The Wild West
✟486,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
So I asked ChatGPT to write a sample anaphora based on Syriac liturgical patterns, which tend to be loose ans highly flexible, and then I had the output formatted into traditional Ecclesiastical English. The results are interesting, although the Sursum Corda looks weird (but then again, in the Syriac liturgies occasionally one encounters unexpected paraphrasing, which this was). Likewise the lack of the Words of Institution is not uncommon wirh Syriac liturgies, as the Syriac Orthodox liturgies often paraphrase them and they are not included in a discrete form in the oldest extant Syriac anaphora, that of Saints Addai and Mari, which is estimated to be around the age of the oldest liturgy still in use, and indeed the oldest complete liturgy (since the Communion Prayer in the Didache is extremely short and feels like a suggestion or outline), the Divine Liturgy of St. Mark, also known as the Divine Liturgy of St. Cyril by the Coptic Orthodox and Syriac Orthodox.

The main mistake it made was to put the preface for the Sanctus in front of the Lord’s Prayer, which is the kind of mistake ChatGPT tends to make, but still, that is an easy fix, and given that all of this was generated using just two short prompt commands each just a few words in length, I am delighted.

That being said if someone on starts debating us in a verbose and repetitive manner, I will increasingly suspect they are using ChatGPT or another Large Language Model. The copy-pasta trolls are bad enough; debating with HAL-9000 by proxy is a dreadful thought, but increasingly I try to avoid debates on ChristianForums and focus purely on more intellectually stimulating conversations such aa those Traditional Theology is known for.

In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Thou, the one true God.

Priest: O Lord, Almighty and Eternal God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, we lift up our hearts and voices to offer unto Thee this anaphora of worship and praise. O Creator of the universe, Thou art clothed in glory and majesty, surrounded by the heavenly hosts. With joy and reverence, we enter into the holy sanctuary to partake in the sacred mysteries of Thy divine presence.

People: Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of hosts. Heaven and earth are full of Thy glory. Hosanna in the highest. Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord. Hosanna in the highest.

Priest: We thank Thee, O Lord, for Thy abundant mercy and grace poured out upon us. Thou hast called us into communion with Thee, inviting us to share in Thy divine life. As we gather around this holy altar, we remember Thy saving acts throughout history and Thy ultimate sacrifice on the cross for the salvation of humanity.

People: Amen.

Priest: O Lord, accept our humble offering as we present to Thee this bread and wine. By the power of Thy Holy Spirit, sanctify and transform them into the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. As we partake in this sacred meal, grant us the forgiveness of sins, the healing of our souls and bodies, and the strengthening of our faith.

Priest: O Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us. O Bread of Life, grant us the nourishment of Thy eternal love. O Cup of Salvation, quench our spiritual thirst and fill us with Thy grace. May this divine union unite us with Thee and with one another as we strive to live in holiness and love.

Priest: Remember, O Lord, Thy holy Church, spread throughout the world. Strengthen and protect her from all evil. Grant peace and unity among her members. Bless our spiritual fathers, the bishops and priests, and guide them in shepherding Thy flock. Pour out Thy Spirit upon all believers, that we may be a living witness to Thy love and truth.

Priest: O Lord, we also remember the faithful departed who have gone before us, marked with the sign of faith. Grant them rest in Thy heavenly kingdom, where there is no pain or sorrow but everlasting joy in Thy presence. May we, together with them, attain the fullness of Thy eternal glory.

Priest: O Lord, accept our humble offering and prayers, as we join our voices with the angels and saints, proclaiming:

People: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name...

• Informative
Reactions: Petros2015

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,027,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Cool idea!

It is pretty amazing how verbose it can be based off a single sentence! Recently I asked for “give me a product description of Patriotic cards drawn by kids to support active military and veterans,” and it spit out seven long paragraphs for the description lol.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,975.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I asked ChatGPT to write a sample anaphora
Just as long as the results are never used in actual worship.
The very idea of using soulless deterninalistic models to compose prayers in place of seeking inspiration from the Holy Spirit give me serious pause.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
The very idea of using soulless deterninalistic models to compose prayers in place of seeking inspiration from the Holy Spirit give me serious pause.

