Manhattan, KS
✟190,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does anyone here attend an assembly that actively encourages the gifts in operation and actually promotes them by means of giving believers opportunities to exercise them? If so, how are they encouraged?

I've attended a few Pentecostal and Assemblies of God churches and not a one of them ever did so and I'm wondering if that's a common thing or I just happened to strike out multiple times.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Does anyone here attend an assembly that actively encourages the gifts in operation and actually promotes them by means of giving believers opportunities to exercise them? If so, how are they encouraged?

I've attended a few Pentecostal and Assemblies of God churches and not a one of them ever did so and I'm wondering if that's a common thing or I just happened to strike out multiple times.

It's not common, especially now.

It all begins with leadership, if the pastor wants to allow The Holy Spirit to operate the gifts at their church or not, but a lot of pastors think that the gifts hinder membership so they would rather not have them operate. They may not be vocal about it to people there, but GOD knows their thoughts on it.

We had a period of time where The Holy Spirit was operating the gifts regularly in our services for a few years. He still does on and off, but not regularly anymore.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not common, especially now.

It all begins with leadership, if the pastor wants to allow The Holy Spirit to operate the gifts at their church or not, but a lot of pastors think that the gifts hinder membership so they would rather not have them operate. They may not be vocal about it to people there, but GOD knows their thoughts on it.

We had a period of time where The Holy Spirit was operating the gifts regularly in our services for a few years. He still does on and off, but not regularly anymore.

I have a book at home that I read through from time to time. The name fails me right now while I'm at work, but it's something like "The Spirit Filled Small Group" and it goes through various exercises on how to foster a Spirit oriented environment that encourages gifts to manifest. It's neat, but sad at the same time. For I have certainly never seen anything near that until I met this last group I joined.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I have a book at home that I read through from time to time. The name fails me right now while I'm at work, but it's something like "The Spirit Filled Small Group" and it goes through various exercises on how to foster a Spirit oriented environment that encourages gifts to manifest. It's neat, but sad at the same time. For I have certainly never seen anything near that until I met this last group I joined.

Holiness plays a big role also. The cleaner the congregation the more The Holy Spirit can operate the gifts.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Holiness plays a big role also. The cleaner the congregation the more The Holy Spirit can operate the gifts.

No argument there, that also ties into leadership. A good leader will filter down to the congregation in such matters as faith and holiness.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

I ordered this book and it arrived today. I'm pretty sure this was the one you were talking about. https://www.amazon.com/dp/0984311009?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I'll go through it some to get a feel for what the guy actually knows. It wasn't encouraging to see the guy dedicate the book to Peter Wagner,..... "his mentor and model in ministry."

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟804,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We attended a very small church that allowed "that actively encourages the gifts in operation and actually promotes them by means of giving believers opportunities to exercise them."

Things that I noticed were - the lyrics concentrated on God. Sometimes there were periods of time when we were silent in worship and waiting to see what direction the Holy Spirit wanted. Often the pastor would know when there was a prophetic word even who was to give it. It was noted and thankfulness for God's message. Prayers were offered in the name of Jesus. At other times, there were very, very few things that were off but there wasn't open criticism. Though there was an eye about the length of service, if services were long-e-r then there was a brief time for those who needed to leave could.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟247,257.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hello ByTheSpirit. I was in an AOG church 1999-2007 and also frequently attended a linked AOG. Opportunity for spiritual gifts seemed to decrease while I was there. Flow of service more controlled. Perhaps the structure of the denomination changed behind the scenes.

One of the oddest things I witnessed in AOG was that after a song the worship leader was singing quietly in tongues, maybe waiting for a word from the congregation. The pastor wanted to move it along, he stood up, whacked the microphone stand with his hand, the microphone then hit the worship leader on the nose and he stopped singing in tongues. That was his last time worship leading.

God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello ByTheSpirit. I was in an AOG church 1999-2007 and also frequently attended a linked AOG. Opportunity for spiritual gifts seemed to decrease while I was there. Flow of service more controlled. Perhaps the structure of the denomination changed behind the scenes.

One of the oddest things I witnessed in AOG was that after a song the worship leader was singing quietly in tongues, maybe waiting for a word from the congregation. The pastor wanted to move it along, he stood up, whacked the microphone stand with his hand, the microphone then hit the worship leader on the nose and he stopped singing in tongues. That was his last time worship leading.

