— 6 then he need not honor his father [a]or mother.Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. 7 Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

Sin is the transgression of God's law 1 John 3:4 Romans 7:7 sin is what separated man from God Isaiah 59:2 and our salvation is from sin, not in sin Mat 1:21. Jesus gives us another option; through His blood we can confess of our sins which means a change in heart and a change in direction and He can cleanse us from all unrighteousness 1 John 1:9 but if we continue to bury and not forsake our sins Prov 28:13 He can't show us grace or mercy Heb 10:26

Where most went wrong is there started following man over following God. Which is why scripture tells us there is only a remnant left who keep God's commandments Rev 12:17 KJV God's version, His righteousness Psa 119:172, His Truth Psa 119:151, not the edited version of it. we are warned about. Following God's Holy Word will lead us to safety Psa 119:105 Rev 22:14 outside, danger. Isa 8:20 Romans 6:16 Rev 22:15

The majority not the entirety. The mystery of iniquity had already started this work in Paul's time. (2Thes 2:7) As it did in the time of Moses, in so much the majority which was led by the scholars and priesthood were wrong when Jesus came, so is it now.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesus tells us...

I have to ask you. Who is the remnant? Where have they been for two thousand years? How did you meet them?

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The majority not the entirety. The mystery of iniquity had already started this work in Paul's time. (2Thes 2:7) As it did in the time of Moses, in so much the majority which was led by the scholars and priesthood were wrong when Jesus came, so is it now.

You say "so it is now". How long has that been going on? When did the Church fall away?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have to ask you. Who is the remnant? Where have they been for two thousand years? How did you meet them?
According to scripture the remnant are those who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ (His Word)

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

God wants true worship John 4:23-24 - Jesus defined false worship which is obeying our rules over the commandments of God quoting directly from the Ten, so true worship is to obey God's commandments just the He wrote and spoke them Exo 32:16 Exo 31:18 as no one is above Him

Scripture shows us what a saved person looks like....(true worship)

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Which reconciles us back to God
Rev 22:14 14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

God's people were never the majority and nowhere in scripture does it tell us to follow the majority, Mat 7:13-14 The path is narrow and the Word is our light to our path back to God Psa 119:105

Last edited:
Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟117,130.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
One can only make this case outside of scripture, not though God's Holy Word. Please quote one scripture that say the first day is My (i.e. the Lord's) holy day or is one of God's commandments, or the Sabbath was transferred to the first day. It's not there, but we are warned the Sabbath would be changed, not by God Dan 7:25 which is exactly what happened.

Due to much recent interaction with SDA's on this board I have been looking into the writings and teachings of Ellen G. White. One of the first things I found was that she took the phrase evening morning from Daniel 8:14 and converted that phrase it into days, (to put it nicely), while admitting that the text reads evening morning and says nothing about days, or yom, or yamim, and then used the year for a day principle to turn the two-thousand three hundred evening morning into two-thousand three hundred years ending in 1844, (curiously, a date in her own lifetime when she would have been about the age of seventeen).

(The image files and the section titled "When The 2,300 Days Begin And End" are from a 1937 Tract which may be found linked at the bottom of the above webpage link).

In this one thing alone she took a specific phrase that specifically references the opening creation account, and does not mention the word yom or any form thereof, and she turned it into days and then into years. Moreover, apparently, she either had a visitation or visitations from an angel because I have seen another SDA here post an account from her writings making that claim.

The devil has made a counterfeit of everything God made, and the Sabbath points us back to Creation Exo 20:8-11 Genesis 2:1-3 the God of the Creation, the One True God and the God of the Universe

Daniel 8:14 points directly back to the opening creation account by the phrase evening morning and therefore speaks of the sacred calendar day which is seven yamim-hours in a yom day. This is the foundational level understanding while every greater increment of time expands from the foundational understanding of a yom as an hour. The weekly Shabbat is based on the daily Shabbat: for the daily Shabbat hour is the primary meaning from the foundation of the world.

Luke 5:17a T/R
17 και εγενετο εν μια των ημερων

Luke 6:1a T/R
1 εγενετο δε εν σαββατω δευτεροπρωτω

Luke 6:6a T/R
6 εγενετο δε και εν ετερω σαββατω

There is Shabbat hour in every day of every year, uninterrupted from the foundation of the world, and even if the length of the solar tropical year was to change, (and it has, at least a little), the Shabbat hour of the sacred calendar day would still be the seventh yom-hour of the sacred calendar day for as long as the earth and world exist.

Ellen G. White changed that and also did not see that the cleansing of the temple is fulfilled in the Gospel accounts by the Meshiah, and the time is 329 days counting only the seven hours in a day according to the sacred calendar day. The hours of the crucifixion are also the six hours of the opening creation account without the Shabbat hour, (for in it he rested, after the saying, "It is finished").

Here is part of, (but not all of), what is meant by "It is finished" ~

Genesis 2:3 LXX (Brenton Translation)
3 And God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it he ceased from all his works which God began to do.

The underlined portion in the above statement is actually a more correct way to understand the Hebrew text but not many translators render it that way. Here are several translations from the Hebrew that are close enough to get the point across:

Genesis 2:3 YLT (Young's Literal)
3 And God blesseth the seventh day, and sanctifieth it, for in it He hath ceased from all His work which God had prepared for making.