Naturally, we want our worship to be inspired by the Holy Spirit, particularly when it comes to something like an anaphora. And ChatGPT and other large language models, which are not only soulless but literally incapable of consciousness, since all these programs do is function in, as you say, a deterministic model, albeit one so complex that unlike a conventional computer program, the neural network that drives an AI is effectively a black box, and indeed it is trained more than it is programmed, with extreme amounts of computing power and specialized hardware used for the training process, but ultimately, it is still a machine created by humans, and since it can only output text, it could not reproduce itself, although multiple Ai networks can be used to produce each other - this is still basically a glorified computer program, relying on elaborate software running on high end hardware. But essentially, it is only an infinitely more advanced abacus.

However, computers are a valid tool for purposes of liturgics; computer software can be used for example to automatically generate the texts for the services with the appropriate propers based on the Eastern Orthodox typikon, and avoid potentially embarassing mistakes from incorrect use of the typikon, which is known to happen, and consequently the use of software in this way could silence the liturgical reformists in the fringes of the Orthodox Church such as at New Skete Monastery who propose a radical simplification of the liturgy and its rubrics, and enable instead the liturgical maximalism historically cultivated by ROCOR to be expanded to other jurisdiction. Indeed, in different Orthodox churches, software like this is already in use, and there is also such software available in the Roman Rite (santamissa.org , which generates the propers for the Latin Mass and the Divine Office according to a variety of versions of the service books). There is a superb app for the Coptic Orthodox liturgy called CopticReader which contains the entire Coptic Rite liturgy and can generate entire services with the correct propers for the day, without having to pull out a copy of the Psalmody, or the Khiak Psalmody, or the Euchologion, the Lectionary, the Synaxarion, etc, and additional sources which historically were documented only in relatively rare and poorly translated books, for example, the Paschalion, the English, Coptic and Arabic parallel of which I have, but which is very poorly translated. All of this is of course done using conventional software.

The legitimate utility of AI is to simplify the writing and maintenance of such software, as AI can efficiently translate human guidance into machine code, but one still needs to be a programmer qualified in the language in question in order to be able to communicate with the AI, debug the software, and also make sure it functions correctly, so essentially the AI is used to make programming less tedious, and to do things like check software for security errors, and perform changes to the code that could not easily be done using the existing basic UNIX or GNU text processing tools at a Linux, BSD, Solaris, Cygwin, MacOS or other UNIX-like command line, programs in use since the 1970s like grep, awk, sed and so on, which are immeasurably useful for text processing. The AI can also help with the use of these tools, provided it has been programmed in their use, and it can also in the case of ChatGPT be integrated with them, as there exist multiple programs which access chatGPT from a UNIx-like command line, so one can talk to it via the standard input and standard output, allowing its incorporation in a typical pipeline of UNIX like utilities.

In like manner chatGPT can be used for language translations, where it is infinitely superior to existing software, but herein liturgical applications would still require someone competent in both the input language and the output language in order to ensure that the output translation is of sufficient fidelity. It can also be used to translate between ecclesiastical English, which ROCOR has wisely retained, and contemporary language which is demanded elsewhere, to my frustration; I myself never like prayers in contemporary language, and to a certain extent one could already use tools like grep and sed, or the functionally similiar but less powerful Find and Replace feature in Microsoft Word, or a macro expansion program for that matter, to take an incorrectly translated phrase such as the dreaded “And also with you” popularized by the dreadful 1969 English translation of the Novus Ordo Missae, which Pope Benedict XVI to his credit insisted be replaced by the more correct “And with your spirit” and in this way greatly improve works like the 1979 BCP, or the 2006 Lutheran Service Book, by applying the late Pope Benedict’s change to them automatically. However, using ChatGPT, a complete change can be made to the entire text, albeit not all at once, since chatGPT can only handle about five or six paragraphs of text at a time (this post would be approaching its limit). This is also extremely beneficial because it promotes for the conscientious use of the AI system in performing such a conversion, by providing a convenient window of time in which to double check the reformatted text’s outputs, which is necessary as it is likely to make mistakes, for example, it is not intelligent enough to know the response to “and with your spirit” is a single person, but it is generally intelligent enough to figure out if a sentence is a prayer addressed to God, so converting the former sentence to “and with thy spirit” is a case where manual intervention might be required, although it is unlikely because the AI software’s vast training data fortunately included enough liturgical texts so that it was, for instance, able to generate a convincing West Syriac anaphora with only one obvious mistake, as seen above, from one line of input, and then convert it to the traditional ecclesiastical English I posted with another.

