• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anyone with knowlage of OCD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

secretoceanmystery

I would be happy to write something like that for the benefits of others. I have suffered from ocd since the age of 8 (Now coming up to be 16) I know other people with it, (friends) and tendencies in my family. I've had a few different variations of ocd:

> Cleaning (I couldn't touch anything except tissue and water without being contaminated) My first fight with ocd at the age of only 8/9. Lasted a few months.
> Counting + Evening up Aged around 12/13 I had to stop when I started needing to touch things 100 times before I could move on, and that was when I knew I needed to stop that form of ocd.
> My latest obsession is with having a excessively tidy room and having perfect school work. I want all A*'s, anything below an A get's my stress levels up really bad.

There's not a great deal of information on the internet, but I have a lot of experiance so I can help with the article if you like. Who do I ask? Mods wise that is.

Upvote 0

inHisgripkim

You Are The Salt And Light Of The World
Apr 5, 2006
Arizona
✟10,962.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Roomann said:
Its really great this has been set up, it really is.
However, I think we should have a sticky thread, done by somebody who may be a a counciler, with a knowlage of OCD, to write a small section on OCD and how to overcome it, or how to live with it!
I'm really greatful this has been set up by the way :)
Those of us who have the OCD behavior and have been battling it know about it. What is it that you need to know?
Inhisgripkim

Upvote 0

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*MOD HAT*
none of us have the ability to diagnos or treat eachother. everything said should be checked with your therepist. the purpose for our lovely forum is support and fellowship. sharing coping/managing skills and links is meant to be a resource not a diagnosis or solution.

All advice given is just that, advice. It is strongly urged that members seek professional church, counselling, psychological, psychiatric or medical help first and not solely rely on advice in these forums.
*MOD HAT OFF*
:hug:
*warmfuzzies*
icon12.gif

Upvote 0

Im-revived

Working for God, through our Lord.
May 5, 2005
England
✟7,494.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Labour
This is just something thats recently had a massive change in someones life, i know, it doesn't mean go and try it. But basically this is whats happened to him. I will use his name as he isn't on here and also not a Christian, but its suprised many of us. Please don't do this without doctors advice!

Anyway Stuart is an alcoholic, was a smoker and also suffered very serious OCD, when I say serious it took 3 -4 hours to check things before going out, the same applied before going to bed and if he got up during the night. Absolutely everything had to be checked even contents of cupboards. Anyway 5 days ago, he went to the doctors saying he wanted to give up smoking. The doctor gave him patches to help, immediately he began using them, since then hes had no craving and not drunk any alcohol (were before he drunk everyday, even getting in debt cos off it) he also now has no ritual feeling of checking everything 80 odd times, he's calmer, not smoked even one cigarrette. He actually looks like a totally different guy, hes eating(wereas before he would check his food and anything he felt was in the wrong place on his plate, he would throw it out). I just thought I'd tell you this, as its amazing. But I do quote again don't necessary think this is the answer, it may just have worked for him, he did see the doctor first and had a medical, but his actual plan was just to stop smoking. Just thought I'd let you know!

Im-revived:hug:

Upvote 0

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im-revived, WOW! haha you know what? i used to smoke. before i was serious in my walk/ not in church etc. :sorry: ... anyway. i was way worse when i smoked. i had all these crazy rituals around smoking. i had to be outside. never in. i had to wear certain clothes. brush my teeth, change. redo makeup. stand a certain way. have a soda. blah blah blah... anyhow. stopping smoking changed me in all that, plus i also changed in appreanace (not pale) my physical self, plus my demenor and additude. i never thought about it, but boy i sure know it! :clap: soooo happy to have quit!! praises to God!! i did cold turkey= prayer ^_^ ... but truelly there is so many ways to. doctors got a whole list of stuff. there's even hotlines for free. :angel: glad you shared that.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.