Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The documentary series Mass of the Ages recently released the third part of their trilogy: Episode III

Has anyone else watched it? I thought they did a pretty good job of showing the initial allowance of the TLM and its restriction under Pope Francis, although they were much lighter on the history in general than the first two episodes. It was clear that they wanted to focus on the global appeal of the Latin Mass today.

I also thought it was interesting how many big names they were able to interview: Cdl. Athanasius Schneider, Bishop Joseph Strickland, Trent Horn, Scott Hahn, Patrick Madrid, and I'm probably forgetting a few others.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟438,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The documentary series Mass of the Ages recently released the third part of their trilogy: Episode III

Has anyone else watched it? I thought they did a pretty good job of showing the initial allowance of the TLM and its restriction under Pope Francis, although they were much lighter on the history in general than the first two episodes. It was clear that they wanted to focus on the global appeal of the Latin Mass today.

I also thought it was interesting how many big names they were able to interview: Cdl. Athanasius Schneider, Bishop Joseph Strickland, Trent Horn, Scott Hahn, Patrick Madrid, and I'm probably forgetting a few others.
Wow I never heard a thing about a third part, the first two parts had a lot of promotion and publicity in the lead up to their release. I wonder why the third part wasn't? Weren't the producers kind embroiled in some controversy some time over the past year? I could be wrong.

At any rate, thanks for sharing it. I'll watch it now!

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟27,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow I never heard a thing about a third part, the first two parts had a lot of promotion and publicity in the lead up to their release. I wonder why the third part wasn't? Weren't the producers kind embroiled in some controversy some time over the past year? I could be wrong.

At any rate, thanks for sharing it. I'll watch it now!
I was on their email list, so that was how I saw the announcements. I only found the series in the first place through Reddit when I was still on there, so I'm not sure what other promotion they were doing for the earlier films.

The only controversy I'm aware of is that one of the priests they interviewed in the first film was later convicted of something to do with inappropriate content involving children, which the Mass of the Ages director addressed and if I remember correctly they edited episode 1 to remove that priest's interview. The only other possible controversy would be that one of their episodes was removed temporarily because someone claimed copyright infringement for the film's use of the My Little Pony theme song for a few seconds in a segment showing liturgical abuses, one of which was a mass where the tune of the theme song was being used as music.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I think a lot of people should watch this entire series. It would enhance respect for the old rite and maybe, just maybe, we could get on track with something that the council asked for rather than what we got.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟438,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think a lot of people should watch this entire series. It would enhance respect for the old rite and maybe, just maybe, we could get on track with something that the council asked for rather than what we got.
I wasn't able to get very far yesterday since I was busy with some other things, but man the opening to the third film is gut wrenching to me.

The depiction of so many churches being used for secular purposes, like that French chapel used as a hotel. That employee couldn't even tell the filmmakers what the stained glass windows were depicting. Then you have that Church that was converted into a bar, and that patron who described a couple who came there for their 50th anniversary because they had been married in that church and they described it as "way better than it was." Then you have the news montage of all the church's being destroyed by accident or design all over the world: France, India, Canada, the US, etc. It all nearly made me nauseous and that was just the first five minutes or so.

I don't really consider myself a trad anymore in the everyday sense of the word. I realized after a lot of reflection that the component of Mass that grips me the most and transports me to heaven isn't the form of the Mass but the music. That's just how God wired me I suppose, to be elevated by sacred music. Because I can go to a novus ordo with a well-trained choir director leading them in Palestrina and Tallis and feel more transported than if I were in a TLM with poor or no music/chant.

That being said, that doesn't mean I don't care about what's happened to the TLM post-Traditionis Custodes. I still think it's a disgrace to dispense with one of the greatest aspects of Catholicism and I wish it was given equal status to the novus ordo rather than taken out back behind the woodshed. Maybe that will be reversed in the future.

But I've really become... I guess exhausted would be the word, by rad trads. By their insistence on making sweeping proclamations about what's true, valid, and right; about who's "in" and who's "out". There's this incessant need in that camp to draw up borders like we're some British officials after WWII carving up Asia on a map. It feels no different than an independent fundamentalist baptist like Fred Phelps declaring everyone outside their little compound is going to burn. And I can't shake the impression that so much of that culture is just a big LARP with the tweed jackets, long beards and corncob pipes.

TL;DR - I like the Latin Mass and wish it was at least restored to an equal position as the N.O., but I also don't necessarily feel a need to attend one and rather just wish that more N.O.'s focused on doing sacred music really well (though I acknowledge not everyone is like me and responds to music the same way).