However, in life in general, and especially in all matters to do with worship and prayer, complacency is to be avoided as slothful, and one must instead strive to be attentive, reverent and conscientious. If chatGPT or any future AIs are used in a complacent and slothful way, for example, if one just assumed the text it provided was accurate without checking, the results would be abhorrent for liturgical purposes, and disastrous if used in, for example, engineering, but these are valuable new tools if used correctly.

Another interesting aspect is liturgiology; if one trained GPT on enough liturgical texts it might be able to provide new insights on the origin of specific parts of liturgical texts, because most of them are a synthesis of influences from different places. For example, we know the Eastern Orthodox liturgy is a synthesis of Antiochene and Jerusalemite Eucharistic prayers, and the typikon and the Divine Office it specifies are the synthesis of materials compiled, but not neccessarily written by, the monks at Studios Monastery in Constantinople and Mar Sabbas Monastery in Palestine. However, what exactly is of Studite versus Sabaite origin, and how the balance shifted, for example, between the older typikon still used in the Russian Old Rite, and the newer typikon used on Mount Athos, and those churches that use it such as most of the Russian churches and the Georgian, Serbian and Jerusalemite patriarchates as well as by Greek and Romanian Old Calendarists. And also it can be used to quickly identify subtle differences that have formed over the centuries in the liturgical texts used by the different Eastern Orthodox churches, so that these can be preserved as part of the distinctive heritage of Holy Tradition as received in those countries, and such differences do exist. For example, even among the Russian Orthodox, some advocate using red vestments and paraments on Pascha, whereas others insist on white, and indeed this example is not reflected in the typikon which only specifies light or dark vestments, but it is an example of an emergent variation in liturgical usage that is obvious, but there are other subtler variations that an AI could detect that most human scholars would miss, and which are the sort of thing that could be inadvertantly or intentionally removed by ill-advised attempts at liturgical standardization.

But indeed, to be clear, I am not advocating that we go and tell chatGPT to write our hymns and services for us and then pray whatever it comes up with. Although I daresay it could do a better job than some late 20th century composers of liturgical books, who I need not name, for I think at this point most people in Traditional Theology would agree with me that their output has been a disaster. I also expect it could do a substantially better job than the rather creepy bishop who led the Rennovationist heretics who the Soviet government tried to give the Orthodox Church over to. I have a copy of his Rennovated form of the Divine Liturgy, and it is pretty bad, being an eclectic mix of Byzantine influences, some random stuff borrowed from the Ambrosian Rite in Milan, inexplicably, and other peculiarities. Although I have seen worse in recent years, from some extremely liberal churches, but the Rennovationist liturgy is probably the worst liturgical composition of its era.

