Church clothes?

D

dnilsen07

What do you think about what people should wear to church? I grew up in a small rural Lutheran church that my family has attended for four generations. Every week we dressed for church, and until i was sixteen, I had to wear a skirt or dress to church. Finally I was able to convince my parents that dress slacks were still respectful and dressy enough to wear to church. Now that I'm 25 and on my own, I still find myself dressing up for church, and it bothers me a bit when someone comes to church in sweatpants or ripped jeans.

I was raised to that God will accept you for who you are, but the reason we dress up for church is out of respect for God, for the church, and for the other members of the church. Does anyone else have similar feelings or was raised in the same way?

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,279,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been on both sides of the fence. While growing up we always wore our Sunday's best but now I am more casual. More like casual Friday attire. Sometimes I might wear shorts. I've seen it where churches had a blend of both. To each their own. To me I like a place were everyone felt like they belonged. It's nice when a homeless person can come in and not feel like they stick out like a sore thumb.

Upvote 0

MetalheadKara

Jun 7, 2013
✟7,638.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I actually just had this discussion in another thread.

It is an ELCA church. Thank you for your suggestions, this is actually something I've thought long and hard about. In the end, dressing formally for church felt "false" to me, if that makes sense. It's hard to explain.

As for showing Christ the proper respect, I considered that, too. But to me, formal dress seems to be for the benefit of other people. We dress formally at certain occasions because it's sort of an unwritten social rule. The way I see it, we are all "naked" to Christ in a way. He knows our hearts and minds. I believe I show Him the utmost respect in church regardless of what I'm wearing.

Upvote 0

redphantom

Aug 16, 2012
✟15,830.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I just had this conversation with some of my Sunday school kids. One commented to another that his t-shirt wasn't church appropriate. (It was Angry Birds...no negative or foul content) Another teacher and I pointed out that it's better to come dressed as a slob (not the term we used then) then to stay away and dress up. We never know what situation may be cause a person to wear those clothes we don't approve of. We are told not to judge and this I think is one of those times we should head it. Wear what you want and let others wear what they want (or need) to wear.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
redphantom said:
I just had this conversation with some of my Sunday school kids. One commented to another that his t-shirt wasn't church appropriate. (It was Angry Birds...no negative or foul content) Another teacher and I pointed out that it's better to come dressed as a slob (not the term we used then) then to stay away and dress up. We never know what situation may be cause a person to wear those clothes we don't approve of. We are told not to judge and this I think is one of those times we should head it. Wear what you want and let others wear what they want (or need) to wear.

Very good explanation for the kids. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been attending the church of my youth periodically while taking care of some estate matters. Clothing was sort of a big deal 40 years ago, so I was expecting something similar... and had an interesting surprise.

Back when, the acolytes and even communion assistants wore robes. Many parishoners dressed up quite a bit, albeit a few went business casual. Such has changed. In one of the first services I was at, one of the young communion assistants had ripped out jeans and a rock concert tshirt. Initially, I found such to be on the disturbing side, but then after reflecting a bit, it was like this egads, how wrong could we have been back when. Culture / tribalism had hijacked the Gospel in the name of good order and so called reverence, when in reality it was anything but.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ladyches

Sep 12, 2013
PA
✟7,737.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think the tradition of dressing up for church comes out of the days (long ago) where men and women did way more manual labor, whether in or out of the home (think homesteaders). Wardrobes pretty much consisted of work clothes, with one outfit - the "Sunday best" - for church.

I think it's important to dress modestly, so as not to be a distraction, but I really don't think God cares if we're dressed to the 9's or wearing jeans. As one person mentioned, it's great if a homeless person steps through the doors and doesn't immediately feel like he or she is out of place because of how they're dressed.

I do, however, like it when people dress for a function such as a funeral or wedding, more out of respect for the other guests and just to observe the tradition.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I'm a very casual person, and barely even own any dress clothes, which mostly only come out of the closet for weddings and funerals.

In general, I think you should just dress as you prefer, but it should be clean and neat, and not necessarily frumpy but not too sexy either, so as not to be too distracting. And if I'm visiting a church that's more formal or more conservative than I'm used to, I'll try to adapt a little, again so as not to be a distraction.

Upvote 0

doulos_tou_kuriou

Located at the intersection of Forde and Giertz
Apr 26, 2006
MinneSO-TA. That's how they say it here, right?
✟17,424.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I say be respectful in your dress and also not distracting in it. As a man for example I will not lie, it is very bothersome when women wear revealing clothes in how it draws my attention, particularly in ways I wish not be drawn (especially on Sunday morning). But in general I try not to be judgemental beyond that, my bigger hope is that people simply have an awareness of what they are wearing and why. In a previous church one teen would show up in jeans, a hoodie, and a hat. Which to an eye like mine would seem disrespectful or not very nice at all. But once you heard him tell with pride of the clothes he wore for church and what brand they each were I one day learned these were his favorite and in his view best clothes. He was dressing up for church! And the shame was mine. Some people I know dress down specifically because they dress up for work, it is a mark of the difference from their week and normal wear. So I have come to simply hoping people are intentional and have a reason for what they wear.

For myself. I'm usually in a suit or at least a blazer. I dress up. That's how I've been for many a years. As long as I've had suits I've worn suits to church.

Upvote 0

Emmyc

Jan 31, 2014
Roseburg
✟15,328.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In my church there is no formal dress code. Some people wear suits and ties or pearls and dresses, others wear shorts and tank tops, or blue jeans and a t-shirt. Many dress like “work casual”. I tend to wear t shirts and shorts/jeans depending on the weather, and sneakers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

meyerjd

Feb 15, 2017
Iowa
✟33,243.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In the Lutheran Church I grew up in, people generally dressed up for church especially the services held on Sunday morning. It was a little more casual for the Saturday evening service, but still didn't see very many in jeans. I remember when I took a job in a small town much like the one I grew up in, I wore a suit to church the first time I went to church and was the only person there in one. Its very casual, mostly jeans worn by all. For probably the first nine years, I would go no more causal than cotton slacks and a polo shirt. I'm to the point now where I wear jeans pretty much every Sunday. The people in town have plenty of other chances to see me dressed up, as I work for the local funeral home.

Upvote 0