Anglican vs Baptist: What is the Difference in Their Beliefs?

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟436,465.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The wording I use is "Any baptised Christian is welcome to receive communion." In reality I'm not standing at the altar rail asking visitors for proof of their baptism.
That is almost identical to what I say but usually only at services at which there are a lot of visitors (weddings, funerals, Christmas and Easter, etc). I've never had the situation where someone I knew was unbaptized came up for Communion. I suppose that would only happen if we had been discussing/scheduling their baptism, and in that case, I really don't know what I would do.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,513,718.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I once had a visitor with whom I was chatting before the service, and I asked if he was familiar with Anglican services and what to expect. And he said something like, "Oh yes, I've been going to St. M's" (the next parish over) "and Fr. P. has been giving me communion. I know strictly it's against the rules because I'm not baptised, but he said it was okay."

To which I responded that if he wasn't baptised, we could fix that; and he said actually he'd been wanting to be baptised for some time. So we baptised him that day. :clap:

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having grown up in a Baptist congregation, and am now a member of an Episcopal Congregation, the differences are many and some are great.

I noticed something else that I really like about the Episcopal church: no one has, in the past year since I have been attending regularly, inquired about my beliefs, philosophy, or spirituality. It was impossible to get through a service at the local baptist church without someone asking some question like"Have you accepted Jesus....?"

I like that the people at the Episcopal church are not so aggressive and meddling.

Oh and interestingly enough, I got put to work helping with some projects at the Episcopal church, which I am more than happy to do.

This coming decades after not attending any church, and previously being told by other churches that my help. involvement, and dare I say Presence, was not really wanted.

It is nice and refreshing to have found a congregation that is thankful for the talents and efforts of each person.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟223,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You may be correct as I don't know all Baptists (there have been quite a few) but the ones I do know have all been literalists.
They sure don't take our Lord's "this is My Body..." literally. To them it's just a sip and a nibble done in remembrance, typically once a year.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟223,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, my mother was Madeleen Florence Boone, a direct descendant of Capt. Samuel Boone Jr. who married Mary Wightman, daughter of Reverend John Wightman whose brother Reverend Valentine Wightman (buried in The Wightman Cemetery - Groton, CT in 1747 who was the husband of Susannah Holmes, daughter of Mary Holmes, daughter of Mary Sayles, daughter of Roger Williams, The Founder of The State of Rhode Island & Founder of The First Baptist Church built in America in 1636......
Oh.

Upvote 0