Although prior to the communist takeover, there opened in Romania this weird Spiritualist-influenced heretical church which has an iconostasis and uses vaguely Byzantine liturgics, which I believe is still in operation, and I suspect its material would be worse, in that as incompetent as the liturgy of the Rennovationists was, it did not include anything blasphemous, which unfortunately cannot be said about some liturgies composed by the far left extremists in some mainline Protestant churches starting around 1990 or so, for example, the notorious output of the Womanist theologians that happened at the Reimagine! Conference around 1995, which featured a liturgy celebrated using milk and honey, which is a direct and explicit and probably deliberate violation of one of the ancient canon laws of the early church, which explictly prohibited that (whereas two other canons prohibited celebrating the Eucharist with water, or with fish in addition to the bread and wine, and the Mormons do the former, like the Hydroparastae of antiquity, while I am sure a survey would find some random duffers celebrating the Eucharist with fish (what would we call them, Icthyparastae?).

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Cool idea!

It is pretty amazing how verbose it can be based off a single sentence! Recently I asked for “give me a product description of Patriotic cards drawn by kids to support active military and veterans,” and it spit out seven long paragraphs for the description lol.

Indeed it is impressive, but it is unwise to trust it completely, because not only does it sometimes return erroneous output, on occasion its output can be grossly erroneous due to a malfunction that plagues Large Language Models known as “Hallucination.” Which perhaps is what happened to HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey (actually in 2010 its revealed HAL entered a fictitous error the film calls an “H-Moebius Loop” after being instructed to lie to Dr. Bowman and Dr. Poole about the true purpose of Discovery;s mission, which only the survey team in suspended animation and HAL knew about, in addition to a handful of bureaurcrats on the ground such as Dr. Heywood Floyd and the National Security Council and the President, the NSC advising the President that HAL should be thus instructed, but in real life AI hallucination, which is different from human hallucination but vaguely related on a conceptual level, is a problem and efforts are being made to fix it), but I believe NASA has learned from errors such as the destruction of Challenger, which resulted from a reckless decision to launch in weather so cold that icicles had formed on the vehicle, d despite knowing about potential weaknesses in the solid rocket booster O-rings, that they would not connect a modern spacecraft to an AI control system without considerably more advanced safeguards.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,270,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

ChatGPT isn't that different from using auto-complete on your phone. It works the same way, just on a bigger scale.

It's good at writing things, but not everything it writes is accurate. It will make stuff up sometimes, because it's basically operating off inference. So it sometimes makes what amounts to wild guesses.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
@The Liturgist I hope all the above wasn't generated by ChatGPT ^_^

No sir! All of it was hand written. When it comes to using chatGPT on ChristianForums, I believe it is ethical only to use it to the following four ways:

Firstly, it is entirely useful to use it, provided one does not rely on it exclusively and verifies its output, in searching scriptural and Patristic references, moreso the former than the latter, although it clearly has some knowledge* of the Fathers, but Scriptural texts, being more readily available, are better understood. I myself have only used it to search for scripture references on particular topics and manually checked the output, because in a few cases it suggested Scripture that was only tangentially useful, although in future I believe I can get it to provide more topic results, but it you can rest assured I won’t trust it for that purpose.

2. It is ethical with some caveats to use it for purposes of translation, to quickly make available something written in a language difficult to translate from, for example, Classical Armenian or Syriac or other languages not written using an English character set, or that someone does not know, provided that one discloses that the translation was provided by chatGPT owing to the risk of error, and links to the original language source material so that cross-checking is available, or else if someone does have some knowledge of the source language, to manually double check it. One would be guilty, whether posting on this forum or in general, of dishonesty through sloth if one used a translation from ChatGPT without either enough knowledge of the input language to verify the output, or without comparing the output with other existing translations, unless one disclosed that the output was sourced from ChatGPT (which is also something one should do whenever using it in an academic setting, indeed, disclosing precisely how chatGPT has been used to aid in an academic paper, and preserving and where appropriate disclosing all of the conversation sessions in their entirety that were used in the project, and also following any institutional and class-specific rules, for the misuse of chatGPT could constitute plagiarism, cheating or both). Needless to say in theory, but in practice necessary, the preceding use case and guidance, and indeed the other three use cases I am presenting here, apply to all AI systems, and not just to ChatGPT.

3. It is ethical to use chatGPT to assist with formatting, grammar, spell-checking, and related edits of text, though I have not done so as of yet.

