• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Christian conservative mother of gay teen

Upside down

Aug 3, 2016
Idaho
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Hi I am a Christian conservative mother of a Gay teen. He came out of the closet a year ago this is been the hardest year of my life. I am devastated. I have continually held him up in prayer while he continually goes down a path that I don't understand. Even to the point that I'm not sure he believes in God anymore. I have prayed prayed and prayed. I'm scared, I'm disappointed, I cry a lot.

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi I am a Christian conservative mother of a Gay teen. He came out of the closet a year ago this is been the hardest year of my life. I am devastated. I have continually held him up in prayer while he continually goes down a path that I don't understand. Even to the point that I'm not sure he believes in God anymore. I have prayed prayed and prayed. I'm scared, I'm disappointed, I cry a lot.

Hi, nice to meet you.

I am sorry for your pain, but your son is still your son. He is the same baby you held in your arms, grown into a fine young man. You cannot change the colour of his eyes, or his height, or his career choices to date. And all the evidence shows you also cannot change his orientation. You might try to influence what he does as a result, but that influence may not achieve what you would want it to.

In a sense you are grieving for the son you thought you had, but do not have, and that is natural, particularly when you have such strong beliefs about this, but your son is not gone. What has gone was not real, it was a fantasy; a dream. Your son remains and is probably as scared and disappointed as you are. Your son needs you to help him to find his way forward, and that is not through denial of reality.

Your son is choosing his own path. The question to you is, do you want him to do that with God, or without him? With his mother or without her? Do you think that God will now stop loving your son? I can assure you he won't; not a bit of it. But will you?

God be with you.

1 Corinthians 13:13

Upvote 0

Upside down

Aug 3, 2016
Idaho
✟7,612.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I love my son tremendously, but the Bible says that homosexuality is an abomination to God. What I told my son is that I had to stand on my Christian beliefs but that I loved him and always would do no matter what. I don't treat him badly I'm not even sure if I treat him differently. You're right I am grieving for the son that I thought I had. I have so many mixed emotions. As far as going with him in the future he doesn't allow me to my son is somewhat of a narcissist and very rebellious even a little controlling and abusive I am a disabled person with not a whole lot of life left

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I love my son tremendously, but the Bible says that homosexuality is an abomination to God. What I told my son is that I had to stand on my Christian beliefs but that I loved him and always would do no matter what. I don't treat him badly I'm not even sure if I treat him differently. You're right I am grieving for the son that I thought I had. I have so many mixed emotions. As far as going with him in the future he doesn't allow me to my son is somewhat of a narcissist and very rebellious even a little controlling and abusive I am a disabled person with not a whole lot of life left

<Staff Edit>
I am sorry you struggle yourself; all the more reason to find a way to reconcile with your son, or at the very least to tell him that the door is open from your side. Then it is up to him to choose what to do.

Upvote 0

Hannah's Prayer

Sep 12, 2016
New Zealand
✟7,613.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Hi. I know I'm a bit late, but I've just seen your post and I wanted to reply. I hope you see my post.
I am so sorry for what is clearly a very difficult and sad situation for you. I can totally understand that you feel devastated and need help and support. Are you involved with a church at all? Do you have support of family and friends?

I know a couple who are in the same situation with their son. I don't think they would mind me sharing with you what they have said to me in an email about it. I hope it might help a little. They said that "Our sorrow was and still is immense. Our prayer life has grown in proportion to our sorrow. I think you would find that easy to believe. I think my favorite verse to pray is Ezekiel 36:26. "I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh". That is our fervent prayer for our son. The really hard part is waiting on God to work in his heart. But we trust as Isaiah 64:4 says "Since ancient times no one has heard, no ear has perceived, no eye has seen any God besides you, who acts on behalf of those who wait for him". That is why we wait on Him.

They found this website helpful https://www.joedallas.com/ and also a book by Joe Dallas called "When Homosexuality Hits Home: What To Do When A Loved One Says, "I'm Gay". They said this book helped them a lot.

Don't give up praying Hon. That is the best thing you can do. God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 61 "Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer. From the ends of the earth I call to you, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I".

I wish there was more that I could say to help, but I am more than happy to be a caring "listening ear" if you need to talk to someone.
May our Loving Heavenly Father comfort you with all comfort as you trust in Him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0