Catholic Perverts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed there was an inquiry into the subject of there being (allegedly) a lot of "perverts" in the Catholic clergy.

First, I think the motives of people asking the question need to be examined. Are they really concerned about kids, or is this polemical? Even if it is the latter, however, it is a charge (given media coverage), that needs to be addressed.

Most of the people who have taken a polemical tone over this series of tragedies, will cite "clerical celibacy" as being the reason why things like this occur.

But I propose looking at the situation from another angle, and believe that when you do such, it becomes obvious that is not the root cause of the problem. For instance, when you find a pedophile in the general population, do you even question for a second whether or not his demented affection is the result of being 'sexually deprived'? Of course not, you realize this is a condition that is the result of perhaps earlier childhood abuse experienced by the perpetraitor, or some other form of criminal illness of the mind. It could also be a result of sexually deviant attitudes on the whole, which said persons have lost control of; preying on children is a twisted fetish for them.

Obviously, no well adjusted person desires children, even if they're feeling "deprived", anymore than being simply sexually deprived would make a lust filled person want to act out with an animal. There's a leap which must occur elsewhere, in the mind, before such a monstrosity is possible.

Without over stressing the link between homosexuality and pedophilia (I think it's over stated, though there is in some cases a link), I think both homosexuals and pedophiles may be ending up in the priesthood in increasing numbers for similar reasons. While I don't think every second modern priest is a pedophile, I do think it is a problem, and a growing one, which Catholics have to get honest about (and I'm saying this as a Catholic.)

The problem, is that the priesthood is in itself a fairly safe, secure, challenge free job in it's modern expression. Priests now are more or less being molded into religious social workers. Fast disappearing is the sense that this is a manly position; where one stands as the intermediary between God and men, offering true sacrifices for sins, in the very person of Christ Jesus. In many cases, in particularly the religious life, the vocation has been entirely lost.

I think this, along with the general decline in clear Catholic teaching on all subjects, and the ascetical dimension of the faith (and a sense of seriousness), has contributed to the priesthood becoming a "soft job", and a good place for effiminate men, homosexuals, and sadly even pedophiles, to begin congregating. Given that all of these groups have a similar problem, they will be similarly drawn.

What is needed, is a "reform of the reform"...I say, admit we screwed up, return to a normal, Catholic sacramental life (traditional rites, appropriately modified, not just thrown out the window like the post-Vat II set did), and a return to that good old Christ based intolerance which so many "Catholics" are now trying to squirm out of. Because let's face it, Catholicism is a very intolerant religion; it knows it's right, it calls all else falsehood, and leads to perdition. This whole "pedophile" problem is only part of a much bigger mess, which is only snow balling.

Augustine

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree that there has to be a much stronger emphasis on traditional Catholic teaching; and in fact, the pendulum is swinging that way more and more all the time, now that the younger generation is coming into its own and the '60s generation is mercifully on its way out.

It's high time to start actually implementing what Vatican II actually stated, instead of the goofy liberal agendas that have been foisted off on the faithful, with the claim that they are what Vatican II stated. They're not.

However, I don't think that a return to The Golden Era of 1958 Before All That Ucky Stuff Happened is the answer, either.

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
I think you're both right. I'm going to add my $.02 too, now. My DH is a former seminarian from the Pontifical College Josephinum in Columbus, OH. It is a very conservative institution and the only pontifical institution in the U.S. When he was a senior, he was curious and went out to the Ohio State Univ bars, out of curiosity, but also because he just wanted to go somewhere for a few pints. Well, that wasn't allowed & the group he was with got caught. Everybody but him lied about their whereabouts (even though the rector and other formation advisors knew where these men had been). The ones that lied are now priests. My husband was not recommended to go onto Major seminary - because he told the TRUTH!!!!! When he questioned them, their answer was that they didn't want to create a scandal, and somebody admitting wrongdoing would do just that. His response was "so, you'd rather have somebody keep dirty secrets in the closet & have them come out later in a worse way than deal with them now and cause embarrassment now?" Granted, these men were not scoping out women and trying to get a cheap *hmm,hmm,hmm* but it is still sad that they were not punished for lying about what they were doing. Granted, they quickly dealt with seminarians who acted inappropriately in more serious ways (there were a few cross-dressers who mysteriously disappeared overnight)....

I think that is what is wrong with a lot of the Church today - they don't want to deal with the issue until it is forced out. I love my Church, but I find this flaw to be very damaging to the faith as a whole. :( I have non-Catholic friends who ask me if I'm afraid to let the priests touch Tommy! It is ridiculous. I know that our priests are all very holy men, and I highly doubt that any kind of thoughts like that have ever crossed their minds.

*sigh* Starting to ramble here, so I'll end while I'm ahead. :)

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Catholic Perverts?

That's not a very nice thing to say. I doubt if being catholic causes perversions. Most of my family and friends are catholic, and NONE of them are perverts!