4. It is likewise ethical to use chatGPT to produce content for discussion, as I have done in the OP of this thread, and also to use it for the purposes I outlined in your previous post.

Fortunately I already benefit from a deserved infamy as the most long-winded and pedantic poster on ChristianForums, as evinced by my refusal to use the title Pope in reference to the Bishops of Rome before the title began to be used by them in the sixth century, and likewise to avoid using it in reference to bishops of Alexandria before they began using it approximately three centuries before their Roman peers. However, I might well raise an eyebrow if some of our interlocutors from, shall we say, non-Traditional churches suddenly start to rival my pedantry or grandiloquence or began writing in a style more grammatically correct than what they had hitherto been using.

Reactions: Radicchio
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
ChatGPT isn't that different from using auto-complete on your phone. It works the same way, just on a bigger scale.

It's good at writing things, but not everything it writes is accurate. It will make stuff up sometimes, because it's basically operating off inference. So it sometimes makes what amounts to wild guesses.

Indeed, but the objection raised by Prodromos is valid. ChatGPT can be used to help write prayers to be sure, but only in a prayerful and conscientious manner. Which using the machine-generated anaphora I posted without correcting its various deficiencies and actual errors would not be…

Also I would argue that ChatGPT is more of a hybrid between autocomplete and a compiler used to generate assembly language or machine language or byte code for interpretation by a runtime environment like the JavaVM. Perhaps the best analogy for it would be a macro system like m4 or the C processor, or Lisp macros (most early research into AI was done using the Lisp language due to its flexible syntax and macros, which allow it to be reprogrammed on the fly). Of course ChatGPT is implemented very differently, as a large language model using a massive neural network, trained on high end machines with high end GPUs and other exotic hardware, and running on a powerful server farm with some unique aspects.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,189,975.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Fortunately I already benefit from a deserved infamy as the most long-winded and pedantic poster on ChristianForums
I, on the other hand, cannot write an essay to save my life :(. I am, or at least used to be, a voracious reader, but when it comes to writing I really struggle. Just don't get me talking or you won't be able to get me to shut up.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I, on the other hand, cannot write an essay to save my life :(. I am, or at least used to be, a voracious reader, but when it comes to writing I really struggle. Just don't get me talking or you won't be able to get me to shut up.

Well I would love to have a chat with you on Skype or Zoom or Airtime or some other platform as I greatly enjoy your posts, amd I had some Orthodox friends from Adelaide who I fell out of touch with and am pining for the experience of talking about my faith with an Australian. :)

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
By the way @prodromos I tend to mention you in a lot of my threads in the event I make an erroneous statement concerning Eastern Orthodoxy, for I value accuracy. I tend to CC @dzheremi for the same reason concerning Oriental Orthodoxy.

Upvote 0

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yup! I'm trying to write two essays for an MBA application and I haven't written anything beyond a page or two since seminary, 16 years ago. Yesterday I did consider using ChatGPT to write something that I could then model my own essay from. Maybe I should just hand it over to ChatTheLiturgist! :p

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟432,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Don't all of you PM me at once with your writing concerns :D, but ever since I started my current job back in December with an education company that focuses on helping K-12 students with their English and composition work, I've really grown to hate ChatGPT and similar AI. For now, it exists in that uncomfortable 'uncanny valley' of linguistic technology, where you can tell (especially by the time you're a few hundred essays in) that the writing you're looking at was probably at least aided by some type of program, and yet we are actually barred from treating it accordingly, since the technology on the 'other side' has yet to catch up so as to provide a commercially available detection software that passes the necessary threshold to be considered accurate enough to use.

So yeah, it's neat and all, but it's basically just a multi-million-dollar cheating machine.