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I wasn't able to get very far yesterday since I was busy with some other things, but man the opening to the third film is gut wrenching to me.
The liturgical changes were gut wrenching for a lot of people. Seeing those burnt churches is a similar thing.
The depiction of so many churches being used for secular purposes, like that French chapel used as a hotel. That employee couldn't even tell the filmmakers what the stained glass windows were depicting. Then you have that Church that was converted into a bar, and that patron who described a couple who came there for their 50th anniversary because they had been married in that church and they described it as "way better than it was." Then you have the news montage of all the church's being destroyed by accident or design all over the world: France, India, Canada, the US, etc. It all nearly made me nauseous and that was just the first five minutes or so.
Yup.
I don't really consider myself a trad anymore in the everyday sense of the word. I realized after a lot of reflection that the component of Mass that grips me the most and transports me to heaven isn't the form of the Mass but the music. That's just how God wired me I suppose, to be elevated by sacred music. Because I can go to a novus ordo with a well-trained choir director leading them in Palestrina and Tallis and feel more transported than if I were in a TLM with poor or no music/chant.
You would like St. Agnes in St. Paul MN. They never discontinued the Latin mass even though it was the Latin mass novus ordo. They never turned the altar around. They never remuddled the altar. But musically they had the St. Paul Catholic Chorale there and the music has never been less than extraordinary.

My friend Fr. Ubel has just been appointed pastor there after a twelve year term at the cathedral, where music also excelled. I look forward to visiting on a return trip this fall.

What St. Agnes did under Msgr Schuler was to try to implement Vatican II instead of the 'spirit of Vatican II'. And it worked. They did have to adopt the post Vatican II calendar revisions and readings revisions unfortunately. But they managed to do 'reverent' all along the way. And a chunk of that was superlative music.
That being said, that doesn't mean I don't care about what's happened to the TLM post-Traditionis Custodes. I still think it's a disgrace to dispense with one of the greatest aspects of Catholicism and I wish it was given equal status to the novus ordo rather than taken out back behind the woodshed. Maybe that will be reversed in the future.
I trust it will be reversed. I call TC the jailing of the tradition. A 'custodes' is a 'custodian' but it can also be a 'jailkeeper'.
But I've really become... I guess exhausted would be the word, by rad trads. By their insistence on making sweeping proclamations about what's true, valid, and right; about who's "in" and who's "out". There's this incessant need in that camp to draw up borders like we're some British officials after WWII carving up Asia on a map. It feels no different than an independent fundamentalist baptist like Fred Phelps declaring everyone outside their little compound is going to burn. And I can't shake the impression that so much of that culture is just a big LARP with the tweed jackets, long beards and corncob pipes.
Well, sort of. There is the desire, often expressed by Fr. Z, a seminary classmate of Fr. Ubel by the way, to 'unite the clans'. To concentrate on being reverent and not divisive. Then there are folks like Taylor Marshall that are fissiparous in the extreme.
TL;DR - I like the Latin Mass and wish it was at least restored to an equal position as the N.O., but I also don't necessarily feel a need to attend one and rather just wish that more N.O.'s focused on doing sacred music really well (though I acknowledge not everyone is like me and responds to music the same way).
I would like to see better music all around. I would also like to see the prayers at mass be high quality translations of the TLM prayers rather than the lame excuses that are current. And I would like to see the liturgical calendar tweaked back towards the pre-1962 version, in some cases the pre 1955 version. We lost a lot with the novus ordo. I want some of it back. I like Latin because I studied it for three years in high school but I would rather have English in higher quality. And music!

Definitely music. My current parish is getting better with that, and we now have a new music director. More Agnus Dei, more Sanctus, and less Dan Schutte music, no Kumbaya. My old parish back in Minnesota had a GREAT music director, Jayne Windnagel (google that name to find a link to some of the music she has done - you will be in for a treat).

Upvote 0

jas3

Jan 21, 2023
Southeast
✟27,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, sort of. There is the desire, often expressed by Fr. Z, a seminary classmate of Fr. Ubel by the way, to 'unite the clans'. To concentrate on being reverent and not divisive. Then there are folks like Taylor Marshall that are fissiparous in the extreme.
True, and I think a major goal of the video was to show the positive, unifying aspect of traditionalism that may be unfamiliar to people whose main exposure to it has been divisive internet personalities or sneering articles from America Magazine (which compared the first episode to Nazi propaganda), or even those whose exposure to it has been colored by their local TLM community, which may not be representative of traditionalism more broadly. That's not to say that there aren't "bad eggs" among traditionalists, even ones with large followings on Youtube, but the FSSP priest in the video makes the point that you can also find those just as readily among progressives.

Upvote 0