But I think it's healthy and healing for the problems in the church to come out into the open. Bad things that are covered up rot and fester, both for the victim and the abuser, but opening it all up to the light of day and applying the salve of justice and mercy lets it heal.

Abuse left in secret spreads, widely and quickly.

Do you think the celebacy thing needs to be rethought? A lot of my catholic friends think so.

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
Hmmm... interesting. Haven't heard of it until now. I may check it out.

I don't know anything about the other men that my DH was with. They may be very fine, holy priests now. Chances are, they probably are (if they are in a good parish with a good priest for a role model). They just needed some time to mature (although, with that maturation, they should've been made to face up to the consequences of their actions - a reprimand at least).

Upvote 0

AlphaPhi

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
✟681.00
What bothers me is the comments by the Pope's private secretary this past weekend, using gays as a scapegoat, and basically turning the fact that the Church hasn't done the right thing from the begininning and thrown these molestors to the dogs into an attack on gays. He even said that gays are not welcomed in the priesthood, and in fact are incapable of being ordained. It was all quite vulgar and bigotted. Very disappointing.

While there is no strong tie between homosexuality and pedophilia, there are a lot of good gay priests out there. By my experience, perhaps as many as 1/3 of all the priests I know are probably gay. Including my confessor. Does that mean I've not recieved the sacrament of confession in two years? Or communion? Or my sister's child wasn't really baptized?

Its bad enough that the Church hasn't done the right thing about these molestors in the first place. But to drag an entirely unrelated and valuable subset of the priesthood through the mud to cover up the inaction of the Vatican is inexcusable.

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
IKWYM, AlphaPhi. I think there are lots of gay priests - just that they don't act on their tendencies. My DH (who is very conservative) doesn't see anything wrong with this, and neither do I. I mean, the act of homosexuality is a sin, and anyone committing it, is guilty. A priest takes a vow of celibacy, and shouldn't be committing any sexual act in the first place, be it homo- or heterosexual. In fact, I think religious life is a good place for these men, as it gives them a healthy and holy channel for their love to go (provided they maintain celibacy).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by AlphaPhi
What bothers me is the comments by the Pope's private secretary this past weekend, using gays as a scapegoat, and basically turning the fact that the Church hasn't done the right thing from the begininning and thrown these molestors to the dogs into an attack on gays. He even said that gays are not welcomed in the priesthood, and in fact are incapable of being ordained. It was all quite vulgar and bigotted. Very disappointing.

How heartbreaking!! I'm of the school who believes that homosexuality is something you are born with, like brown eyes or a talent for singing. Society is so cruel towards homosexuals that nobody would WILLINGLY choose to be of that orientation!

And I would think that a gay priest would be especially compassionate.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

JeTmAn

Guitar Geek
Feb 15, 2002
Visit site
✟340.00
I'm probably pushing my luck here...

Anyways, in my original thread I don't think I ever referred to pedophilic priests as "perverted", though I did to refer to what I see as perversions.

Now, concerning the homosexuality issue...do Catholics in general believe that it is not a sin to be homosexual? My interpretation of the Bible leads me to believe otherwise, as I thought the Catholic church did.

-JeTmAn

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Catholic Church does not feel that homosexual orientation is normal, but it is, in and of itself, not sinful, so long as it is not acted upon. Homosexual persons are called to celibacy.

So, homosexual orientation is not sinful. Homosexual activity is.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by VOW

How heartbreaking!! I'm of the school who believes that homosexuality is something you are born with, like brown eyes or a talent for singing. Society is so cruel towards homosexuals that nobody would WILLINGLY choose to be of that orientation!

And I would think that a gay priest would be especially compassionate.

I dunno about that first part. As far as I know (as someone who is involved in genome sequencing), homosexuality is not genetic in the sense that there is a "gay gene" that can be found and then possibly corrected (though it is my own hypothesis that gene defects that contribute to addictions such as alcoholism could also be condusive to spurring on a homosexual tendency). Therefore, I think rather, homosexuality is a predominantly environmental and sociological phenomenon. Of course, both of these could also be "out of the hands" of those affected, but I do think that all homosexuals have the will-power to abstain from such a practice. Just like all heterosexuals have the power to stay out of some else's bed as well. Homosexuality does not need to equate to permiscuity, nor does it equate to pedophilia either.

I think it incorrect to say that people would unwillingly choose to be homosexual, because I think people do choose to do so... for whatever reason.

Now, it need be said that being homosexual and practicing homosexuality are two different things. You know, the whole... "Hate the sin, love the sinner" deal. The Church does not condemn homosexuals for the mere fact that they are attracted to someone of the same sex. If they did that, we'd all be condemned for our thoughts alone, on any number of topics... temptation does not discriminate.. it affects us all in one way or another. What the Church condemns, and rightly so, is the act of same-sex sex.