• Haha
Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,027,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Indeed it is impressive, but it is unwise to trust it completely, because not only does it sometimes return erroneous output, on occasion its output can be grossly erroneous due to a malfunction that plagues Large Language Models known as “Hallucination.” Which perhaps is what happened to HAL in 2001: A Space Odyssey (actually in 2010 its revealed HAL entered a fictitous error the film calls an “H-Moebius Loop” after being instructed to lie to Dr. Bowman and Dr. Poole about the true purpose of Discovery;s mission, which only the survey team in suspended animation and HAL knew about, in addition to a handful of bureaurcrats on the ground such as Dr. Heywood Floyd and the National Security Council and the President, the NSC advising the President that HAL should be thus instructed, but in real life AI hallucination, which is different from human hallucination but vaguely related on a conceptual level, is a problem and efforts are being made to fix it), but I believe NASA has learned from errors such as the destruction of Challenger, which resulted from a reckless decision to launch in weather so cold that icicles had formed on the vehicle, d despite knowing about potential weaknesses in the solid rocket booster O-rings, that they would not connect a modern spacecraft to an AI control system without considerably more advanced safeguards.
Oh I agree that we shouldn’t trust it 100% and I have some mixed feelings about it ChatGPT. It’s interesting though!

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh I agree that we shouldn’t trust it 100% and I have some mixed feelings about it ChatGPT. It’s interesting though!
Exactly what I thought our AI overlord would say!!

1687349178192.png

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,248,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Naturally, we want our worship to be inspired by the Holy Spirit, particularly when it comes to something like an anaphora. And ChatGPT and other large language models, which are not only soulless but literally incapable of consciousness, since all these programs do is function in, as you say, a deterministic model, albeit one so complex that unlike a conventional computer program, the neural network that drives an AI is effectively a black box, and indeed it is trained more than it is programmed, with extreme amounts of computing power and specialized hardware used for the training process, but ultimately, it is still a machine created by humans, and since it can only output text, it could not reproduce itself, although multiple Ai networks can be used to produce each other - this is still basically a glorified computer program, relying on elaborate software running on high end hardware. But essentially, it is only an infinitely more advanced abacus.

However, computers are a valid tool for purposes of liturgics; computer software can be used for example to automatically generate the texts for the services with the appropriate propers based on the Eastern Orthodox typikon, and avoid potentially embarassing mistakes from incorrect use of the typikon, which is known to happen, and consequently the use of software in this way could silence the liturgical reformists in the fringes of the Orthodox Church such as at New Skete Monastery who propose a radical simplification of the liturgy and its rubrics, and enable instead the liturgical maximalism historically cultivated by ROCOR to be expanded to other jurisdiction. Indeed, in different Orthodox churches, software like this is already in use, and there is also such software available in the Roman Rite (santamissa.org , which generates the propers for the Latin Mass and the Divine Office according to a variety of versions of the service books). There is a superb app for the Coptic Orthodox liturgy called CopticReader which contains the entire Coptic Rite liturgy and can generate entire services with the correct propers for the day, without having to pull out a copy of the Psalmody, or the Khiak Psalmody, or the Euchologion, the Lectionary, the Synaxarion, etc, and additional sources which historically were documented only in relatively rare and poorly translated books, for example, the Paschalion, the English, Coptic and Arabic parallel of which I have, but which is very poorly translated. All of this is of course done using conventional software.

The legitimate utility of AI is to simplify the writing and maintenance of such software, as AI can efficiently translate human guidance into machine code, but one still needs to be a programmer qualified in the language in question in order to be able to communicate with the AI, debug the software, and also make sure it functions correctly, so essentially the AI is used to make programming less tedious, and to do things like check software for security errors, and perform changes to the code that could not easily be done using the existing basic UNIX or GNU text processing tools at a Linux, BSD, Solaris, Cygwin, MacOS or other UNIX-like command line, programs in use since the 1970s like grep, awk, sed and so on, which are immeasurably useful for text processing. The AI can also help with the use of these tools, provided it has been programmed in their use, and it can also in the case of ChatGPT be integrated with them, as there exist multiple programs which access chatGPT from a UNIx-like command line, so one can talk to it via the standard input and standard output, allowing its incorporation in a typical pipeline of UNIX like utilities.

