• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Vows, promises etc.

phillev

Jan 4, 2024
Ipswich
✟826.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone, please bear with me on this. I've had OCD for as long as I can remember and I'm now 54. My biggest issue lately has been making promises and vows and bearing in mind my OCD is harm related I don't really want to elaborate too much but sometimes they are horrible ones that pop into my head about hurting those nearest and dearest. Obviously the compulsion is to nullify these by saying the opposite. Well last week I was saying a vow out loud about not doing the certain thing but I can't be sure if I said I'd never do it or if I forgot to say never which obviously means I would. If you say a vow incorrectly does that mean it's still valid or can you put it right? I've said so many vows out loud about not doing anything bad but OCD then makes me doubt I have and it's just an endless cycle. Please can anyone give me some advice, thank you.

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟144,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone, please bear with me on this. I've had OCD for as long as I can remember and I'm now 54. My biggest issue lately has been making promises and vows and bearing in mind my OCD is harm related I don't really want to elaborate too much but sometimes they are horrible ones that pop into my head about hurting those nearest and dearest. Obviously the compulsion is to nullify these by saying the opposite. Well last week I was saying a vow out loud about not doing the certain thing but I can't be sure if I said I'd never do it or if I forgot to say never which obviously means I would. If you say a vow incorrectly does that mean it's still valid or can you put it right? I've said so many vows out loud about not doing anything bad but OCD then makes me doubt I have and it's just an endless cycle. Please can anyone give me some advice, thank you.
Thank you for sharing! OCD can be so difficult to deal with. The fears you are sharing are very typical of OCD...both the harm obsession and the unwanted vow obsession. Are you familiar with how to treat OCD, for example using therapy or other mental strategies?

Upvote 0

phillev

Jan 4, 2024
Ipswich
✟826.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for sharing! OCD can be so difficult to deal with. The fears you are sharing are very typical of OCD...both the harm obsession and the unwanted vow obsession. Are you familiar with how to treat OCD, for example using therapy or other mental strategies?
Hello and thank you for the reply, I am familiar with ERP and have had the therapy and I do still use those tools to try and help my thought process. In fact some of the treatment would actually be to say and record the feared vow and listen to it over and over until my brain basically becomes numb to the idea. Unfortunately I haven't built myself up to this yet as I don't have the courage. There are so many contradictory comments on vows which doesn't help but I'm pretty sure a sinful one isn't binding anyway.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟144,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello and thank you for the reply, I am familiar with ERP and have had the therapy and I do still use those tools to try and help my thought process. In fact some of the treatment would actually be to say and record the feared vow and listen to it over and over until my brain basically becomes numb to the idea. Unfortunately I haven't built myself up to this yet as I don't have the courage. There are so many contradictory comments on vows which doesn't help but I'm pretty sure a sinful one isn't binding anyway.
I hope to write a longer response later, but did want to share a link to this online support group. Christianity and Anxiety Disorders
I can also share links to some other websites that I like!

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟144,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some other resources about religious OCD and scrupulosity are:
Blog - Scrupulosity.com
Mental Health - ACCFS
Breaking Free of OCD: My Battle With Mental Pain and How God Rescued Me by Jeff Wells
Strivings Within - The OCD Christian: Overcoming Doubt in the Storm of Anxiety by Mitzi VanCleve

How are you doing with compulsions? Are you able to work on limiting them, and reducing them over time?

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟967,131.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please can anyone give me some advice, thank you.
You cannot argue yourself out of OCD any more than you can argue yourself out of a bacterial infection.
  1. If you have not done so already, get a psychiatrist (not just a psychologist).
  2. Visit a church that is good at dealing with mental illnesses.*
*Like these UK churches,
(Links above are locators.)

Upvote 0