People need to differentiate between the two.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by JeTmAn
Are there any kind of programs for helping gay priests to fight against this sort of sin?

Since ALL priests, no matter what sexual orientation they are, are required to be celibate, I would imagine they learn ways to channel the sexual urges: rock climbing, cold showers, and quite possibly, religious meditation.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

AngelAmidala

Legend
Feb 1, 2002
New York
Visit site
✟51,421.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Wolseley
The Catholic Church does not feel that homosexual orientation is normal, but it is, in and of itself, not sinful, so long as it is not acted upon. Homosexual persons are called to celibacy.

So, homosexual orientation is not sinful. Homosexual activity is.

Hey Wols! Thanks for that distinction! :)

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by nyj
As far as I know (as someone who is involved in genome sequencing), homosexuality is not genetic in the sense that there is a "gay gene" that can be found and then possibly corrected (though it is my own hypothesis that gene defects that contribute to addictions such as alcoholism could also be condusive to spurring on a homosexual tendency). Therefore, I think rather, homosexuality is a predominantly environmental and sociological phenomenon. Of course, both of these could also be "out of the hands" of those affected, but I do think that all homosexuals have the will-power to abstain from such a practice.

To nyj:

Truthfully, I think the jury will be out on the existence of any specific gene, or even genetic sequencing that would contribute or even cause homosexuality. Who would have thought that the four building blocks of DNA could be combined in so many zillions of way?

I base my "theory" of homosexuality being born, not made, on many things I've read over the years, but also on an extremely personal observation. I could no more "decide" to be homosexual than I could flap my arms and fly to the moon!

The emotional life of someone who is gay, even an "non-practicing" gay, is torture. Society makes no secret of pointing out how homosexuality is WRONG WRONG WRONG, and we hope you burn in HELL! The mental anguish at being blasted from every angle, I believe, is what drives many to drugs and/or suicide. I've heard where people try ANYTHING to change their orientation, aversion therapy, hypnosis, "de-programming," and of course, prayer, by themselves, friends, and family. You cannot for one moment doubt their sincerity in WANTING to change.

I don't condone the gay physical relationship, because I do believe that sex is something God invented, and it rightly belongs between a man and a woman, united in marriage. But I sure am not going to be one to cast the first stone at anyone, gay or straight.

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

AlphaPhi

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
✟681.00
Originally posted by nyj
I dunno about that first part. As far as I know (as someone who is involved in genome sequencing), homosexuality is not genetic in the sense that there is a "gay gene" that can be found and then possibly corrected (though it is my own hypothesis that gene defects that contribute to addictions such as alcoholism could also be condusive to spurring on a homosexual tendency).

Most reputable studies (ie, not ones done by so-called "Christian" scientists -- not Christian Scientists either, for that matter) point to a collection of different genes, followed up by some sort of environmental trigger either before or in the first years after birth. Like a submarine, the missile can't fire unless the button is pushed, but for the button to be pushed, all the keys have to be locked in an "armed" position.

I think it incorrect to say that people would unwillingly choose to be homosexual, because I think people do choose to do so... for whatever reason.

How do you define homosexual? Is it what you do or who you are? If by homosexual you mean "someone who actively lives a homosexual lifestyle," then you're right, people choose how they live. If you mean homosexual by "someone whose attracted to their own gender," then you are absolutely wrong.

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by AlphaPhi

Most reputable studies (ie, not ones done by so-called "Christian" scientists -- not Christian Scientists either, for that matter) point to a collection of different genes, followed up by some sort of environmental trigger either before or in the first years after birth. Like a submarine, the missile can't fire unless the button is pushed, but for the button to be pushed, all the keys have to be locked in an "armed" position.

As I said, it may be a combination of both, but it's definitely not an instance of a "gay gene". Rather, I think it's related to genes that are involved with obsessive/compulsive/addictive behavior, as seen in things like alcoholism. However, you MUST have an environmental/sociological factor that triggers this behavior.

How do you define homosexual? Is it what you do or who you are? If by homosexual you mean "someone who actively lives a homosexual lifestyle," then you're right, people choose how they live. If you mean homosexual by "someone whose attracted to their own gender," then you are absolutely wrong.

Both. I'd say that there are definitely people out there who choose to be homosexual because they derive pleasure from it, not because they are attracted any more strongly than they are to people of the opposite sex. Look at Sodom and Gommorah as an example. Look at the elite Roman pagan societies and their orgies. Look at ancient Japanese culture and the propensity of Japanese noblemen of sleeping with women and children (boys and girls). Were they all born with some 'homosexual disease' that they couldn't control? I doubt it. I think they chose to participate in it because they could.

To say that it is impossible for someone to say "Hey, I want to have homosexual sex not because I'm not attracted to someone of the same sex, but because I am simply lustful and seeking sexual fulfillment." I think you are dead wrong. The Bible and society both say otherwise.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.