In like manner chatGPT can be used for language translations, where it is infinitely superior to existing software, but herein liturgical applications would still require someone competent in both the input language and the output language in order to ensure that the output translation is of sufficient fidelity. It can also be used to translate between ecclesiastical English, which ROCOR has wisely retained, and contemporary language which is demanded elsewhere, to my frustration; I myself never like prayers in contemporary language, and to a certain extent one could already use tools like grep and sed, or the functionally similiar but less powerful Find and Replace feature in Microsoft Word, or a macro expansion program for that matter, to take an incorrectly translated phrase such as the dreaded “And also with you” popularized by the dreadful 1969 English translation of the Novus Ordo Missae, which Pope Benedict XVI to his credit insisted be replaced by the more correct “And with your spirit” and in this way greatly improve works like the 1979 BCP, or the 2006 Lutheran Service Book, by applying the late Pope Benedict’s change to them automatically. However, using ChatGPT, a complete change can be made to the entire text, albeit not all at once, since chatGPT can only handle about five or six paragraphs of text at a time (this post would be approaching its limit). This is also extremely beneficial because it promotes for the conscientious use of the AI system in performing such a conversion, by providing a convenient window of time in which to double check the reformatted text’s outputs, which is necessary as it is likely to make mistakes, for example, it is not intelligent enough to know the response to “and with your spirit” is a single person, but it is generally intelligent enough to figure out if a sentence is a prayer addressed to God, so converting the former sentence to “and with thy spirit” is a case where manual intervention might be required, although it is unlikely because the AI software’s vast training data fortunately included enough liturgical texts so that it was, for instance, able to generate a convincing West Syriac anaphora with only one obvious mistake, as seen above, from one line of input, and then convert it to the traditional ecclesiastical English I posted with another.

However, in life in general, and especially in all matters to do with worship and prayer, complacency is to be avoided as slothful, and one must instead strive to be attentive, reverent and conscientious. If chatGPT or any future AIs are used in a complacent and slothful way, for example, if one just assumed the text it provided was accurate without checking, the results would be abhorrent for liturgical purposes, and disastrous if used in, for example, engineering, but these are valuable new tools if used correctly.

Another interesting aspect is liturgiology; if one trained GPT on enough liturgical texts it might be able to provide new insights on the origin of specific parts of liturgical texts, because most of them are a synthesis of influences from different places. For example, we know the Eastern Orthodox liturgy is a synthesis of Antiochene and Jerusalemite Eucharistic prayers, and the typikon and the Divine Office it specifies are the synthesis of materials compiled, but not neccessarily written by, the monks at Studios Monastery in Constantinople and Mar Sabbas Monastery in Palestine. However, what exactly is of Studite versus Sabaite origin, and how the balance shifted, for example, between the older typikon still used in the Russian Old Rite, and the newer typikon used on Mount Athos, and those churches that use it such as most of the Russian churches and the Georgian, Serbian and Jerusalemite patriarchates as well as by Greek and Romanian Old Calendarists. And also it can be used to quickly identify subtle differences that have formed over the centuries in the liturgical texts used by the different Eastern Orthodox churches, so that these can be preserved as part of the distinctive heritage of Holy Tradition as received in those countries, and such differences do exist. For example, even among the Russian Orthodox, some advocate using red vestments and paraments on Pascha, whereas others insist on white, and indeed this example is not reflected in the typikon which only specifies light or dark vestments, but it is an example of an emergent variation in liturgical usage that is obvious, but there are other subtler variations that an AI could detect that most human scholars would miss, and which are the sort of thing that could be inadvertantly or intentionally removed by ill-advised attempts at liturgical standardization.