Genesis 2:3 HRB2012
3 And Elohim blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because He rested from all His work on it, which Elohim had created to make.

.......which Elohim (cut-down) created to be done.......

Why is this important? because although the works were finished from the foundation of the world, (Hebrews 4:3), still yet the Master says the following:

John 4:34 KJV
34 Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
According to scripture the remnant are those who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ (His Word)

Rev 12:17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

God wants true worship John 4:23-24 - Jesus defined false worship which is obeying our rules over the commandments of God quoting directly from the Ten, so true worship is to obey God's commandments just the He wrote and spoke them Exo 32:16 Exo 31:18 as no one is above Him

Scripture shows us what a saved person looks like....(true worship)

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Which reconciles us back to God
Rev 22:14 14 Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

God's people were never the majority and nowhere in scripture does it tell us to follow the majority, Mat 7:13-14 The path is narrow and the Word is our light to our path back to God Psa 119:105

You left out the part about where these people have been for all this time and how you met them.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You say "so it is now". How long has that been going on? When did the Church fall away?
It started in Paul's day. That's when when paganism infiltrated the church. It has always been the religious leaders who ;ed the common man astray. The kings of Israel led the nation of Israel into paganism as did the Kings of Judah. The Pharisees led the Jews of Christ's day to reject Him. The leaders of the German Lutheran church into rejecting God by declaring God is dead before WW2. Just so the leaders of the Catholic church led the average Catholic into rejecting God's law. You are following those same leaders as the Catholics say they changed the Sabbath from to Sunday because of their traditions. So when you worship on Sunday you are following their traditions, not God's word.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟329,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It started in Paul's day. That's when when paganism infiltrated the church. It has always been the religious leaders who ;ed the common man astray. The kings of Israel led the nation of Israel into paganism as did the Kings of Judah. The Pharisees led the Jews of Christ's day to reject Him. The leaders of the German Lutheran church into rejecting God by declaring God is dead before WW2. Just so the leaders of the Catholic church led the average Catholic into rejecting God's law. You are following those same leaders as the Catholics say they changed the Sabbath from to Sunday because of their traditions. So when you worship on Sunday you are following their traditions, not God's word.

Well for one I'm not Catholic. And just so you know, there are certain earmarks of people who talk about these things that give away the fact that they live in a bubble. I don't mean this by way of insult, but I can tell you are one of those who do live in a theological bubble. The Mormons, the SDAs, and several other groups that came out of the mass hysteria of upstate New York in the early 1800s are such groups. They see everything through the lens of Protestantism vs. Catholicism. They see things that way because that is the only thing they know. They were, and are, wholly ignorant of the Eastern Churches. For example, the Indian Orthodox Church. The Indian Church was never influenced by the Roman Church yet worships on Sunday. They worship on Sunday -the Lord's Day- because that is what they were taught by Saint Thomas when he founded the Church in the first century.

Now, what makes you so sure you are not the one being led astray by your religious leaders? When Jesus Christ founded the Orthodox Church he said "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it". And every decision made by the Church has been made with the full authority of Jesus Christ. He said to his Apostles:

Mat 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

If the Roman Church wants to take credit for making Sunday the Sabbath over Saturday then so be it. I say it was done by the Church long before -if it ever actually was done at all. Regardless of all of that, the Christian day of worship is Sunday, the Lord's Day. It always has been.

• Agree
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟494,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You left out the part about where these people have been for all this time and how you met them.
God's people have always been a remnant throughout the centuries. You keep wanting to go outside the bible to find your answers, but the answers are inside God's Word- the steps on how to become one of God's remnant people and what that looks like Rev 12:17 Rev 22:14 Rev 22:14. Follow God's Word- He will not lead us astray, but the teachings of man that leads us to break the commandments of God that leads us to sin will Mat 15:3-9 Romans 7:7

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟101,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well for one I'm not Catholic. And just so you know, there are certain earmarks of people who talk about these things that give away the fact that they live in a bubble. I don't mean this by way of insult, but I can tell you are one of those who do live in a theological bubble. The Mormons, the SDAs, and several other groups that came out of the mass hysteria of upstate New York in the early 1800s are such groups. They see everything through the lens of Protestantism vs. Catholicism. They see things that way because that is the only thing they know. They were, and are, wholly ignorant of the Eastern Churches. For example, the Indian Orthodox Church. The Indian Church was never influenced by the Roman Church yet worships on Sunday. They worship on Sunday -the Lord's Day- because that is what they were taught by Saint Thomas when he founded the Church in the first century.

Now, what makes you so sure you are not the one being led astray by your religious leaders? When Jesus Christ founded the Orthodox Church he said "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it". And every decision made by the Church has been made with the full authority of Jesus Christ. He said to his Apostles:

Mat 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

If the Roman Church wants to take credit for making Sunday the Sabbath over Saturday then so be it. I say it was done by the Church long before -if it ever actually was done at all. Regardless of all of that, the Christian day of worship is Sunday, the Lord's Day. It always has been.
Do to you the fact that Jesus said He was the Lord of the Sabbath is meaningless?

Matthew 17: 8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
9 And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue:
10 ¶And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
13 Then saith he to the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it forth; and it was restored whole, like as the other.
14 ¶Then the Pharisees went out, and held a council against him, how they might destroy him.

Upvote 0