God Bless :)

That wouldn't surprise me sadly. I know years ago when I frequented here I was a AoG minister and the last time I preached in front of a church, I was told in no less words, that I would not preach on healing. If I did, I'd give people false hope and when they didn't get healed they would leave the church. I should have done it anyway, but I didn't, but that has always stuck with me. How a Pentecostal denomination could call itself such and yet deny even a basic, fundamental principle of scripture. If we are honest about it, a person doesn't even need the Baptism of the Holy Spirit to pray for the sick. I was praying for sick people in a Baptist church so incredible and sad.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟190,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We attended a very small church that allowed "that actively encourages the gifts in operation and actually promotes them by means of giving believers opportunities to exercise them."

Things that I noticed were - the lyrics concentrated on God. Sometimes there were periods of time when we were silent in worship and waiting to see what direction the Holy Spirit wanted. Often the pastor would know when there was a prophetic word even who was to give it. It was noted and thankfulness for God's message. Prayers were offered in the name of Jesus. At other times, there were very, very few things that were off but there wasn't open criticism. Though there was an eye about the length of service, if services were long-e-r then there was a brief time for those who needed to leave could.

I often wonder if the tendency of gatherings to get big and expensive displays, light shows, rock bands, etc has lowered the expectancy of God actually showing up in services. You know? Like what if we just got back to the basics. Stripped our services of everything except honest worship, not saying acapella just simple, and good ol fashioned teaching from scripture. I bet you God would manifest in that kind of environment more than in the other.

• Informative
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The pastor wanted to move it along, he stood up, whacked the microphone stand with his hand, the microphone then hit the worship leader on the nose and he stopped singing in tongues. That was his last time worship leading. God Bless :)

A lot of times people are just putting a tune behind their prayer tongue,.... that is not singing in tongues.

Singing in tongues is no different than the corporate speaking of tongues, it requires an interpretation also.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟166,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

We had a talented guitarist/worship leader a while back, and I credit most of the operation of The Holy Spirit there during that time to him.

He has visited a few times since to fill in when the guitarist we have was on vacation or whatnot, and the same thing would want to happen again.

There is a difference in who really has a GOD given talent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟446,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

I have mostly experienced what you describe in small fellowship groups ... both those that 'existed' under a church 'umbrella', and those that were not associated with any particular denomination at all.

The Holy Spirit flows most freely where there is faith in God ... unity in the Spirit ... unity in His Love.

Nowadays, I think it can be more difficult to achieve this kind of unity in a large church setting, though certainly not impossible.

If the focus of any gathering, large or small, is on Jesus ...
on Jesus and His desires ... rather than on ours ...
hearts are open, receptive, and 'ready', for God to move ...

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟804,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Supporting mourningdove's post.

Being in "one accord, one mind"

"It came to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the Lord; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of musick, and praised the Lord, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the Lord;" II Chro 5:13

When they assembled in the Upper Room, with the women, they were in one accord in prayer and supplication. They continued to be in one accord on the day of Pentecost and we know how God moved. They continued daily being in one accord in the temple (Acts 1 and 2). When they were told to stop speaking of Jesus, they prayed in one accord (Acts 4). Their prayer is stated in v23-30 and the place was shaken and they spoke the gospel with boldness. They continued in one accord with many signs and wonders. It became apparent who were His followers. Philip preached Christ in Samaria. "And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did." (Acts 8). In Acts 15, after "much disputing," they concluded with what "seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord,..." "For it seemed good to the Holy Ghost, and to us..." The Holy Spirit lead them how to address the issue and to send out Barnabas and Paul to spread the results of their meeting. (Acts 15).

We are encouraged to be in one accord. In Phillippians 2: "Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves" and "Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:" (I Pet 3:8) and "Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you. (II Cor 13"11).

Being united in purpose.

Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

lanceleo

Apr 18, 2018
✟46,116.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Singing in tongues is no different than the corporate speaking of tongues, it requires an interpretation also.
Yes there's always no interpreter in tongues speaking assemblies. It's like God has missed out giving gift of interpreting tongues.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟804,244.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't see it as God missing it. Maybe a believer who has never been used in interpretation is struggling with this gift. Or at
a new church and unaware if there's an appointed believer by leadership as some use this practice. Or - sure there are others.

There is expectation of interpretation. But sometimes, "But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God."( I Cor 14::28).

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0