But indeed, to be clear, I am not advocating that we go and tell chatGPT to write our hymns and services for us and then pray whatever it comes up with. Although I daresay it could do a better job than some late 20th century composers of liturgical books, who I need not name, for I think at this point most people in Traditional Theology would agree with me that their output has been a disaster. I also expect it could do a substantially better job than the rather creepy bishop who led the Rennovationist heretics who the Soviet government tried to give the Orthodox Church over to. I have a copy of his Rennovated form of the Divine Liturgy, and it is pretty bad, being an eclectic mix of Byzantine influences, some random stuff borrowed from the Ambrosian Rite in Milan, inexplicably, and other peculiarities. Although I have seen worse in recent years, from some extremely liberal churches, but the Rennovationist liturgy is probably the worst liturgical composition of its era.

Although prior to the communist takeover, there opened in Romania this weird Spiritualist-influenced heretical church which has an iconostasis and uses vaguely Byzantine liturgics, which I believe is still in operation, and I suspect its material would be worse, in that as incompetent as the liturgy of the Rennovationists was, it did not include anything blasphemous, which unfortunately cannot be said about some liturgies composed by the far left extremists in some mainline Protestant churches starting around 1990 or so, for example, the notorious output of the Womanist theologians that happened at the Reimagine! Conference around 1995, which featured a liturgy celebrated using milk and honey, which is a direct and explicit and probably deliberate violation of one of the ancient canon laws of the early church, which explictly prohibited that (whereas two other canons prohibited celebrating the Eucharist with water, or with fish in addition to the bread and wine, and the Mormons do the former, like the Hydroparastae of antiquity, while I am sure a survey would find some random duffers celebrating the Eucharist with fish (what would we call them, Icthyparastae?).
So a friendly question: how would we know if your post here is from you of from AI? Sorry. How do you know my post is from me or from AI?

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟246,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Don't all of you PM me at once with your writing concerns :D, but ever since I started my current job back in December with an education company that focuses on helping K-12 students with their English and composition work, I've really grown to hate ChatGPT and similar AI. For now, it exists in that uncomfortable 'uncanny valley' of linguistic technology, where you can tell (especially by the time you're a few hundred essays in) that the writing you're looking at was probably at least aided by some type of program, and yet we are actually barred from treating it accordingly, since the technology on the 'other side' has yet to catch up so as to provide a commercially available detection software that passes the necessary threshold to be considered accurate enough to use.

So yeah, it's neat and all, but it's basically just a multi-million-dollar cheating machine.
What fascinates me is that so many people think artificial intelligence is real intelligence.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Yup! I'm trying to write two essays for an MBA application and I haven't written anything beyond a page or two since seminary, 16 years ago. Yesterday I did consider using ChatGPT to write something that I could then model my own essay from. Maybe I should just hand it over to ChatTheLiturgist! :p

I’d probably enjoy writing it too, for that matter, since I nearly went to business school, and retain a deep-seated fascination for management science. Indeed Armstrong & Kotler’s definitive marketing textbook in various editions (so I can track the history of marketing praxis) is one of the fixtures of my library. The frustrating and depressing thing about business as a subject is that there are too many incompetent and marginally competent managers whose ineptitude continues to destroy great companies, and entities which ought to be helping the problem, such as the once-great, but now infinitely overrated, management consultancy of McKinsey & Co., only serve to exacerbate the problem (indeed the worthlessness of McKinsey was rather hillariously exposed around 2002 when it came to light that their recent client list included K-Mart, United Airlines and Enron, all three of which were rather spectacularly bankrupt in the Noughties).

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟486,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
So a friendly question: how would we know if your post here is from you of from AI? Sorry. How do you know my post is from me or from AI?

Well therein lies the essence of the Turing Test. However one way you could tell if you were talking to ChatGPT would be to give it an input string known to cause what the AI alignment (safety) community calls “hallucination.”

One hallucination I have found is that the software can confuse the retirement dates of the Boeing 727-100 and Boeing 727-200, erroneously asserting that Delta last operated the 727-100 in 2003, when in fact the -100 had been gone for well over a decade by that point. As an aside, I greatly miss the 727.

Upvote 0